Great Tour with Tong in Bangkok

Sep 13th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Great Tour with Tong in Bangkok

My wife and I just returned to our hotel after the 2nd of our day tours with Tong in Bangkok.

We did the City tour on Sunday and went to the floating market, Bridge over River Kwai and Tiger Temple today.

Tong is a superb guide. Thanks so much to all on here for suggesting her.We really enjoyed her style and her knowledge is exceptional. She just did everythnig she could to make our tours special.

We have been to Bangkok 8 times before and never have i enjoyed a trip as much as this one. It has to be done to the way Tong has shown us the sights.

Any questions on the tour please feel free to ask.

We are here until Saturday and then of to Cambodia for 4 days. Will report back from there.
Sep 13th, 2007, 04:35 AM

b-glad you enjoyed Tong. She is a delight, even for seasoned BKK visitors. We've booked her in November, but have no idea what we're going to do.
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Great to hear that you enjoyed your tour...
Tong's name always appear on this Forum...I will be visiting BKK in Feb next year..can i have her number pls?

Sep 13th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Here's Tong's email

[email protected]

Sep 13th, 2007, 05:20 AM

Can you tell me more about your experience at the tiger temple?

Also, since you've been to Bangkok many times, what did you do on your city tour that was new or did you revist places you'd been before?
Sep 13th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Thanks a lot...
Sep 13th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kristina

We really enjoyed the Tiger Temple tour for a variety of reasons.
Firstly it included an hour stop at the floating market and also a stop at the Bridge over the River Kwai.

As for the Tiger Temple: One really needs to see for oneself and make your mind up. For me I have seen wild animals poached to many times in Africa and therefore to see 10 plus Tigers so closely was a joy. Are they sedated? I really cant say yes or no but i have my doubts. The staff are very cautious but they make it an experience never to be missed. We held 3 cubs and played with them. Walking with the Tigers was amazing as was the close up photos (available if you pay 1000 thb donation). I guess my view is that if they were in the wild then the "wild " human animals would quickly poach them.

As for the other things we did. We normally just crash out in Bangkok at the start of an Asian tour and laze around during the day and feed / shop at night. This time we took in a full days tour of the Grand Palce, Reclli ning Buddha etc. It was very tiring but Tong makes the whole experience seem as though you are her special customer and she is a fountain of knowledge.
I would strongly recommend her.
Sep 13th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

IslandTour:

You may want to consider getting booked in. I know Tong is booked many moths in advance.

Sep 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Hi
We've got Tong booked for a day next April (thought I'd better get in early) I had wanted to do the same day as you ie Floating Market, Tiger Temple and River Kwai but was under the impression that was too much for one day. Can you give me some idea of your timings for the day?
Thanks
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Thanks for posting! We have two days with Tong next March.
I would also be interested in your timing like the pp.
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM

It's not so much a day as a marathon

For our day Tong picked us up at 6:30am and we drove (just under mach speed) to the Floating Market, stopping first at a lovely temple and then the china artisans shop (not a tourism/buying thing just really beautiful china).

Then the Floating Market for maybe about 90 minutes and then more fast driving (stopping at a carving workshop which Tong makes you run through with her dragging you by the hand)

Then the tigers! We had to be there by 12:15 to hold the baby tigers - the walk starts about 1pm.......we were there until 2:30 or 3:00 then we stopped at the Death River Railway stop (where the temple is) and walked a ways along the track - didn't do the train.

Then we had a wonderful late lunch at a restaurant on the water by the Bridge leaving there about 6:00pm and back to the hotel (exhausted from laughing and singing Hotel California) at about 8:00pm......only to start all over the next day (at a leisurely 8:30am)

Day two we went to the City Pillar Shrine and the Grand Palace - finished up there at about noon and then drove to the secret Fishing Village - back at about 7:15pm

Liz
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM

I tried to book Tong early Feb. and she was already booked. Good luck.
Sep 13th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Well it certainly isnt a short day! BUT i didnt feel it was to long at all.Perhaps we were lucky with traffic?

We left our Hotel (Grand Hyatt) st 06.45. First stop was the nice Temple Elizabeth S mentioned, we were there for i guess 15 mins. Its a small building and we werent rushed. Then we went to the Floating MArket. We were there for maybe 90 mins , had breakfast on our boat as we floated along the canals. Tong made sure we ate plenty as we were not going to eat again until much later in the day.

We had a stop at a wood factory (just for a toilet stop 5-10 mins).

We then stopped for 30 mins at the Bridge over River Kwai. Walked halfway across and came back again.

We then headed for the Tiger Temple arriving at 12. She needs to get you there by 1215 at the latest to ensure time to meet the cubs and walk with the Tigers.
This is where Tong excells. Even though there were 80-100 people there my wife and I were always the first in line for photos with the Tigers and to walk with the Tigers. How she does it is beyond me but it saved so much time and of course was such a great experience.
We had our "special " photo in the canyon (again we were both first to do it!) and then walked off to a private area where we went inside a cage with a bear, quite incredible. I dont believe any other toursit went to the same spot as we were alone for 20 mins with the bear.
We then had a choice of stopping for lunch it was now 3.00 or heading back to Bangkok. We decided to go straight back to Bangkok and try and last without food until we got back.
Tong had some snacks made in her freezer box and we got back to Bangkok at 545 pm.

Was it a long day? Yes but it didnt feel like it. We covered a great distance and I think its the only was to see all 3 places.

I would recommend it highly but make sure you eat plenty of food at the Floating market. The food there was sensational.
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Thanks I have sent an email to her. MSheinberg said that early Feb Tong was already fully booked.
Sep 13th, 2007, 07:25 PM

barn---the way you get to the front of the line with tong is quite simple....she tells the monks that you have volunteered to be food for the animals......

i suspect gives gives a good donation and visits often....
Sep 16th, 2007, 02:17 AM

Thankyou for your feedback. Am I right in presuming then that your visit to the River Kwai was just the bridge and didn't include the JEATH museum?
Sep 16th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Yes it was just the bridge. We were there for 30-45 mins.