Food Courts- Bangkok

Search

Food Courts- Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food Courts- Bangkok

I was reading about FOODLOFT Central Chidlom department store (on the 7th floor) described as an excellent international food court to try various dishes. Any scoop on this place? Is it worth a trip?

Any scoop on the Emporium mall food court? I heard that was nice as well.

Any other clean food court suggestions in malls would be great to know. Thanks
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Food Loft at Central was the first of a new breed of 'high end' food courts. I found it dark and uninviting. The new food hall at Emporium is much brighter, and features some international chains such as Tony Roma. The food hall is rather hard to find. It's at the back of the 5th floor, behind Swensens and Burger King.

Siam Paragon also has a very nice food hall in the ground floor restaurant area, and another food center called the Orangery just opened on the 4th(?) floor in the rotunda. The Orangery is surely the mother of all food courts. Seating is very comfortable, and there are tables over-looking the whole of the Siam Square area. Your menu choices include Blue Elephant, Giuseppi's and for dessert, Bakerz'in. Unlike the other high end food courts, you order from your table. Pricey, but good if you don't know what you're in the mood for. The concert hall is just about ready to open on the floor above, so this will be a popular place for the theater crowd.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:19 PM

As well as those mentioned by Michael - which are by far the best (but pricy) there are also food courts in nearly every shopping centre - MBK, Pantip, etc - much lower level and generally more local food. Usually you need to buy tickets/coupons from one station and then hand them over for the food - any leftover coupons you simply change back at the booth (same day only) Food in these courts is very cheap but you definitely get what you pay for. The better courts have better food, better quantity and are far nicer places to be. Still the cheap places are fine for a quick bite when you are hungry
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM

I've eaten at both. I just came back from living at the Emporium apartments next door to Emporium Mall and ate up at the food places on the top floor. There are two food courts. They are both on the top floor of Emporium...just wonder around up there. One is all Thai with the food board written in Thai so you'll have to point and be adventurous. The other one is on the same floor, but past Burger King. The Chitlom one has many different nationalites of food.I ate at the Indian food stall on one day and the food was delicious. I went back the next day and ordered the same thing and it wasn't good. But, there is a lot of choice at the Chitlom foodcourt.There are many other places to eat in the Emporium Mall on the top floor...not only foodcourt. When you enter a foodcourt you will be handed a card. You present the card to whatever food vendor that you're getting your food from and that vendor will add the amount to the card. You can go from vendor to vendor with the same card. When you've finished eating, you take the card to the cashier and pay. The food vendors don't handle money. At some food courts, you have to buy a prepaid card. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:12 PM

michael---take your sun glasses off if you ever go back to the loft....it is anything but dark....one whole wall is windows overlooking the city....it is a fantastic place...i usually don't like these kinds of places but this one is fantastic....you are the only person i have ever seen find fault with it, other than maybe the price....

now mbk, that is dark, imo...

emporium was nice, but i did not eat there....i will next trip...i found it a little more crowded between vendors....
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Yes, MBK is quite dreary! Happy Travels!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:18 AM

Central Chitlom Food Loft is my favorite food court. I always try to get a table by the big window. It is anything BUT dreary and dark, imo, and the food is consistently delicious and fresh.

The food court in the basement at Siam Paragon was very crowded, but lots of choices. I would be up for trying this place on my next trip. I ate at a sit-down place, also in the basement level, instead of waiting in long lines for the various food court items. I did not wander up to the new food court on the 4th floor. Didn't realize it was there. Siam Paragon still has many places not yet open, so I kept to the areas that seemed open.
Carol
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Yes, there are windows in Central Chitlom's foodcourt, but I understand what Michael is saying. When I first walked into it I thought that it was dark,too...as far as the area where the actual food vendors are. After I got my food, I went to find a table near a window to get some sunlight since the regular lighting seemed a bit dim. I wouldn't call it dreary, but I could understand it being called,"dark". I guess it's all in what one is used to. I'm just used to lots of light...whether natural or not... in places I eat at, but maybe that's just a west coast thing. we seem to crave light. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM

The net adress of the Food Loft.

http://www.central.co.th/web/html/eng/foodloft.html