Hands-on crafts in Kyoto and Tokyo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried any of the hands-on craft workshops in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm looking for a one-time class, preferably in the textile or basketry/bamboo area, and was wondering if there was any program anyone could recommend?
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 12:37 AM

Bonjour Rachel,

You may want to have a look here for tea ceremony : http://www.kyotoguide.com/e-p14-culture/culturecon.html

For hands-on experiences: http://kaiwai.city.kyoto.jp/sightdb/...ll.php?mcode=3 (click "search&quot

here for the Kyoto Museum of Traditional Crafts (or Fureaikan) where you can take part in various crafts and classes http://web.kyotoinet.or.jp/org/fureaika/

Old Jun 25th, 2005, 06:25 AM
emd

An update: for anyone looking for the Fureaikan website, I could not access it at the address Florence gave, but I found it here:
www.miyakomesse.jp/fureaika/index.html

However, it is in Japanese. I can't find any info on hands-on activites offered there.

In addition to the hand-on activites offered at the Kyoto Handicrafts center (woodblock printing, doll making, etc.), I have found info on ikebana, origami, calligraphy classes offered at the Kyoto International community House. I found this at: http://www.kcif.or.jp/en/newsletter/...es/05_2002.htm.

I am continuing my own search for hand-on art/craft activites and classes for my daughter and I to take advantage of next spring in Kyoto, so any additional info anyoen else can provide would be appreciated.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 09:50 AM
emd

Ok, wow. After many months of trying to piece together different places for hand on crafts in Kyoto, and having an email conversation w/a person in Kyoto who wants to charge me $400 for one day of taking me around to different craft making experiences, I finally found an absolutely amazing website that has good info, along w/addresses and phone numbers, for about 75 places in Kyoto that offer many different kinds of traditional hands-on craft experiences.

see: http://www.pref.kyoto.jp/visitkyoto/...ltural/crafts/

Enjoy! I am so psyched to find this info in one place. A concierge could call w/this info and easily set up a workshop for you. My son and I did a yuzen fabric stenciling workshop last March, without speaking any Japanese- it was mostly following along w/what we were shown how to do. It was very enjoyable and we each came home w/a piece we had made and painted (a table runner for me w/stensiling of the Golden Pavillion, a drawstring bag for him w/Mt Fuji). I think my daughter and I will make Kyoto sweets and soba noodles this time, and maybe a doll.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:14 PM
emd

Topping this for the people on here who are traveling to Japan w/teenagers soon, and because I am just so pleased w/this site and the info on it.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:21 PM

emd - I am not sure which craft place you and Son went to - was it Yuzen Experience Craft Center on Oike Minamiiru and Ogawa-dori or Kodai Yuzen-en Museum on Jumonji-cho and Imokuma nishiiru - they both appear to have courses.

Would you think a person without a child (like me)would enjoy it?

Thanks so much!!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:59 PM
emd

Oh yes, you'd enjoy it. I would have enjoyed it without my son (who is more adult than kid in his interests, really).

Tomoroow I'll go back into my notes and trip report (which is posted here) and see which Yuzen place it was. Once i post it back here for you, make sure to note that you should take a cab, because it took us a long time in the rain to find the building, even though we had a map and the name in Japanese (which was a very good thing).
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:08 PM
emd

Here is the info - I went back to the source document that I had with me in Kyoto where I found out about this place, and I copied it here for you. Note that there are other things you can make - I stenciled a long scarf w/a Kyoto scene that I use as a runner on my dresser, and my son stenciled a pouch-type purse thing. Also, you can watch the kimono fabric workers painting and working on the kimono fabrics. And the gift shop is really big and good. we had this place to ourselves on a rainy late afternoon. They typically close the workshops about 3 pm, but we had such a hard time
fidning it that they let us in to do the stenciling w/the instructor right at 3 pm. We left there at about 5 pm.

Yuzen Museum (Kodai Yuzen-en) (Shimogyo-ku) – Yuzen is a Kyoto style of textile dyeing, designs are either hand drawn or stenciled, then dyed in exquisite colors. Embroidery, gold or silver leaf may be added. The result is amazing. You can try textile dying yourself - make a handkerchief or tie at a workshop. Call for reservations 075.823-0500.

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:09 PM
emd

P.S. You can take subway to the nearest station, then cab it from there (5 min. cab at most, won't be much $). That is what we should have done....
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:47 AM

emd
arigato gozaimasu.....