Guesthouse or hotel for stay in Delhi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am leaving TOMORROW for India by way of the UK for a few days and need to make a decision ASAP today. I found a hotel that has everything that I want in Delhi including near my son who is working there for $225 a night(which was more than I wanted to spend but seems worth it). He has found his sister and I a guesthouse 10 minutes from him for $40 a night-it has A/C and western toilets he says but it also requires me to go up 2 flights of stairs as there is no elevator.
I need two knee replacements and just reading that is upsetting me along with "wondering" what we are really getting there. He is very upset with me and says that I am wasting alot of money.
What are your thoughts on guesthouse rooms in Delhi?(Normally, I love B and B's and smaller hotels .) Thanks so much!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM

My wife and I stayed in the Delhi Bed and Breakfast (great rating in Trip Advisor). The website is http://delhibedandbreakfast.com/

Very clean rooms, excellent food, and well located.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:09 AM

I have also booked that bed and breakfast as it gets really good reviews on tripadvisor. I have researched a number of Delhi hotels and $225 per night does seem expensive (even though Delhi can be an expensive city). Chances are that there is a happy medium between $225 and $40. If you search tripadvisor, I'm sure you can find something highly rated for $100 or $150. Alternatively, if you are paying for the hotel and are willing to pay that much, perhaps it doesn't really matter if your son thinks it's a waste of money.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 02:03 PM

The only thing to be wary off about the Delhi Bed and breakfast is that its transfer charges to and from the airport/railway station can be expensive. However, they are very reliable.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 06:03 PM

I think being near your son has to be a primary consideration because getting around Delhi can be interesting - unless you are staying someplace that will arrange and call fixed priced taxis for you, you will be out in the street negotiating with autorickshaw drivers for every single ride. We just got back from a stay at DBB and its a fine place to stay, but all of its rooms but one require a climb upstairs and it is somewhat obscurely located - so you also have to be prepared to explain carefully where you need to go to the autos (I doubt this would be true with a hotel). Id think about what I want to do while there, talk to your son and make your choice - it is your money, knees and choice after all. What are you planning to do in Delhi? If shopping, I recommend Dili Haat as a one-stop shopping stop if you are interested in handloomed textiles, shawls and such (quality much better than Cottage Industries, etc) , Fabindia (GK-1 N Block, the best, or Khan Market, second best) for the handloomed and other interesting fabrics made up into clothing. Its getting cool at night and morning in Delhi now, so AC is less likely to be an issue (except to reduce your exposure to the air, which is terrible.)
Most of the sites in Delhi require walking or some climbing - of the touristic sites I liked best Qutb Minar, the Craft Museum and the Jama Masjid, which reminded me of Piazza San Marco. If you go to old Delhi, the ParantheWalla is a must stop - the paranthas are really delicious and a great bargain.