Search

from guilin to hong kong

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2004, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from guilin to hong kong

How can I travel from Guilin to HK.
Is ti possible by bus or train? (I don't want to travel by plane)
How long is the trip and how much?
I love this forum!!! Very helpfull

Old Jun 21st, 2004, 04:52 AM

I guess u will get more up to date info - my own journey was in 1997. I took a sleeper bus from Yangshauo to Canton (12 hours). Can't remember how much and don't have travel notes with me here. I do remember arriving at 0500 in total darkness in the the middle of a torrential downpour! Nothing for it but to find a taxi and ask to be taken to a Big Hotel. A few hours later I bought another bus ticket and headed on up the coast. I was determined to arrive in HK on a proper ship so my destination was Xiamen.

However, even then from Canton (Guangzhou - forgive sp) you could take a high speed ferry of some sort. Now I guess the options will be greater - and there is a direct train from HK to Beijing which may go that way.

Old Jun 21st, 2004, 07:19 PM

The train route is circulous one, so will take many many hours, and not feasible.

The roads have been improved between Guilin and Guangzhou in the last few years. My parents were on a tour bus last December, and it took about 11 hours from Guilin to the Shenzhen/HK border.

I am not sure if there are direct buses from Guilin to HK or Shenzhen; otherwise, you'll have to transfer in Guangzhou.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 10:55 PM

The roads east from Guilin are not particularly good until you near the Guangdong border. There used to be a high speed ferry service from Wuzhou, with a bus connection from Guilin, but this has now been suspended. There is a luxury bus service directly to Hong Kong, but when last seen was only departing on Friday evenings, although there were plans for expansion. The number in Guilin is 0773 585 7088, but you'll need the assistance of a Mandarin speaker.

There are five departures or so daily from Guilin to Guangzhou, which takes nine hours, and from there express trains and fast ferries directly to Hong Kong. There are a similar number of services to Shenzhen, and after crossing the border on foot you can take the MTR into town until quite late at night. Train schedules are at

http://www.kcrc.com/eng/services/ser...er_shedule.asp

but the last train south leaves at half past midnight, so making the trip by bus, foot, and train in one day should easily be possible.

Peter N-H
http://members.shaw.ca/pnhpublic/China.html
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:24 AM

about 2 or three years ago I took a sleeper bus (which is basically a bunch of bunk beds in a bus), from yangsou too shenzen. (I beilieve it stoped in Guilin) in Shenzen I took a local bus bus too the boarder where there is a train that link too the HK subways network. I too forgot how much evertying cost. or the duration but I found most of my info from ROUGH Guides. south east asia. you can try any any guide book especially those geared too the independent traveler.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

THANKS THANKS THANKS YOU ALL !!!!!!!!