getting from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I have to return to Bangkok to get to Kanchanaburi from Chiang Mai? Thanks for your help?
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 01:04 PM

I would think that a drive would be possible, but the norm would be thru bkk
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Will be flying into Bangkok How would I pick up 1st class bus. or would it make more sense to stay over in Bangkok and leave fresh the next day?
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 01:20 PM

Yes, you pretty much need to return to Bangkok. Otherwise you are talking a multi-day road trip. From Bangkok you can visit Kanchanburi as a day trip or you can stay overnight there.
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 01:23 PM

Oops we were posting at the same time. Depending on how early you get into Bangkok, you might choose to leave that day or to overnight in Bangkok. The flight from CM to Bangkok is just an hour. An early morning flight would mean you could catch the bus and still get to Kanchanburi at a reasonable time.
Old Oct 29th, 2014, 04:17 PM

I like travelling by train in Thailand. So I'd get the overnight sleeper to Hualamphong station in BKK. Then get the early afternoon train from Thonburi train station to Kanchanaburi. An overnight train saves on a hotel, and saves on daytime travel.

Flying to Don Muang is a quicker option, but eats into daylight time. Then either bus from the Southern bus station, train from Thonburi, or van from Khao San or Victory Monument. I don't like buses or vans, so I'd opt for the train.

To get the most out of a visit to Kanchanaburi Province allow at least 2 days, preferably 3. And don't visit the Tiger Temple.
Old Oct 30th, 2014, 02:57 AM

Andie. The only way to avoid Bangkok is as follows...

Bus or train from Chiang Mai to Ayutthaya. Then mini bus/van to Kanchanaburi.

Due to the distance by road, 700 kilometres (c9 hours), and with a change of transport in Ayutthaya, you might be better off staying overnight in Ayutthaya. With the bus from Ayutthaya to Kanchanaburi, you'll possibly need to change in Suphanburi.

As Ayutthaya is firmly on the tourist map, there are several good guest houses, and tbh Ayutthaya deserves a couple of days as it's an interesting place being the ancient capital of Siam. We've stayed at a guest house called Somjai Place, inexpensive, very clean and central, but no lift. There are plenty of other options to suit your budget, and I believe that Tony's Place can arrange onward transport to Kanchanaburi.

Please note that although I've visited CM (three times), Ayutthaya, and Kanchanaburi (several times), I've not done the trip from CM to Kanchanaburi by rail/road before. But I know that it's very doable, and a bit of an adventure.
Old Oct 30th, 2014, 07:16 AM

We did the trip by rental car a few years ago. You would need to break the trip with an overnight stay somewhere. I would suggest Sukothai which has some interesting sights. You could also drive via Lampang which is not far from Cm and worth a look.

The driving is pretty straightforward and a car would be useful for exploring Kancahanaburi and its environs ( allow at least a couple of days) and other places nearby such as Erawan NP.

The worst part of the drive would be back into Bangkok but this could be avoided by dropping off the car at one of the airports.
Old Oct 30th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Crellston. Sounds good fun.

Out of interest how did you manage [with a car] to do the Death Railway trip between Kanchanaburi and Nam Tok (or visa versa), or did you give it a miss?