Vietnam - I need your expert advise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going on a surgical mission to Hue Oct 19 - 28. Then I plan to explore the country with another nurse. I want to see as much as I can by Nov 8. Should we leave from Saigon or Hanoi to Hong Kong ( 2 days ) then back to the states, I just am not sure in which direction to begin as Hue is central.

I am not interested in spending time on a beach.
I do want to see Hoi An, I have read some reports and want to include an over night junk to Halong Bay
love markets
love bike rides
can I get to include Sapa?

This site has been instrumental in my travels...I know I can count on my fellow Fodorites

Thank you in advance....Max
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM

It sounds like it may make the most sense to limit your trip (other than a stop in Hoi An) to the north: Hanoi, Halong Bay and Sapa. Indeed, with 7 or 8 days, it will be a challenge to fit all of this! Two full days and one night will be taken up with Halong Bay, a minimum of three nights and for Sapa (that's two nights on the train and one in Sapa)leaves you with just three or four nights in Hanoi. Hanoi is a fascinating city.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 12:16 PM

kathie's plan sounds great.There are food markets in the old quarter in Hanoi which comes alive with early in the morning and HoiAn.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:11 PM

You'd likely be travelling by car and driver from Hue to Hoi An (on Oct 29th?), and should allow 2 nights there, as you will have to get from Hoi An to the airport in Danang to leave for Hanoi. Halong Bay and Sapa are back and forth trips from Hanoi, maybe with your Hanoi stay in between. It's tight, and wouldn't be my choice, but if your goal is to see as much as you can, then it can be done in the time you have.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kathie said. It might give you more time in Hoi An to take the overnight train from Danang to Hanoi instead of flying. Don't miss the ruins at My Son or the Champa Museum in Danang.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Can I do the Halong Bay in a day trip instead of over night or do you recommend the over night experience?

Thank you all....
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM

The day trip means you spend almost a whole day driving to and from Halong Bay, no real time to enjoy it. If it's worth it to you to go there, go for an overnight.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM

Definitely agree that you should overnight, otherwise you get too little time on the water for the time you spend in transit. You might need to decide whether Sapa or Halong Bay is more important. (Hint: a night on Halong Bay will be more comfortable than the train trip.) Hanoi deserves plenty of time.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

From the fodor reports I have learned .. inquire about a stay at The Hanoi Elegance Diamond located in the Old Quarter, Hanoi... go to Bai Tu Long Bay not Halong Bay....

Highlights, must do and see...
Perfume Pagoda, The History Museum, Museum of Ethnology, The Water Puppet Show?, Bac Ha market,

Please add or subtract...Thanks
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Oct 29, 30,31 in Hoi An ( hire a car and driver from Hue to Hoi An ) Saturday - Monday
Oct. 31 Nov. 1,2,3,4 ( Monday - Friday ) Hanoi
boat Nov. 5,6 ( Sat Sun)
Nov. 7 fly Hanoi - Hong Kong
Nov 10 Hong Kong - USA

How's this sound? Can not fit Sapa in....hope it's not a mistake as I do not think I will return to Vietnam...
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 06:08 PM

I agree that fitting Sapa in is difficult. Better to go at a reasonable pace and get a chance to experience some of VN than to see everything but experience nothing.

One person's must-see is another's yawn. Get a good guidebook and read and choose your own must-sees.

For me, the Museum of Ethnology and the Temple of Literature were must-sees. A walk through the old Quarter with stops at shops, markets, temples and historic houses was great. Getting off the beaten track and visiting some Buddhist temples away from the tourist section was a treat. We did go to the Perfume Pagoda but it is a full day trip and I don't know that you have time. I also don't know that I'd call it a must-see. I liked the History Museum, but wouldn't call it a must-see. We didn't bother with the water puppets, but you might love them.

We intentionally stayed outside the old quarter at the DeSyloia which we liked. You might want to be in the old quarter.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Kathie, your funny and it's so very true about one's preferences but I trust this site as it has helped take me all over the world! To special places I would never have known about without this site.

Would you believe the latest guide book will be out in Oct, too late. The other books I have goggled are several years old. Very disappointing.

Why did you stay out of the old quarter?

Should I not go to Hoi An and try to get Sapa in?

I think I will nix the puppets.

Any suggestions on getting from Hanoi to Hong Kong. I looked at Air Asia from Hanoi to Macau but can't seem to get Hong Kong reasonably. Ferry? There's a helicopter for 12 people but it's more than I want to spend.

Thank you
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Ok, new plan..my friend will not be joining me in Hong Kong, so I will add the 2 days and stay in Vietnam..I think I can now add Sapa, solo.

I have the air taken care of, disregard former question Hanoi - Hong Kong.

Please suggest the order of travel as I am not 100% what would be logistically best...to include:

hue to Hoi An, Hanoi, Boat, Sapa, Oct 29 - Nov 10

one grateful fodorite.... Max
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 06:28 AM

You should check the days for markets around Sapa. I think Tonkin travel advised me to arrive on Sunday, but it might have been Saturday.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Thursdaysd, I will check that out.

Can you recommend a good guide book published recently?
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:01 AM

I was one of those who stayed at (and raved about) the Hotel Elegance Diamond. Highly recommended in the mid-price category.

We couldn't fit Sapa into our itinerary, and are very sorry we missed it.

FWIW, missing the perfume pagoda in Hanoi probably isn't a big deal, since you can see plenty of pagodas in Hue.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Maxine - I usually use Lonely Planet. Not sure what the current date is.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 12:02 PM

The Perfume Pagoda is unique, with the series of temples going up the mountain and the ultimate one located in a huge cave. The scenery getting there is as worthwhile as the site itself. If you want to go, don't go on a holiday or weekend as it will be packed. We got there pretty early and it was not the "circus" described by the lonely Planet.
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

sf7303- I read your report ( so great! ) and that is why I will try and get reservations at the Diamond Hotel... I will also use some of your other recommendations...food etc... thanks

Thursdaysd- lonely planet's Vietnam book is 2009!
It is a Saturday for the market in Sapa..thanks

Thank you Kathie for your input..it sounds like if I can, to try and get the Perfume Pagoda in.

The newest plan is...the other nurse will join me and we will do the whole trip together......women!
Old Aug 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Sapa area ( at least in '07) had a small market on Friday, Can Cao on Saturday and Muong Hum market on Sunday. If you want to see some photos of Sapa countryside and markets, my photo siteis: web.mac.com/habitatphotos/Journeys/Welcome.html.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -