Hanoi Hotels

Jul 10th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Hanoi Hotels

Where would you recommend staying in Hanoi? We wish to be well located, so we can walk the city. We are not backpackers. Thanks. Carol
Jul 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM

The best hotel in the older area of Hanoi is the Metropole (Sofitel). We liked the DeSyloia, a small boutique hotel still within walking distance to the lake.
Jul 11th, 2008, 06:21 AM

Also liked the DeSyloia,but sure the walk is farther away than the Sofitel.
Jul 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM

The HIlton Hanoi Opera would be a good bet if you want luxury but do not want to pay Sofitel prices. About a 20 minute walk to the Lake, close to the Sofitel and next to the Opera House. Lamps in the rooms are currently in the running for "ugliest hotel lamps in Asia" competition, but otherwise I found it pleasant. Outdoor pool, good, lavish breakfast buffet, gaudy lobby, pleasant service. Not charming, of course, but a good bet.
Jul 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM

I wonder if they refer to it as...The Hanoi Hilton!
Jul 12th, 2008, 03:23 AM

Carol:

The Sofitel Metropole is absolutely lovely. If you are not daunted by the rates, book it and I am certain that you will enjoy your stay. They are doing some work on the property now so do inquire about the construction schedule if you are going soon.

Also, Sofitel has another high-end property in Hanoi so note that you want the Sofitel Metropole, not the Sofitel Plaza, if you want the very gracious old centrally-located property. The Plaza is a modern hotel.

The Hilton Hanoi Opera is also centrally located within easy walking distance of Hoan Kiem Lake. We stayed there for 10 or 11 nights two years ago and had a very good experience. More to the point, ekscrunchy above had a very good recent experience there. It is not as luxurious as the Metropole nor is it quite as expensive although their prices have risen steeply in the past two years. (Hanoi has definitely become much more expensive in the past couple of years, particularly for those of us whose home currency is the US dollar, of course.)

I don't know the DeSyloia, Nikko, Melia, etc., so cannot comment.

Most first-time visitors prefer to be in town but I must say that the new Intercontinental Hanoi Westlake out in the Ho Tay (Westlake) area is quite lovely and serene. A taxi to the center of the city costs about $4 USD.

Good luck.
Jul 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM

I also highly recommend the Sofitel Metropole. It's wonderful in every way. if you can afford it, go for it, you won't regret it!!!
Jul 12th, 2008, 07:36 PM

I loved the Hilton Opera. I found the rooms great, the Internet connection perfect, the breakfast fabulous, the bathrooms huge with separate tub and shower and lovely black granite counter tops, and it was spotless. Nice pillows (a must for me).

A five minute walk (depending on how good you are at crossing streets in Asian cities) gets you to the bar at the Metropole, so if you want to go a bit less expensive and be next door to the Metropole, book the Hilton.

The design in the rooms was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The Hanoi "Luxe guide" said the "interior designer should get a spanking". I think "luxe" doesn't like lacquer. Take it from me, the rooms are more than fine and I'm am a pretty picky person.
Jul 13th, 2008, 02:39 AM

BostonHarbour, did you like the Luxe guides? I think they are the worst guides, they suck. Not userfriendly and add no special information. For me they were a waste of money.
Jul 13th, 2008, 04:03 AM

We stayed at The Galaxy Hotel and found it to be very good in every way. It adjoins the Old Quarter and is only steps away hundreds of shops. The front desk was most helpful and the food was excellent.
Jul 13th, 2008, 04:34 AM

I believe the Nikko is "quite good" but nothing compares to the Metropole's old world charm! As is the Sofitel Plaza -not been there myself but hubby said it was satisfactory.
Jul 13th, 2008, 04:46 AM

USNR, how did you book the Galaxy?
Jul 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Galaxy has a web site, I believe. We were on a tour and they took care of all bookings, so I can't help you directly.
Jul 20th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. Carol
Jul 20th, 2008, 12:01 PM

We stayed at the Intercontinental Westlake in January after it just opened and it was great. It is about a 10 minute taxi ride from the heart of the city but the air is clearer out on the lake and the hotel was just great. The rooms are large and modern with views of the lake and the city and the service was stellar. Hanoi is a wonderful city and you will really enjoy it.