Hanoi Shopping Tip

Search

Hanoi Shopping Tip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hanoi Shopping Tip

"Shopping in Hanoi should be a contact sport! The searching and bartering can be a memorable part of your trip to Viet Nam; an adventure which can be a lot of fun.

For me, however, I was tired at the end of my 2 weeks of work; had little time and patience for the Hanoi shopping adventure. And I was an English speaking female traveling alone. Yet, there were a few things I wanted to bring home.

If you are short on time or patience, and would like someone to take you to the best shopping areas in Hanoi, I would recommend a wonderful man named "Viet."

As a favor; Viet took me shopping for art work. He has a full time job in the hospitality industry in Hanoi. So, being a "shopping guide" is not his job.

Viet knew just where to go and was helpful in the negotiating. And I can tell you I got exactly what I wanted and saved a lot of time and money. He negotiated with the taxi whom I paid. And really, I had to insist that he take money from me for his time. Rather unusual for Viet Nam!

So, I suggested that Viet make himself available for other shoppers who have needs similar to mine. You can e-mail Viet directly and arrange a time and fee that works for both of you: [email protected].

As I said, he has a full time job, so you should contact him at least a few days in advance to see if he is available after work. You won't be disappointed. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me as well. Have fun!
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM

we found the shopping very easy in hanoi...never encountered any pushing or any kind of rude behaviour....
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Hi "rhkkmk"

I'm so glad you enjoyed your shopping experience in Hanoi. There are many people like you, who also find the experience pleasant.

It's funny because, I enjoyed every minute of my market shopping when I was in China last year. However, the alternative I set up in Viet Nam worked best for me.

It is a delight to travel home with treasures from "far away lands." And I am really enjoying the beautiful artwork that I brought home from Viet Nam. Hopefully you are enjoying your treasures from Viet Nam as well.

Old Jul 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Good for you for figuring out what you needed. I'm glad this worked out well for you.

Personally, I found shopping in Hanoi quite easy, and without the aggressive selling or bargaining I've found in some other places. But we all have different experiences.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 08:54 AM

I will be ending my trip to China with days in Viet Nam and have heard all sorts of wonderful things as to the items to bring home. I am wondering if I should save all my suitcase space for VN, rather than use it for China (although I can always squeeze in 1 more item).
Childlife - what type of artwork did you buy? I have seen some beautiful embroidery and am curious as to what to expect. I too love to bring home treasures from faraway lands and enjoy looking at/using them when I get home. I am not interested in having clothing made, just in crafts, artwork and other items for the home. Any recommendations?
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM

If you'll be in Hanoi, I have two recommendations. There is a fair trade crafts store called CraftLink. The main store is across the street from the Temple of Literature. There is also a branch at the Museum of Ethnology.

For fine Arts, take a look at the Museum of Fine Arts gift shop. We also purchased some lovely artwork in the old quarter at an art sshop.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 10:28 AM

The two things we bought in Hanoi were embroidered table cloths. Some were weird color combinations, but I found some white on white ones that were lovely. I also was careful to get the cotton fabric, not the polyester that yellows. They have stood up well to both home and comercial laundries as they do have to be ironed.

We also bought a oil and a water color painting that we spent about 20 x's more to frame here than they cost,but isn't that the fun of these treasures.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Thanks, Kathie, I will be in Hanoi as well as Hoi An and HCM city and will look out for the places you mentioned.

Kmkrnn - Glad to hear that the tablecloths have held up. I have always been hesitant to buy linens. I once bought a tablecloth in Provence which has worked out ok, but I would love to have one of the embroidered ones. Yeah, I know all about the costs of framing. I once got a batik cloth for next to nothing in Bali and spent a fortune to frame it. But now it is on my wall and I adore it.

I will be on the lookout for treasures from VN.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

As to your question: "Childlife - what type of artwork did you buy?"

What I sought was beautiful oil paintings that would remind me of Viet Nam. The oil paintings are in beautiful colors and are of women in Viet Nam inspired costumes.
As far as China vs. VN shopping… as I reflect on both of my trips, the best buys for me in China were pearls.
When I was in the market in Beijing, I met two American flight attendants who took me to their "pearl lady." She was in the silk market in Beijing. These flight attendants buy from this woman regularly as they resell the pearls at home. If you want her contact information, I can look it up when I return home next week.
When I had the pearls appraised in the U.S., the strands appraised for significantly higher than my purchase price. And a few of the strands were deemed exceptional.
From a logistical point of view, I would recommend that you save the suitcase space for VN. In that way, you won't have to haul your treasures across China and VN.
Really, I can't think of anything that I "would have gotten in China" that I couldn't get in VN. Perhaps a few others can weigh in with their opinion.

Good luck.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM

childlife: one day in Hue on private tour: what sites should we not miss? chose Hue over Hoi An as not interested in tailor made clothing.
p.s. I am retired MD
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Micarda

We saw the pretty typical tourist sites of Hue. That includes the Citadel, Thien Mu Pagoda, Emperpor's Tomb, Huong river, etc. So, I can't add much insight into anything unusual about the sites.

What I would say is that we really enjoyed being on the river and being transported to the sites via the boat.

Enjoy. Also, as other Fodorites suggested, I highly recommend reading "Up Country" by DeMille.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the information. Will read the suggested book as I have read his other books.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 04:59 AM

Could you please post the name of the shop where you bought the pearls in Beijing.
Thanks