Getting Around in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I leave for Bangkok in 3 days for 3 days before we hop on a cruise ship. I have been reading about the places to go but would like some guidance on how is the best way to get around bangkok. It appears to me that the BST system does not go to the central part of the city and I am not sure of the best way to see the great places that are there to see. We are staying for 2 days at the Grand Hyatt Erawan and for 1 day at the Indra Regent Hotel.

Thanks in Advance for your help,

Best Regards,

Vic
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Sorry meant the BTS not the bst.

Best Regards,

Vic
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Use the Skytrain when you can, otherwise use taxis. You can have the conceirge of your hotel write out destinations for you in Thai (and always carry one of the hotel cards so you can get back).
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 05:36 AM

kathie has the correct method...use the skytrain as much as you can to get near to your destination and then hail a cab for the rest of the trip...some of the great places are not all that near to the skytrain like the grand palace so the above formula works well...there is a 3 day skytrain pass which you can purchase at the ticket counter at the skytrain which makes it very easy to get around...unlimited usage...another method that many of us like in bkk is river boats...they speed things and are very cheap...

in short a combo of methods is best...a driver like ratt is also a good bet in that she whisks you directly to sites with little need on your part to do planning of routes...do a search here for her name: rat/ratt---used both ways...220B per hour is her charge...
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:03 AM

We also had limited time in Bangkok and we feel like using driver AND a guide worked out well. Read our trip report
http://emcoinc.com/travel/html/Asia/index.htm , click on Thailand trip report. Even in restaurants, it was a pleasure to chat with guide and sample foods she suggested and we all shared.
sophia

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:12 AM

Driver yes- guide no. You don't really need a guide for Bangkok.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Hi

Use the skytrain when you can. It is a great way to get around. The new subway should also be open now so that will also help you getting around town. You can also use river transportation by the way. Boats go up and down the river and make lots of stops along the route. I have posted a trip report with pictures from my trips to Bangkok on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful info there. have a great trip

regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Your hotel is next to the Four Seasons where I stay. So the BTS-skytrain is across the street from the Four Seasons at the Rajadamri station. Just jump on it and it goes all over. Take it to the end of the line Saphan Taksin and then hop a public boat up the river to go to the Grand Palace. It's very easy. As for the shopping, you're in the heart of it so walking or either skytrain will cover it. Happy Travels!
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone for their help. So based on what you said, how do I find RATT?

Best Regards,

Vic
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:09 AM

you can contact her at: [email protected]
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Make sure you spend some time on the river. The ferry from the BTS stop is a good way to get to the Grand Palace. A khlong tour is very nice.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 09:57 PM

I would advise that you try them all, even a tuk-tuk. The Skytrain is probably easiest, but has a limited area. A trip along the river is a "got to do" for me. A trip in a river bus (not a long tail boat) is a cheap experience. A long tail boat is something that I want to try next visit, as is the subway. A taxi is probably the best way of getting around, unless the traffic is awful. Make sure they turn on the meter. If they won't, get out. Finally is the tuk-tuk. You will be ripped off, but in my experience it's not too dangerous. Don't hire a guide, buy a good guide book and keep reading this forum. How about asking for the must-do trips/locations. Let us know something about yourselves, age, fitness, likes and dislikes etc.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 02:12 AM
CFW

What is the difference between a river bus and long tail boat?
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:10 AM

The "river-bus" I went on was full of Thais and not tourists. It cost just a few baht and we took a trip just for the hell of it. I can't remember many of the details about the route, sorry. The most memerable thing for my wife was the look on my face when they lowered the canopy to go under a bridge and it whacked me on the head.

I've not been on a longtail boat in Bangkok but those I've seen have always been taking tourists around.

As an alternative take a ferry trip along the river.

I'll try and find a link for details of the "river-bus".
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:14 AM

I couldnt tell the difference between a river bus, a long tail boat, and a pink tailed dolphin
There's just a lot of poeple , a lot of boats, I try to hop on to the cheapest.
Be careful at the jetty, there are a lot of stands / desks with "Pay here" signs. THey are tourist traps. I approached one and they were asking for BHT 75 for a full day pass on the tourist boat. The public one charge BHT 8 - 10 depending one which direction you are going.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:23 AM

Try this website.

http://www.hasekamp.com/transport2.htm
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:57 PM

long tail boats are long narrow boats powered by a car like engine that is mounted above the water. the boat is controlled by a long pole with a propeller on the end...they are very noisy and very fast...they can hole maybe 10 people on a series of seats/planks that go from side to side...you sit almost on the floor...there is usually a canope over the boat to shield you from the sun...these are available all up and down the river for hire by individuals or groups...the best hire places are at the taskim pier or at the pier in back of river city shopping center....you riverside hotle can also get you one if you stay there...forget how much they charge but maybe 400 B per hour...its fun and worth it...great tour in 2-3 hours of klongs in thornburi to see the "real river life of bkk"....

the public boats are buses that are boats...they ply the river from 6AM to about 6:45PM...they are long white boats with a pointed bow and are red and white usually...the chao phyra express co....it costs 4-15B per trip...they stop on both sides of the river at designated piers which all have names and a number....its a pleasant cheap way to travel and to see the river...you can stand on the rear where you get on and off or you can sit in somewhat comfortable seats (like bus seats) inside in the front 2/3rds of the boat...there is a toll collector who circulates to collect fares once you sit down...they use whistles to signal stopping and starting from a pier...they move quickly in and out from piers so do not dottle in getting off...be prepared..