Haneda or Narita from LAX?

Nov 1st, 2017, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Haneda or Narita from LAX?

Advantages of one over the other? I know Haneda is closer to Tokyo. Both are non stop, same price and similar time schedule, on American. I also posted this on Air Travel forum.
Nov 1st, 2017, 10:44 AM

I was in Japan in August 2017 (Kyoto and Tokyo) and flew from LAX to Narita as that's where Singapore Air lands. But, had I had a choice, I would have flown into Haneda as it's a smaller airport. Plus, it costs a lot less to take transportation to/from Haneda, into Tokyo, than from Narita.

After landing in Tokyo, I changed planes (to ANA) and flew on to Osaka-Itami and then took MK Shuttle to Kyoto. But, after leaving Kyoto and Osaka-Itami airport to get back to Tokyo, I flew into Haneda and then took the public transportation to Tokyo (train) Station and it was really easy and fast.

When I left Tokyo, to go back to Narita, to fly back to L.A., I took the airport train, from Tokyo Station, and back to Narita. Of course, the Narita commute cost more and took longer than the Haneda commute.

Happy Travels!
Nov 1st, 2017, 10:54 AM
ltr

I agree with Guenmai. Haneda would be my choice due to the size and the ease and cost of transportation into Tokyo.
Nov 1st, 2017, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. That is what I was thinking but never knew anyone who used Haneda.
Nov 1st, 2017, 11:21 AM

Depending on where you will be staying in Tokyo, sometimes it is easier, and just as fast to use Narita. There are several direct methods (trains, limo bus) to get into Tokyo. Many trips from Haneda involve an extra transfer.

If you have a connecting domestic flight, or plan to take a train into the airport from another city, it can also make a difference in your choice.

I did have a problem when I flew into Haneda in the evening once. My flight was about an hour late. By then, the monorail and many of the trains had stopped for the evening. It was a long wait for a taxi, and very expensive.

But, Haneda is normally the fastest and cheapest.
Nov 1st, 2017, 11:32 AM

I would use Haneda, over Narita, if Singapore Air flew into it. For the 2018 trip to Japan, I had considered ANA from LAX to Haneda, but the airfare is much higher than on Singapore Air ( $502.68 more on ANA) and the non-stop-flight departure and arrival times are awful. Depart LAX at 1:20AM and arrive into Haneda at 5:00AM. So, I have bought my ticket on Singapore Air for 2018.

I realize that Delta and American both fly from LAX to Haneda and their airfare is almost the same as what I paid for a Singapore Air ticket to Narita. I am a Delta frequent flyer, in the U.S. and to Europe. I fly Premium Economy. But, I personally don't care to take either Delta or American, to Japan, and JAL's airfare is much more expensive, from LAX to Haneda, than what I paid on Singapore Air into Narita. Also, I'm not on JAL's or American's frequent flyer program and connected alliances.

I really loved flying on ANA from Narita to Osaka-Itami and Osaka-Itami to Haneda and the food was the best airline food that I've ever had. It was really nice to get a solid meal although the flight was only an hour and fifteen minutes. Again, I flew Premium Economy.

Happy Travels!
Nov 1st, 2017, 12:00 PM

If you plan to take train transportation from Haneda into Tokyo, the below video is the one that I used to get to Tokyo Station as I was staying about a 5-minute walk away from Tokyo Station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOzAxeIgR1U

I bought a Suica card, from the ticket machine in Haneda, I think it was, and then I didn't need to deal with individual paper tickets my entire trip. I just put in a 10,000 yen bill and was set for my entire 2 weeks as I had to also use the Suica to get from Tokyo Station back to Narita for my flight home. I also used to Suica to buy beverages out of vending machines and still have money left on it. But, didn't turn in the card to get the balance paid back to me as the card is good for 10 years and I now plan to return to Japan many more times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOzAxeIgR1U

Happy Travels!
Nov 1st, 2017, 01:01 PM

Looks like AA could have either a 777 or 787 to either airport depending on when the trip is. I would want the 787-8 (based on a quick check on seatguru for seat pitch). If that was used for both HND and NRT on the travel date then I would choose HND. Looks like the 777-300ER has an inch better than the 787-9, but might go with the latter if it was HND.

Arrival time for those flights is in the afternoon, so no problem with getting stuck at HND late at night.

Japan departure times between 5 and 7PM, so no big difference there, either.
Nov 1st, 2017, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. We will book LAX-Haneda. Same planes, new ones too.