'Girl Friendly Hotel' in HCMC??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HA! I thought that might get your attention!

Soooo, we will be in HCMC in June and are trying to locate a clean/decent/quiet hotel for about $100 per night... my husband recently met some guy who told him about this hotel called A&EM Hotel in HCMC on Ly Tu Trong Street. This guy just stayed there and says it was about $50 pn for a double room.

So I go to tripadvisor.com and can't find any reviews...I google it and nothing really comes up. Then I see some site that specifically references it so I click the link. Well, it's a sex site that is talking about 'girl friendly hotels' and this one is named. Groooosssss.

My husbands 'friend' said there are three hotels with the same name (?) and we want the one on ly tu trong street...I google'd it with the street name and still get nothin'.

Has anyone heard of or know anything about this 'hotel'?
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM

Never heard of it. But there is another thread further down discussing you exact topic. Take a look for some good advice on area hotels.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:58 AM

$100 usd a night is quite a lot for HCMC. You can find excellent accommo for much less.

But of course you think you're being extrememly adventurous in staying somewhere that far down the food chain.

Of course your definition of clean/quiet/decent may be different from mine.

Why don't you do some further research?

check out:

hostelbookers, travelfish, lonely planet.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:10 AM

afterall:

Why on earth would danasgirl bother with research when she can clearly rely on advice from 'some guy her husband met recently'?

Let her go to the mystery hotel on Ly Tu Trong St. She'll probably be sold to slavery by the bell-hop and we'll all get a laugh out of it.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:40 AM

Take a look at the thread "best Value Hotel in HCMC"
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Hey now dogster...be nice.

Well, my husband is all about saving $$ and this sometimes has gotten us into interesting 'adventures'. I try to do the research and booking of hotels and flights just to keep us out of trouble. He was so excited to hear about this 'hotel' for $50 per night. From the research I 've done thus far on hotels in HCMC it just didn't sound legit.

It seems that you can find an okay backpackers hotel for that price, Not to sound snobby but I've done that before and this time we can afford to go nicer...unless DH tries to do the hotel booking for us.

I was just wondering if any of you had heard of it before.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Hi danasgirl,
nice to hear from you again.
By the way, >girl friendly hotels< are still officially prohibited in Vietnam as the whole >business< is.
What about asking saigontourist or vietnamtourist about this mysterious A&EM? Both organizations have also a lot of own hotels.
For 100 USD its easy to find a good medium-class one. I stayed at Bong Sen (and -Annex), Grand and Saigon hotel.The last one during my visit a budget hotel. But now upgraded into the 100 dollar range.
Did you book the gecko-friendly on Phu Quoc already?
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi Wolfmisc,

Nice to see you too! No haven't yet booked Phu Quoc, I am still waiting for a reply from the Sea Star resort where I think we'd like to stay.

About the mysterious hotel...turns out that my husband met a man (friend of a friend kinda thing) in Las Vegas and this man has a furnished apartment in this A&EM Hotel place. This guy goes to Vietnam enough that it warrents him to keep an apt there. He said it's a great place, this man is an american and a business man who likes nice places and doesn't 'slum it'. I still can't find any information on it except on that 'girly' website. My husband returns from Las Vegas tonight so maybe he will have more info for me then.

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM

It sounds like it may be a serviced apartment rather than a hotel.

I'm a bit bewildered about why you feel the need to stay at this place. There are lots of nice places to stay in HCMC, and you certainly don't need to go with the recommendation of a friend of a friend of your husband's who he met in Las Vegas (I thought what happened in Vegas stayed in Vegas). Instead, you could take the advice of perfect strangers on the internet.

;-)
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Yay Kathie! You made me laugh.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

I agree Kathie,(you made me laugh too) but you have to know my penny piching husband!

I know what I have to do...I have to check this 'recommended' place out just to please DH then book the place that I want to stay.

DH rely's on me asking all you great Fordorite's for your opinion...so once I tell him none of you have ever heard of the A&EM Hotel and that there are many other mid range places we can stay in for just a wee bit more, he'll be satisfied and that will be that!

Also - know that I'm not the one that wants to stay here, it's DH who thinks it sounds GREAT!! UGH.

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM

A & EM Hotel system has 5 two star hotels in HCMC. Not much else on them, other than they are one of the countless establishments in that price range. I would not recommend booking this sort of place in advance unless you have stayed there before. Even within the same hotel rooms tend to vary widely. If you want this sort of place, take your chances and inquire when you are there, see the room before you commit, and negotiate price. There are so many of these places you will not be without a room.

If you google
Saigon "A & EM" hotel
you'll see some references and a couple of online agents that book them. If you remove the quotes, you'll get lots more results, but many unrelated.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:35 PM

http://www.hotels-in-vietnam.com/ho_...on_hotels.html lists all 5 of them, and shows a sampling of the vast number of similar places.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks KimJapan. I will check out the link.

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM

danasgirl, simply go to www.vietnamstay.com and check out the hotels. I used them throughout Vietnam 18 months or so ago, and they were fine - very reliable and outstanding prices.

I stayed at the Duxton - cost me about $75US a night, but prices have risen. Excellent hotel, fantastic buffet breakfast, but a smallish pool that is in the shade throughout the afternoon.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:34 PM

There are many "entertainment" bars located in that area that cater to mainly Japanese and Korean's. Women are for hire by the hour. That's probably why you found this place on a sex site.