Hanoi - Halong Bay - Hue - Hoi An

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hanoi - Halong Bay - Hue - Hoi An

Hello from Manila!

A friend and I are planning an 11-day visit to Vietnam this June. Among our must-sees are Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An (including My Son), and Halong Bay.

A handful of questions to those who've been to Vietnam
1) How reliable are Vietnam Airlines schedules? Are they predictable, or are there frequent delays (or worse, cancellations!)?
2) Is 1 full day + 1 morning enough for Hue? I'm interested in the citadel, the perfume river, and the tombs... and of course, trying the food.
3) Is 1 full day + 1 morning enough for Hoi An and My Son?
4) Is 1 day enough for Halong Bay (including travel to and from Hanoi)? Is spending a night on a junk really worth it?
5) Is there [safe] transport from Danang to Hoi An after 6 PM?
6) How many hours should I allot for My Son (including travel to and from Hoi An)?

Thanks!!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 01:32 AM

hi,
As your favourite, you'd stay in hue 1nihght, full day visit old citadel, listen the music in the Perfume river at night. 1full day is enough for Hoi An-ancient town, and My Son, but a little quikly. And you can depart from Danang to Hoi An with the bus, it's safe and can be start at 6p.nm
You'd stay one night on the nice junk in Halong, it's really worth.
Hope to you'll have a good trip in Vietnam!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds a bit rushed, but doable. I'd recommend slowing down and appreciating your surroundings, especially in Hue, where the atmosphere is special. The boat trip up the Perfume River is really a day trip, and you could do the citadel in a morning. My Son takes a morning - arrange a car and driver rather than taking a tour bus. Definitely plan to overnight on Halong Bay, otherwise you'll spend most of the day getting there and back. Can't help with the planes, I used trains and buses.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 05:29 PM

1) Viet Nam Airline is pretty reliable within VietNam. Last year we visited Viet Nam. Our intinerary was very much the same with your plan. It is do-able
You might condider to take a week-end trip to Sapa via Victoria Hotel. It is about $300 US. Train+Hotel+Meals.

2) 1 and 1/2 day in Hue is good
3) One day in Hoi An is OK
4) It is worth to spend one night on a junk boat. I recommend Buffalo tour. Is is a two day deal
5) We flew from Hue to Danang. We took a taxi ( 15-20 US S) to Hoi An. Spent One night in Hoi An. Took Late flight to Saigon. Is is Safe.
6) 1/2 Day is good. Tour guide is highly suggested.

Have Fun In Viet Nam
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:57 PM

At least overnight at Halong Bay, two nights is better, 1 or 2 days is OK for Hue. I would spend more time at Hoi An too if you can. You won't really need to stay more than a few days in Hanoi.

http://www.travelsinasia.com/Vietnam/Vietnam.htm