Search

Hanoi Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hanoi Hotels

Does anyone have a great suggestion for a clean, air conditioned, well located, hotel in Hanoi they would recommend? I would prefer less than 5* prices, but need a decent hotel, so all star levels would be considered. If anyone has a suggestion and can provide a website address, that would be GRAND! Thanks very much.
I'm going in 2 weeks.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:52 AM

I stayed at the DeSyloia and really liked it. It's a small boutique hotel, not a 5 star, but very nice. If you prefer a five star, the Sofitel Metropole is the best in town. The Hilton is well-located as well (I don't like it, but some do).

I'd book through one of the booking services, many here recommend www.vietnamstay.com I used the "old" www.asiahotels.com They have since changed hands and their service is no longer what it once was nor are the prices as low, but they are reputable.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Last November we stayed at the Sunway. Not 5 star, I think, reasonably priced, friendly staff, well located and a good evening restaurant. If I went back to Hanoi, I would not bother looking for an alternative.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM

I ended up in the 3 star Green Park earlier this year, and it was quite nice. The room was huge and quite clean. Breakfast in the top floor restaurant was nothing special, but the view was nice. It was close to Lenin Park and I could walk to Hoan Kiem Lake from there.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:14 PM

Hi Kathie, I will be staying at DeSyloia in November. what star rating would you say it is? are the beds comfortable and the bathroom good. Someone complains about not having enough hot water. Did you experience that? Since you have stayed there, do you remember how far walking it is to the HoanKiem lake and the shops like art galleries, silk & craft, church street for eateries and cafes... I will be with my 2 kids. Can I use the umbrella stroller from the hotel to the sites above or basically my kids (3 and 5 yr old) have to walk. How are the sidewalks and streets? I was recommended to look at the Church hotel and Quoc Hoa since they are closer to Hoan Kiem lake. Do you anything about these places? thanks.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 05:55 AM

Sorry, I don't know the other places you mention. We walked to the lake from the DeSyloia, bit it's a long walk and the traffic is crazy! You'll likely want to take a taxi from there with two small children.

We had an huge suite at the DeSyloia. The bathroom was huge with a separate shower and a jetted tub. The bed was comfortable.

We walked to some restaurants and such, but with two small children I'm not sure I would. Mostly because of the traffic (you take your life in your hands when you cross the street - there are no signals or traffic control devices) I don't see Hanoi as especially kid-friendly.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

http://www.swiss-belhotel.com/hanoi/hanoi_location.html

Anyone know anything about this one? My hotel guy is saying it is priced well, but I'm afraid it is located crappy. Any comments? Thanks to all who replied so far!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:41 PM

we stayed at the Melia one month ago and it was absolutely wonderful.
I highly recommend it.
Also, I've noticed a few people talking about Zephyr Hotel which is a little closer to the old quarter (on another forum)
this may be good to consider too
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:31 PM

I would recommend the SALUTE hotel - right in the heart of the old quarter - just a short walk to Hoan Kiem Lake. Cost only about $US25 - very friendly staff - decent size and clean rooms with A/C. But location is probably the drawcard - get an ustairs room and you look out over all the hustle and bustle of the Old Quarter - local restuarants secs away.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:29 AM

try www.hotelandtours.com

They offer quite a good range of hotels and you can also book your transfer and tours from the same site.

Good luck!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:41 PM

We were at the Melia in Feb. Melia is a big European chain hotel network. Got a good rate through Asia Rooms. I would not say it was one of the best places we had ever stayed, but it was clean, a basic comfortable room, but I found the lighting dingy,and had all the ameneties you would want.
The rate inculded a really huge buffet breakfast, also it was within walking distance of all the areas you might want to see.
It was clean, A/C, good food, very fair price.
Sue