Beach / Spa Getaway in Late October

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 01:14 PM
NancyShilepsky

Beach / Spa Getaway in Late October

We will have 5 nights between flights in and out of Bangkok and wondered where to go in late October. Thanks.

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, one of the best destination spas in the world is the Chiva Som in Hua Hin. I'm not fond of their very expensive accommodations, but you can stay a 5 minute walk away at the Hyatt and still utilize their spa. I know that the Hyatt has a new spa since I was there, and I've heard it is nice, but the Chiva Som is really special.

Another option wuld be to stay at the Anantara at Hua Hin. Choose the Deluxe Lagoon roooms. which are next door to the lovely spa. We had a spa package there that was fabulous - daily spa treatments, breakfasts, one dinner at the Italian restaurant, etc.

The beach at Hua Hin is just ok, but there are some really lovely resorts and the spas are great. And Hua Hin is a 2.5 hour drive from Bangkok so it's quick and easy to get there.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 02:31 PM
NancyShilepsky

Kathie - Thank you so much. These options sound great. I am curious as to why you are not fond of the accommodations at Chiva Som. Is it that they do not warrant the expense? Or something more? Also, how would you compare the Anatara to the Chiva Som? Both sound great. Thanks, Nancy

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM

The accommodations at the Chiva Som are mostly free-standing pavillions. I felt like they had little privacy. For the cost of staying there, I expected something pretty spectacular. The spa facilities at the Chiva Som are spectacular, and the variety of treatments offered is amazing. We went there several times, once for a full day of treatments that included such things as a half an hour in their flotation tank, as well as more usual hydrotherapy, massage, facial, body wraps, etc. Even the herbal steam was special, as was the cold plunge in the pool floated with rose petals.

The Anantara was really lovely. The Deluxe Lagoon rooms are stunning, and the spa is lovely. There are couples treatment suites, with an outdoor soaking tub. There is a separate swimming pool for the Lagoon rooms. Some of the buildings at the Anantara are older, and I wouldn't stay in those. The staff at the Anantara are really great.

At the Hyatt, we stayed in the Regency Club rooms. They wer nice and had their own pool (as well as the usual amenities of breakfast every morning and cocktails and canapes in the Club every evening. The best thing about the Hyatt was the 5 minute walk (via the beach) to the Chiva Som.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM

i would consider just staying in bkk all the time....i would choose one of the great riverside hotels with a nice pool area (marriott resort and spa, peninsula or sheraton orchid) and vedge out there....they all have wonderful spas and there are tons more all around town....just spend all your time there relaxing and don't waste any of it travelling to another place---each movement will require at least 1/2 day....
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:36 PM

I have been to Chiva Som twice and really like it. I have no issues with the rooms, I did not have the privacy issue, perhaps Kathie can explain that more what she means. I agree that the rooms are not completely luxurious on say the level of the Penn or Oriental (they are very nice however), but that is not really the purpose of the trip. The one other great thing about Chiva Som other than the zillion treatment options and their great yoga and fitness classes is the FOOD which is fantastic spa food. You don’t even realize it is health food (low fat, carb, sugar, etc). I am still trying to perfect the poached pears that their chef prepared several years ago. You can do a fasting plan as well. (You should see the mini-bar, not a chocolate bar in sight, I do have to smuggle in the Diet Coke....) I don’t know if non-guests can have any meals, but IMO the food is really one of the other compelling reason to stay there. (They even have it on room service.) The third is the health assessment given to guests, again, I don’t know that this is given to non-guests. The last is just the convenience of not having to travel from another hotel in street clothes to take a treatment; you can go over in a robe and then go back to your room still relaxed and in your robe. (That is my one issue with the Oriental’s spa, see below). With 5 days you have a pretty good chunk of time to really devote to a spa plan, so Chiva Som may be the place for you.

I agree that staying in Bangkok and just using one of the hotel’s spa is another good idea (although you won’t get the health food nor the fitness classes). I think the Oriental’s spa, in particular their aryuveduic spa, is excellent. I have not had such good treatments even in India. (I am not, however, such a fan of it’s location across the river from the hotel, I like to go to and from treatments in my robe to really get the relaxation benefit, exp for evening treatments).

You are going to maybe have a bit of rain in late October in both Bangkok and Hua Hin, if you wanted to sit on a beach, this may be a bit of an issue. You are just at the end of the rainy season for that area.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Cicerone, the little pavillions felt cramped to me. And as soon as you opened the door you were on someone else's patio! I may be in the minority here, but I looked at the pavillions, the rooms in the main building and the suites (also in the main building), and the only ones I liked were the suites.

When we did a full day at the Chiva Som, the health assessment was provided first thing in the morning and lunch was included. You also have access to all of the fitness, yoga and Tai Chi classes. I agree, Cicierone, the food was wonderful.

We did one full day and two half days at the Chiva Som while we were staying at the Hyatt.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Hmm, well I have stayed twice just in the regular rooms in the main building. I thought the room size was fine (as you know room size is a very major issue with me, it's a thing most people don't realize when comparing hotel prices and types) and did not have any privacy issue. I will say I don't recall spending a lot of time on the little patio so can't speak to that. I think I spent most of the non-spa outdoor time at the pool.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Cicerone, the rooms in the main building seemed more private to me than the little pavilions. I'm not particularly a pool person, and often spend time on a shaded patio or balcony reading during my beach holidays. It just depends on what you want to do. It sounds like teh accommodations at the Chiva Som were fine for you.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:38 AM

The Hyatt Hua Hin is only about USD 117 this time of year, another good one is the Wora Bura, I can't enter into the Chiva Som debate as have never been near it at those prices.
Queiter about 30 minutes south of Hua Hin Evason Hidaway Spa with Pool Villas is in the USD 400 range.
http://www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com/...ry_hotels.html

You also have places like the Royal Cliff Pattaya ( between Pattaya and Jomtien ), if you go for the Royal Grand section that goes from around USD 170 - 1,000, or the Royal Wing from about I guess USD 350 to I think I heard about 1,600 a night!
So perhaps the Chiva Som Hua Hin is not 'so' expensive after all

October is not an easy month at all as the weather is very changeable.