Ancient City BKK

Search

Ancient City BKK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ancient City BKK

Any reports or thoughts about this historic replica park? How long would you need to visit this place?
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:00 AM

I just can't understand spending good vacation time looking at a replica...
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 02:37 PM

You can see ancient temples all over bangkok!

For that matter, maybe they are just charging you a much higher price, then having you walk into the back door of real ancient temples, but letting you think your in a real replica.....
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM

We were in BKK in Feb and for a short time were hosted by some Japanese businessmen who were a part of a company I'm with. After touring a plant where some of our goods are made, the President of the Company, gave us his Mercedes and driver and recommended the Ancient City.

Kathie and Icuy, have you been there???

It was incredible the way it was set up, not at all Disneylike. We only had about 3 hours to be there, but realized we needed at least a day. It was extremely peaceful, You can have your driver drive you around, or, you can rent bicycles, there are wild deer, villages, beautiful homes, some of it was amazing. I understand it was built by a very wealthy businessman who wanted to honor the wonderful sights of Thailand.
There were also good places to eat, markets, and some of the sights were actual, moved from the original, not replicas.
I would not rule out a day here at all, and, that said I want you to know I truly appreciate the real thing. One other point is that it was not crowded at all, and many times we were the only ones in a building or viewing a tremendous authentic Thai home or icon across a lake. The local Thais go there too and worship at the shrines etc.
It was not expensive either, even paying for a pass for the car (which was needed)
I recommend Ancient City, especially if one cannot visit Thailand top to bottom.
Sue
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:22 PM

I remember going there on my first of many trips to Thailand thirty years ago! I remember being fascinated at that time but not sure how I would feel now. I guess you could say if you didn't have much time it is " Thailand in a nutshell " but I would probably prefer to settle for the real thing.
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM

Well Peteralan, this was our 3rd visit to Thailand and I do not regret taking this half day out of our time there.

I do not like Disney- but this was restful peaceful and very true to form.
Sue
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:32 PM

It's worth noting that only some of the buildings are replicas. Many are the real thing, purchased from people who were going to tear them down. Some of the replicas represent buildings that no longer exist, so it's not like you can see the real thing if you wanted to.

The place continues to expand. If you haven't been in many years, it's worth a return trip. For the truly weird, try a stop at the Erawan Museum on the way. It was founded by the same man.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 01:11 AM

Hi
I agree with SueHuml - and I was living in Thailand for over a year before I went to Ancient City. Still thought it was wonderful.

MichaelBKK - is the Erawan museum the one with the massive elephant heads outside??
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 06:12 AM

A complete waste of time. Go see the real thing -- not reproductions.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 01:52 PM

How do you know it is a waste of time. Have you been there. I thought it was well worth a half day especialy for those that do not plan to visit other parts of Thailand except maybe the beaches. And as Michael says a lot of those reproductions do not actually exist anymore.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 05:16 PM

The Erawan Museum is the building in the shape of a giant elephant with three heads (Erawan). More information and pictures here: http://thailandforvisitors.com/centr...wan/index.html
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:47 PM

I'm guessing tose who phooh phoo Ancient City have not been there. Please read all these comments, especially comments from those who have visited this interesting peaceful area. It's not all replicas, it's not what one would expect, Ancient City, is worth a visit.
Sue