Gorgeous Goa!

Mar 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Gorgeous Goa!

Continuing some of our trip highlights after "Missing Mumbai & Busy in Bangalore" posted early March.

We enjoyed our few days in Cochin (except for the humidity) but decided Kerala was not what we were looking for and decided to fly back to Bangalore & train it overnight to Hampi for a few days. Hampi was OK but not worth the 4 days we took to get there and to see the sights there. Compared to Angkor & Bagan it did not impress us all that much. We took a day train to Goa with spectacular scenery in the late afternoon and immediately fell in love with Panjim & what we saw of Goa. The weather is magic in March, not too hot, lovely warm days & cooler nights. We stayed at the Marriott on the River after a night at Afonso Guesthouse (dreadful beds) and Panjim Posada (nice but nothing special). The Marriott was fabulous and our room (128) had a little patio in the garden, looking out onto the river. The place is an sanctuary & we'll return later this year. Will post more when I've opened our mail! All the best!
Mar 21st, 2005, 07:52 PM

Hi Lyndie, can you tell me a little more about Goa and what you did there,what areas are best to stay (not that familiar with Goa)...as we are doing a Kerala Tour in November and are trying to decide if we should go to the Maldives or to Goa at the end...We will be doing Cochin, houseboat, Thekkady, Periyar Lake, Paravur and Kovalam and perhaps a day trip to Kanyakumari..Did you get to any of those places?? Thanks.
Mar 21st, 2005, 08:03 PM

Lyndie, when I suggested Goa Marriott some weeks ago you made a song and dance about how you were with Alan. Looks like you are now with me
Mar 21st, 2005, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Tracy B-we loved Goa after 16 days of pretty intense travelling to get there! We walked around the City for hours, did some shopping, hopped a local bus and went out to Old Goa to see some of the famous Catholic Churches there. We are not beach lovers, preferring to check out wonderful old buildings! We decided to chill out so checked in to the Marriott and ate and drank & watched the river barges, swam & shopped and generally hung out. Exactly what we needed! If you're into diving then Maldives may be a better choice. Kerala is not my favourite state. I'm not that into mosquitoes and water pollution!

agtoau
Mar 21st, 2005, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Sorry agtoau! A blight on this computer! Yes, after several great nights at "cheapies" we took a bus out to the Marriott and were gobsmacked! Especially after they gave us such a great room. The staff were a little under-trained and I had a pedicure with this guy who savaged my feet with a file so badly both my toes bled, however it was worth the 155 USD per night we paid. Blew our budget out the window but what the heck! And don't forget-a girl can change her mind anytime! Thanks for the great advice & I'm eating my hat now!
Mar 21st, 2005, 09:11 PM

Lyndie-ji, have you eaten at the Mandovi yet (at their Riorico restaurant)? Try the prawn curry rice, or the chicken cafreal or the prawn balchao.

The immediate vicinity of Goa Marriott is where I grew up. There was nothing there at the time, simply trees and the sea. That Panjim is now gone, alas. But I love the Marriott all the same (my family lives in the apartment right opposite its entrance).

Signing off from Silicon Valley.
Mar 21st, 2005, 09:28 PM

How many days Lyndie did you spend in Kerala?? Because from what I have heard it is one of the most beautiful places in the world...so I am just surprised by your response..Did you do any of the backwater trips or anything like that?
Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:19 PM

I disagree - Kerala is one of my favourite places in the world whilst Goa, although great, is further down the list because of the overdone tourism
Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:28 PM

Second that, Kerala was my favorite place while in India. So peaceful, hot, and lovely..a fantastic break from city life.
I too stayed at the Marriot in Goa and it was fabulous (although I could have done without seeing beefy dudes in tiny speedos by the pool)especially after staying in a 20 USD a night beach hotel that had mold in the shower, a drip for water pressure, and a bed that felt like I was sleeping on a hardwood floor.
Aaah good times.
Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

agtoau-hi there. No, we did not eat at the Mandovi (saw the Hotel)however we had two lovely dinners at a little hole in the wall behind Afonso guesthouse in Panjim and one great fish dinner at Panjim Inn. The other nights we ate room service on our terrace at the Marriott. I could live where your folks live, at Miramar! It is a lovely part of India. BTW do you know Casa Britona? We are thinking about staying there in Oct/Nov this year.

TraceyB-we had 4 nights at the Fort House in Cochin and travelled around by ferry and local boats. The backwaters off Vypin Island were polluted and the pricey cruises we were offered did not interest us. The weather in Kerala in early March was very humid and not too our liking. I was eaten by mossies in Cochin and could not wait to leave Kerala. It just not my cup of tea. Give me Karnataka & Goa anyday. Where and when we were in Goa, there was no overdone tourism at all! Hardly anyone anywhere. We were told by taxi drivers that the "tsunami" (wrong coastline) had frightened several people away-why I don't know???Goa was very quiet by March 15. Anyway, everyone doesn't like the same places, as we all know! Happy trip planning!
Apr 13th, 2005, 10:42 AM

I have not been to Kerala but have heard its amazing. I will say this though - depending on what youa re looking for - Maldives is gorgeous - crystal clear water and amazing diving. Goa - its a bout culture and gorgeous beaches. North Goa is very commercialized - South Goa still has gorgeous , clean and almost people free beaches! I got married in South Goa and it was awesome. Honeymooned in the Maldives and it definitely is one of the most beautiful, peaceful places I have been too.
Apr 24th, 2005, 02:37 AM

Hi everybody,
I came across a great boutique resort by the name of Casa Britona just a 5 minute drive away from Panjim. It is really cute and unusual the food there is to die for and the staff is super friendly without being too overbearing. I paid RS4000 and that included all meals for me and my husband. All the rooms have a gorgeous view of the back waters of the river mandovi. It is a must stay for anyone who comes to Goa. Loved it. The same owner has a boutique hotel by the beach in Baga called Casa Baga. We stayed there for 3 nights. I would recommend both these villas to anyone wanting to visit Goa.
May 7th, 2005, 01:48 AM

Hey Lyndie,
yes i do know Casa Britona. I must say that I loved my stay there, cant stop raving about the palace, the staff, the food oh the rooms are to die for. The view is gorgeous and it gave me a very nice feel of village goa. The website is pretty simple but it would give you an idea of the place www.casabritona.com
Jul 30th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Hi Yanasingh --
You said your stay at Casa Britona included all meals for 4000. But their website says only breakfast is included. Are you certain you got all meals? Thanks