Footwear for Thailand/India

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Footwear for Thailand/India

Both of us have just invested in a pair of TEVA walking sandals. Rarely been off our feet (except to sleep!) during the past two weeks. We each want to take only one pair of shoes and these are truly so comfortable. Mine are leather; my partner's fabric, however they are both waterproof, have a soft footbed and a thick jogger like sole. Worth every cent of the AUD150 we paid per pair. How many pairs of shoes do others take on a beach/walking through markets & temples type holiday?
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 02:04 PM

If you're traveling light, I see no harm in taking only the one pair of shoes that serves you so well. One suggestion might be to pack a tube of Super Glue in case a strap or a sole renders itself in need of sudden repair. Other than that, I'd say, "Go for it." Happy trails to you.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:25 PM

In Thailand, the annoyance we encountered (and I do not remember we have been warned here on a board),

when you walk into a temple or even some museum like Jim Thompson house,

you need to remove shoes! Therefore, it is easier to have shoes which are easly slip off, and off. On another side, if you ride elephants and you have slippers on without straps then you worry that they will fall off in the mud. Therefore I cannot think about any pair of walking shoes or sandals which will be good for everything. I also was paranoid that somebody steal our expensive shoes at the temple. Sorry ! But it is just me.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Hey Lyndie...2 pairs of sandals will see me through 2 weeks in Thailand. 1 pair of really sturdy and comfortable (read: ugly) sandals and one pair of comfortable, easy to walk in, slip on sandals. Since we're planning on having breakfast at the Oriental, but not dinner at Le Normandie, I know I'll be set for anything.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys & gals for input. The superglue is a good idea. We're thinking now we'll take another pair of shoes to wear for dinners out as our TEVA sandals are not all that ugly just maybe a bit too casual. It seems I'm not brave enough to give up dinner at a great restaurant which may take our fancy. We don't want to look like backpackers. (Even if we are-a bit!)Good points and thanks again.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 11:45 PM

I know from your other posts that you are going in December. Locals will be wearing long pants (on men), sweaters, jackets and shawls, you may feel a bit out of place in Tevas, note to mention you could be cold. Also, as noted above, at many temples and other sights in India, you must remove your shoes. Most everything is marble, and marble in December is pretty cold at any time of day (not to mention sunrise at the Taj), you might want to either wear socks with the Tevas or bring a pair of closed shoes. Finally, bear in mind that Delhi and other cities are quite dusty and dirty, and sandals will not protect your feet from dirt.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 02:14 AM

Soil can harbour many nasty bugs which can enter through cuts in feet (I have dermititis under arch). Maybe closed in shoe/boots with cotton socks for absorbtion when out and about during day, and I think any kind of sandal is OK for nightwear when travelling.
Bye
G
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:13 AM

I agree with cicerone and mandq.
I was wishing in temples when was walking barefoot that I would have socks. Without socks, when everybody walks barefoot, there is also possibility of catching decease. sophia
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Tks Cicerone, mandg & emtravel for more excellent advice! In Myanmar socks were not allowed in temples, so I did not consider socks an option, however I will now have to rethink the footwear challenge (more important than world peace and global warming!!)and maybe take the Tevas for Thailand and a pair of closed in shoes for India. Thanks again to everyone, for so much good advice! Luggage space is minimal due to one small wheelie allowed by my husband!
Together with a small carryon for stashing gifts & souvenirs. He is adamant and will not be swayed, moved etc. The things a girl? must endure!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:31 PM

On socks - I would advise AGAINST white toweling ones - they tend to be a bit slippery on marble floors and also you will not believe how much dirt they will accumulate. Some normal coloured ones should be fine.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:50 PM

agree with cicerone.. had a pair of TEVA sandals too which is great on the beach and for walking..a bit casual though, so i bring along another pair of kitten heels - just in case i need to dressed up a bit for dinner or pubs... 2 pairs is enough..hehe