Flights from Delhi to Agra?

Aug 17th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Flights from Delhi to Agra?

India experts, i would like your experience..
we are flying into Bombay from US and would like to transfer as quickly as possible to Agra (we will stay in Delhi later in the trip). We will fly BOM-Delhi, and my question is about Delhi-Agra. I'm aware of car and train options. However, i was looking at Indian Airlines website (NOT Air India) and on their route map they have a flight Agra-Delhi. However, i couldn't find any schedule details. does this flight exist? Since we will be at the airport already, i thought it may be easier to just hop on another flight than go into city to catch a train or go by car. Is this possible?
Aug 17th, 2006, 06:45 AM

not sure of specific flt info but depending on your time of flight, airlines often experience delays...i would myself prefer to go by car or take the train in hopes of avoiding this type of potential delay

i'm personally having a car and driver
Aug 17th, 2006, 08:47 AM

hi lerasp,

there is no flight from Delhi to Agra.

In my opinion you can take the train.

Thanks
pat
Aug 17th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks for replies. too bad..
Aug 17th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Its a two hour train ride if you take the express - of course there is also the time it takes to get to the train station from the airport. Having a driver meet you also makes sense if it is not night time. It is about 3-1/2 to 4 hours by car from the airport.
Aug 17th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Indian Airlines used to fly this route on their tourist shuttle. It is only about 40 minutes from Delhi to Agra's Kheria airport, 7km out of the centre of town.. But as far as i know, most of these flights in/out of Agra these days are not~operational/ or have been suspended for various reasons.. However things may change, alot of shufflings always going on in the Indian skies.

There are still occasional tourist/charter flights to AGRA and even the occasional international charter flight comming from Europe, but i wld not count/suggest routing yourself via a flight to AGRA, best go by road, car/driver or Shatabdi train!!

However, I can easily check for u with some folks in Delhi to see what is the latest happening/info in terms of this flight routing for the comming season and let ya know!

However, personally, *I wld say, your best bet if u want to go quickly and immediately is to have a car/driver meet u/greet u at the airport in Delhi and take u to Agra directly. This can be easily arraNGED WITH a local operator.

However, that said, that is alot of traveling i see in your planning, from the USA, via bombay and Delhi and directly on to AGRa. I might suggest u slow down the pace a bit and suggest u take a breather/rest night in Delhi before going on to AGRra for ur beauty sleep. If u stay overnite u can go to Agra the next day by car/driver or even the early morn Fast train if that interests U!

anyways, happy travels and feel free to drop me a line. I am a American woman living in India. happy to help [email protected]
Aug 18th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all thoughtfull replies. our first leg will certainly be long: NYC-BOM-Delhi-Agra. However, instead of spending 1 night in Delhi and 1 night in Agra, we decided to just get there in one swoop and spend 2 nights in Agra. We are fully planning that our first day we will not do much - hang around the pool, nap, read. then, then next morning set out to see the sights, spend another night and then set off for Jaipur the following morning. Essentially, instead of spending a recovery day in Delhi, we think it'll be easier to already be in Agra (and hopefully quieter and no fighting the traffic to hotel and then back to train station/getting out of delhi by car). It looks like car pickup at airport is our best bet.
Aug 18th, 2006, 07:14 AM

if you are oing to stay two nights' at agra then stay at the Oberoi Amarvilas one of the best hotel.

Thanks
pat
Aug 18th, 2006, 10:43 AM

hello there///..Spoke with Delhi folks last night, and confimred no flights operational this comming season thus far for the Delhi~AGRA route. Only the charters.

So yea, the Car/Driver from Airport wld be the way I wld certainly go!

And yes, might as well get to your chosen destination, but Relax in AGRA, well, not the most relaxing city in India, by a long shot!! However, if u stay in a lovely property u can certainly rejuvinate and there are a handful of good properties, including the Mughal Sheraton, the Taj View, the jaypee Palace, the Trident, and of course the AmarVilas!!! I have stayed in all, so wld be happy to comment. *Do note hotels are very booked this season, so do have things sorted out beforehand!

Take care/happy travels,and feel free to drop me a line!
Aug 18th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks for confirmation. we are currently booked at Sheraton, but i'm still trying to see if we can do Amarvilas. That would be wonderful! thanks all for your help. FWIW, we are going in November and the route looks like this (so far):
Arrive Agra - 2 nights
Jaipur - 2 nights
Johdpur - 2 nights
Jaisalmer - 2 nights
Delhi - 3 nights
then, on to Calcutta, where i'm staying with a local friend probably for 3-4 days (depending how much vacation i can confirm from work).
then fly to bombay and back to US. this is our 1st trip to India.
Aug 18th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Heading directly to Agra is what we did and it worked out well. Do everything you can to get a reservation at the Oberoi - you won't regret. You will hit traffic when you arrive in Agra but its easier than Delhi.
Aug 18th, 2006, 12:36 PM

I posted a question a few months ago regarding transferring directly from the Delhi airport to Agra....several of the responses might be useful to you.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34746924

What time does your flight arrive in Delhi?
Aug 21st, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks. that was helpful. our flight arrives Bombay 11pm and we are hoping to cath at 3am-ish flight from BOM to Delhi, so we'd arrive Delhi 6am-ish. if all goes well we hope to be in Agra by lunchtime (assuming some delays along the way somewhere).