Need help choosing hotel/resort

May 1st, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Need help choosing hotel/resort

Our family's last 4 days in Australia will be in the Brisbane area in late June. I Welcome your advice on staying at the Surfer's Paradise Marriott OR the Sheraton Mirage. Our kids are 17 and 20. Will it be warm enough to swim in the ocean?
Many thanks!
May 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM

In late June the water temp is COOL! As in too cool, imho. I've stayed at both the Marriott (in 2001) & Mirage & the Marriott is my favourite. The pool is magical & they have a lagoon with fish and snorkelling etc. The bar & restaurant had the best tapas & great cocktails. Marriott is a fair walk over the road to the beach, though. The Mirage was nice but much more formal than the Marriott. Mirage needed an update last time we visited. I think it was 1999 or 2000. The seafood buffet at the Mirage is magnificent but level 18 at the Marriott was glorious for us. You must request a ocean/pool view not the hinterland view. It's worth the extra money.
May 2nd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your honest comments and advice. With the Marriott being half the cost of Mirage my decision is made!
May 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Hope you have a marvellous holiday. If you have a car, drive down and have lunch or dinner at the Currumbin Vikings Surf Club on the beach. Check opening hours. The food is fabulous & so cheap! Currumbin is my absolute favourite place on the Gold Coast. Their is a lovely little cafe opposite the beach that has the best breakfasts. Their is a wondeful bird sanctuary there also. Main Beach, near Sheraton Mirage has some nice cafes also. Surfers is a dump-get out and see some of the lovely mountains above the coast.
May 5th, 2005, 07:11 PM

I have to agree, get out of Surfers, although your kids will prob love it. I was 21 when I was there, but still didn't like it as much as others my age.
It was a big party & reminded me of the beach communities at home, definitly not why I traveled to Australia.