Hakone Free Pass

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hakone Free Pass

Where can we buy this pass? Can we condense the trip to one day? If not can we travel to and fro from our Hotel in Tokyo with the pass. Can we buy the pass in the U.S.A.? How much does it cost? Can we take the Shinkansen from Tokyo and change somewhere?

We always find that the advice we receive is excellent and informative, so thank one and all in advance!!
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 08:01 PM
emd

Try this for all your questions:
www.jnto.go.jp/eng/RTG/PTG/pdf/pg-307.pdf
You can do a day trip from Tokyo or better yet, an overnight if you have the time. That is what we are doing on the way from Tokyo to Kyoto.
Also try: www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Browse this site for info on the HFP.
http://www.odakyu-group.co.jp/english/

You can get the HFP at the Odakyu station in Shinjuku and can take their train, the "Romance Car" to Hakone Yumoto where you can use the transport provided by the pass. I think the HFP is good for two days. You can get a shinkansen to Odawara station and you may be able to buy a HFP there or get a train to Hakone Yumoto and get one there. Check on the website.

No you can't travel to/from Tokyo with the pass.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 08:28 PM
emd

Yes, you can buy it at Odawara, and that is the preferred way to do it for those using a JR pass, or for those going to Hakone from other places, like Yokohama. It's all in those links.
But wait a minute- if she buys the pass at Shinjuku then she does get the train from Tokyo to Hakone on Odakyu line w/it (w/a 870 yen surcharge if you take the Romance Car). At least that is what the links say, and that is why it is more expensive to get the pass from Shinjuku than to get it at Odawara, n'est pas?
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 09:15 PM

You are right, emd. Here is what it says:

Only one round-trip between your departure station and Odawara Station is allowed on the Odakyu Line.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 03:55 AM
emd

oh, mrwunrfl, i hope you didn't accidentally pay twice for your train.

I've been researching these different Hakone passes, weekday vs. weeeknd ones, getting it in Odawara, etc. It's not completely straighforward, esp. because there are a few tram lines in Hakone that are not covered (like the one behind the Prince hotel, the cable car line that starts with a "K"- this is not the one from Gora to Togendai, but rather it is the cable car from the middle of the lake area).
There is a good list of all the many area attractions where you get discounts by having a Free Pass at
http://www.odakyo-group.co.jp/englis.../hakone_01.htm
BTW- Punky144 recently told us not to worry too much about this pass, as the info they give you when you buy it lays ouot the info pretty nicely regarding where and what lines it is used on, the places that give a discount w/the pass, etc. It sounds pretty easy as long as you know to go to Shinjuku and get the pass there and get on the right train.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:10 PM

No, just faulty memory. I bought the pass at Odakyu Shinjuku Station and paid the L'Ex surcharge for one way. I did this even though my JR Pass was still valid since it was very convenient as I was staying in Shinjuku. Took the Odakyu train to Hakone Yumoto, ..., bus back to Odawara and then JR on from there. On that last day, I left early from Moto Hakone Guest House, took the first boat across the lake, up, over, down, and around to Odawara. Then JR to Kamakura to see the Daibutsu, back to Atami to visit an onsen, back to Odawara for a Kodama to Tokyo, and JR line to spend the night at the Shinjuku Hilton.
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:39 AM
emd

mrwunrfl, you sure do get around.