Thailand Help for an Asia newbie

Nov 27th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thailand Help for an Asia newbie

My hubby and I want to go to Thailand in June. We are already planning a big trip to South Africa in January, so he cannot take too much time off.

We would be leaving from JFK. We would like to see Bangkok and perhaps the tented Four Seasons camp that is opening up. Since two nights would be lost on the plane, do you think it is possible to do Thailand in 5 or 6 nights (not counting those nights on the plane). Or should we just plan another trip some place else?

Nov 27th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Personally I think you should go someplace else and save thailand for another time. But if you want to do thailand then just go to Bangkok and spend the whole time there. To go to two places in that time period would be crazy.
Nov 27th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Gloria is exactly right. If you want a very brief Thailand trip, spend the time in BKK, with a day trip or two. If you must have a break from BKK, Hua Hin (Cha Am) is just 2 and 1/2 hours by car and the Chiva Som is top notch.
Nov 27th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Gpanda, have you stayed at the Chiva Som? I've done fabulous spa treatments there, but when I toured all the room types, I found I really didn't like the accommodations. I wouldn't stay there (especially for the price!!), but I'd do spa tratmetns there.

That's really an aside. If you opt for Thailand, spend all your time in Bangkok. It's a fabulous city and six days isn't enough for all it has to offer.
Nov 27th, 2005, 06:05 PM

i agree with the others, but is 5 or 6 nites worth it after a 17 hour flight?? not sure...

june is a good time to go however...i have been the last two years in may/june..
Nov 28th, 2005, 01:47 AM

On such a short trip if you want some beach/temples/elephants/spa time I would go down to Hua hin for a couple of nights, the Chiva Som is very very expensive, the Hyatt Regency in June would costs around USD 120 including extras and they have a very good spa, pay another 20 or so $ and upgrade to the Regency Club Rooms so you can see some temples, do the Elephant Rides and have some R&R days.
Nov 28th, 2005, 03:39 AM

We actually stayed at the Central Sofitel in HH, which we found delightful. I mentioned the Chiva Som as a parallel to the Four Seasons in price. We really liked being in the midst of things at the Sofitel.
Nov 28th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Yes, spend the whole six nights in Bangkok. And what's this about a Four Seasons tented camp? I stay at the Four Seasons regularly in Bangkok and have never heard of such. I was just in Bangkok in August and will be leaving in three weeks to stay in Bangkok for three weeks and would like to check out this tented camp which I can't imagine would be in Bangkok. Happy Travels!
Nov 28th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Four Seasons Tented Camp- sounds like an Oxymoron.
Nov 28th, 2005, 10:01 AM

guen---there was one posting earlier about 4 seasons building a tented camp site up north near chiang rai....have not seen another thing about it....

sounds like you better check it out in december/january and let us know....if the rhinos charge the camp, they will stop in their tracks if they see you in an african mask...take one with you..
B
Nov 28th, 2005, 10:24 AM

what is the minimum amount of time some of the regulars on this board recommend is needed for a satisfying vacation in Thailand? Personally, I know how hard it was for me to even get 2 wks off (and that's all my vaca for 2005 wiped out!) thanks
Nov 28th, 2005, 10:37 AM

jessy, 2 weeks is really the minimum if you want to go to more than 2 places, but if you can only spare 10 or 12 nights, I would say stick to Bangkok and one other place, such as Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai or a beach, depending on your interests.
Nov 28th, 2005, 11:53 AM

I totally agree with Laurico. And if it's your first time then spend a full 5-6 nights in Bangkok...due to the time frame you have... and if you go up to Chiangmai, I'd say 3-4 nights. I prefer 3, but it depends on your likes/dislikes and energy level. I would put Bangkok at the end of your trip when you're over the jetlag and are relaxed. Happy Travels!
Nov 28th, 2005, 06:12 PM

i think that any time you could allow to spend in bkk is worthwhile, even if it is only 3 days....BUT...you have to weigh off cost vs enjoyment....

to answer your question directly---if you are coming from usa (jfk), i really think the minimum is 10 full days in thailand...so that really translates to 2 weeks....

our 3rd trip to thailand we spent 15-17 days in bangkok alone...several days we did not even leave the hotel..

the key is to pick the correct hotel for you...

we choose the marriott resort and spa...reasons: cost, location, amenities, POOL, staff, on river, convenience, oasis in the middle of one of the world's most wonderful and busy cities....sitting around that pool, you could be in bermuda, canary islands, HI, nantucket or florida...its an oasis...

for more lux, try some of the big guys: oriental, peninsula, shangri-la, sheraton grande, four seasons, conrad and tons more...

bangkok is a city where you could go just to eat as well...fabulous at reasonable prices...

the people---reason enough to go...

see if you can squeek out 14 days...go to bkk and maybe a couple of days someplace else, but you won't regret it if you only stay in bkk---providing you pick the right hotel....or you can stay in a couple of hotels...one on the river, and one on sukhumvit
Nov 29th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We talked it over and decided to go some place else. We will try for Thailand in 2007.