Search

Hanoi, Nha Trang and Hua Hin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hanoi, Nha Trang and Hua Hin

Hello everyone

I have been reading Fodor's travel forum for a while now - and other people's advice and opinions have been really helpful to me when planning previous holidays.

I am hoping that somebody might be able to help me with next Augusts holiday.

My husband and I are planning to visit Hanoi for 8 nights (Sheraton Hanoi or Sunway?? - any suggestions??)

We then want to spend some time relaxing near a beach. We are ideally looking for a place that is quite quiet, with local restaurants to eat in in the evenings.

We know August is the peak of the rainy season in Vietnam. Do we go to Nha Trang for 6 nights? or do we go to Hua Hin?? We are travelling with Kuoni, and the Nha Trang option is much more expensive. Is the weather nice in Nha Trang at the start of August?

We have visited Thailand before on several occasions (Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Krabi, Koh Samui, Bangkok) and we really love it there. Any suggestions for hotels in Hua Hin would be gratefully received!!! Is Hua Hin very busy??

I can't wait to hear back from anybody with some advice.

Debbie
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM

I don't know either the Sheraton Hanoi or the Sunway. I stayed at the de Syloia and liked it a lot. It's a small boutique property with a great staff, and a very good restaurant. The "best" hotel in Hanoi is the Sofitel.

I haven't been to Nha Trang, but have heard mixed reviews.

I've been to Hua Hin a couple of times. Hua Hin is not a "busy" resort like many others, it is quieter, but does have places to go if you want something livlier in the evening. I've stayed at the Anantara in the Deluxe Lagoon rooms and they were stunning. The service is superb at teh Anantara. The Lagoon rooms are the best (and have their own pool shared among the Lagoon rooms) but is a way from the beach a bit. The older rooms are closer to the beach.

I also stayed at the Hyatt, which is a large resort hotel. I stayed in the Regency Club rooms (which again, share a special Regency Club pool). The beach here is wider than at the Anantara. This is a beautiful property. Also, the Hyatt is a 5 minute walk from the place often voted as the best destination spa in the world, the Chiva Som. I had a couple of days of spa there and it was truly unforgettable.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:34 AM

i found huahin to be a laid back visit...the town is small and not too interesting, but the beach is nice and most of the major hotels have nice pools...we visited most of the major hotels and i would rank them as follows for our taste:

hyatt
marriott--we stayed here and loved it
sofitel
anantara

i would not consider the hilton unles they paid me to stay there, but it is the only one in the center of town which might appeal to you...

golfing is good in the area...there is an elephant camp near-by...there are the usual beach activities available...there are good restaurants and there is limited shopping and a night market...there is also accomodation at all levels of cost...

a good hotel site is:

www.huahin.20m.com
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Kathie.

I was hoping you would post a reply. I read a lot of your posts to do with the Anantara in the Golden Triangle (hope it's the same Kathie) - we went there last year and had a wonderful time. I will never forget bathing the elephants in the river with the mahouts!!

Was the Anantara, Hua Hin as nice as the GT??

Debbie
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rhkkmk

Looks like Hua Hin, rather than Nha Trang!

It is interesting that you mention the Marriott. We stayed at the Marriott Resort and Spa in Bangkok and loved it!! Have you stayed there? Is the Hua Hin hotel of a similar standard?

I would be interested to hear why this is your favourite Hua Hin hotel.

Thanks again for your reply

Debbie
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Hua Hin has a lot of top class places right on the beach, no beach roads to cross !!

Anantara is lovely with a great Mandara Spa, but the beach gets very narrow especialy at high tide.

I always think the Hilton, goodness knows how many storeys high although good rooms just isn't 'right', it's a huge high rise and the beach there is almost non existant.
The next one along the Sofitel was built originaly in 1920 and served as the Railway Hotel ( it was L'Hotel Phnom Penh in the movie the Killing Fields ) and is superbm but the beach there is quite busy.

Marriott is the next one along.

Next main ones are the Chiva Som Health resort and Spa, then the Hyatt Regency resort which has wide beach and nice frontage, also good view of the Golden Buddha at night, large grounds and large pools.

Along from the Hyatt Regency is the 'new' one in town, the Wora Bura resort and Spa, like the Sofitel the design is very 'a la Raffles', early 1900's design with superb design in the rooms, all ultra modern high tech but furnishings in classic 1900's Thai style, lots of wood, nice pool area, again right on the beach. Had a free night and dinner there are few weeks back, it was not completed, but certainly will be by now, this will certainly become a justly famous place, the main facade is palm trees and open foyer lobby with rooms surrounding pools and ponds. Great!

There are also lots of boutique style places along the beaches there. We have been going to Hua Hin for years and years, I think south of the center is by far the best, but we are the $30-40 crowd!! ( except when it's free !)

Hua Hin has changed a lot even in just the last year and nothing negative, tuk tuk drivers are still friendly and smiling, fares are honest and not touting or rip-offs, veerything is very sedate and calm, however, when you want a loud bar or to rock in the jungle, it's there too! There are a large number of temples a few minutes past the Hyatt area, Khao takiab is the most famous, but lots of others in the areas around Khao Takiab Bay ( no charges or anything, you can wander freely ). Also 3 elephant places now, one in the hills, one at Takiab bay and another new place a refuge..
HH is a cab ride from Bangkok and that certainly has it's bonus, whether from airport or downtown Bangkok it's a few hours ride, lots of great restaurants and good weather most of the year ( though saw on TV they are gettting their annual end of October wash-down at the moment ).
We also find it never seems to have excessive heat as there is a sea breeze.
www.huahin.20m.com good place to check pics of all those hotels and resorts and that gives you a good idea of what to expect. For the area past the Hyatt ( although nothing above 2 star accom, B&B's etc ) is Takiab Bay, and www.khao-takiab.com has some nice pics of the area, and that is just under 10 minutes from the centre of Hua Hin.

I will find what I posted about the Wora Bura and repost (tt) the information.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 08:16 AM

i think the bkk marriott is the best all around hotel in bkk....i have probably stayed there 20+ times...it has just enough lux for us but yet is very relaxed..

the huahin marriott is not the same general standard in the rooms...the rest of the resort is the same standard...i found the rooms smallish and dark...but we had the cheapest room i think...but you are never in your room there....the public areas are very nice and the pool and the beach are fantastic...the restaurants are nice...the spa if fantastic...and it is near to town...i would stay there again, although if i could get a good rate at the hyatt i would like to try it, although it is far out of town...sofitel looks nice...

we found the anantara, hushin to be quite issolated....it only looked ok to us but i have never seen the rooms...kathie has sung its praises however...

the golden triangle anantara is fantastic however in every respect...

all of them (anantaras) including the bkk and huahin marriotts are owned by the same company
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Yes, I am the Kathie whose reviews you've read of the Anantara at the Golden Triangle.

The deluxe Lagoon rooms at the Anantara Hua Hin are actually more stunning than those at the Golden Triangle. They have a separate shower as well as the deep soaking tub. The Deluxe Lagoon rooms are on the upper level and have soaring ceilings. The resort has several excellent restaurants, and you wouldn't have to ever leave the resort if you didn't want to. The downside of the Anantara is that the best rooms are away from the water. By the way, they have a wonderful spa. The treatment rooms are so beautifully designed!

Heed Bob's warning about the rooms at the Marriott Hua Hin, there have been complaints on this board about the rooms. Part of the question is how important are the rooms to you?

JamesA's review of the Wora Bura sounds great.

If you are looking for beautiful, upscale places, I'd suggest that the Sofitel, the Anantara in the Deluxe Lagoon Rooms, the Hyatt (though I think the rooms are smallish in comparison to the Anantara),and the new Wora Bura are the ones to consider.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your really useful replies!!!

Have any of you visited Hanoi and the surrounding area (Sapa, Halong Bay)??

We are visiting at the end of July / beginning of August. We know that it is the peak of the rainy season but were wondering what this means??? Overcast days and lots of rain throughout the day, or blue skies and torrential downpours?? We've looked on lots of weather websites, but they only give total rain fall figures.

Hope you can help.
Debbie
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 11:18 AM

I spent a week in Hanoi and very much enjoyed it. I was there in November, so can't help on the weather (though the best wether site I've founf is www.weatherbase.com). I opted to spend all of my week in Hanoi with a day trip to the Perfume Pagoda. Divediva recently reported on a Halong Bay trip, so take a look at her report.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie, Bob and JamesA

We have decided to stay at the Sheraton Hanoi for 8 nights, and then spend 6 nights in a lagoon room at the Anantara Hua Hin.

Can't wait to get there now!!

Debbie
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:29 AM

One of the 'problems' in choosing a place in Hua Hin is that there are 'so many good ones', I think the Hyatt is great and I wouldn't worry about it being about 7 minutes from town because the journey by tuk-tuk is probably less than walking from the Marriott. Some of the really good restaurants like "Let's Sea" are very close to the Hyatt.
because the central area was pretty much full more place have opened past the Chiva Som and Hyatt. We are still looking at properties in the area so may go down next week and check the Wora Bura.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:42 AM

also la mer restuarant is very close to the hyatt....i think the sheraton is new?? where is it??
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi again

The Sheraton is out of town a bit. It's on West Lake - address is K5, Nghi Tam, 11 Xuan Dieu Road.

The hotel offers a free shuttle bus into town several times a day. Our tour company only offered this hotel and the Sunway, and I have read some unpleasant things about the area around Sunway.

The hotel looks like nice, an it has a swimming pool, which we might be grateful of in August!

If you know of any good restaurants in the area I would love to hear about them.

Thanks again everyone for the advice on Hua Hin.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:12 AM

I did a thread on Hanoi restaurants a couple of years ago. You'll have to take taxis from the Sheraton, but they are cheap.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie
I've just found your reviews! Deb
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM

Hi there,
I currently live in hanoi but stayed at the Sheraton in october, nice hotel. Not being so close to everything because after a long day of sight seeing you'll like the peace and quiet that the hotel offers. I found the staff great and the breakfast really good, it was included in the price of the room. You can walk along Xuan Dieu Street and into town and see tons of things that are interesting. I am off to Nha Trang this weekend and I can let you know how it is.