Search

Unique Vietnam purchases?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unique Vietnam purchases?

Hello,
I'm visiting Vietnam the 1st two weeks in March - HCMC, Halong, and Hanoi. Looking for unique things to purchase that I'm unable to get in the US (and Cost Plus! . I've heard having something tailored is a good idea, if time allows. (I'm bringing a a dress to have duplicated). Any other ideas that I can look for? Thank you in advance. Sally
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 03:47 PM

There are some amazing crafts shops in each place that feature intricate embroideries . They are quite pricey, and we do regret not buying a piece when we saw it. I love mother of pearl, and found some beautiful trays.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 05:33 PM

We purchase original art work in Hanoi. The gift shop of the Fine Art Museum has lovely, inexpensive paintings. We also purchased some "paintings" made via embroidery that are exquisite and unique.

A warning about tailoring: Quality is ok but not great. Personally, I wouldn't have clothing made there but some people have reported good experiences, particularly if their expectations are not too high.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 06:55 PM

I second Kathie. I bought an embroidered painting (sounds weird but literally the stitching covers the entire canvas- not like the embroidery I did in junior high school). I have never seen anything like it before or since. Got it on the way to Halong Bay. Did not see it offered in the southern part of Viiet Nam.

On tailoring - again I agree with Kathie. Howeve had great luck with the following. Had silk bathrobes made . Picked a silk jacquard for the outside - lined in a complimentary silk lining. Quite pretty - made to measure. I bought one long and one short for myself- and had some made as gifts. This has been several years...but at the time had them made in Hoi An for $25. If they have gone up 2-4 times - still worth it.
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 08:16 PM

For the unique things in Hanoi i can introduce you to Indigo store in Hang Gai street (old quarter street near Guom Lake) The shop is small but is well curated with all quality, handmade items that range from women's clothing and accessories to unique dolls, table linens, and decorative pillowcases. You will find it's unique and made by hand. I had my scarf by Indigo store and i love it so much!
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 05:34 AM

Check out the fair trade crafts shop next to Koto (across the street from the temple of Literature) and also at the Ethnographic museum.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 06:34 AM

Silk goods are widely available in retain shops catering to locals as well as tourists. Souvenir shops can be tacky but some of the stuff may appeal as mementoes. At home I use a nice set of chopsticks in a carved wood box that cost very little and was easy to pack. Footwear and other leather can be very cheap if of unpredictable quality and suspicious logos, spread on the sidewalks in front of stores. Be prepared to bargain.
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 06:35 AM

Oops: That should be "retail" shops.....
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 11:38 AM

In HCMC at a shop near our hotel (the Sanouva on Ly Tu Trong, near the Ben Thanh market) I bought two lovely embroidered cotton dresses for our granddaughter. Sizes ran large--she's 2 years old and is just growing into the 1-year size I bought. They also sold lots of other cotton embroidery as well. The shop was recommended by the hotel, but I don't have the name and address--maybe Thanh Thuy?
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 12:11 PM

I bought hand designed and crafted silver jewelry (dragonfly necklaces with mother of pearl and earrings) and hand - cut brass bookmarks at a lovely new shop (less than a year old) in Hoi An. Den Long Bac--Silver Lanterns at 120 Nguyen Thai Hoc . Also had a couple of silk lanterns (small) made that fit over a black wood base that holds a candle. Other jewelry.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you one and all. From the embroidery, crafts, and art - I look forward to exploring it all. I appreciate the tips on tailoring, too. I will take the specific mention of street s and places along with me. Again, thank you all. Cheers!
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 10:28 PM

For me the quintessential. Vietnamese souvenirs were the lacquerware items, inlaid with mother of pearl that we brought back. Items varied from small boxes and bowls to intricate wall plaques. Quality is variable, as is the cost, but the good stuff is very, very high quality.