Search

First trip to Japan w/14 yr old son

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 04:47 PM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to Japan w/14 yr old son

I usually have alot of info on my travel plans before I post specific questions. But this time I am completely out of my league and need help getting started. My son is very interested in Japan and will be taking Japanese in 8th grade next yr to prepare for a trip w/me to Japan next spring (he has already had a basic course, can do basic conversation already). I plan to take him out of school for a week in addition to spring break week in April 2005. I think we will use my Starwood points to stay in Tokyo and maybe Kyoto just so we have a concierge available to help w/transportation issues, unless I can get my bearings straight on that subject- it is overwhleming me now, all the different trains and all. At this point, we need help w/the basic suggestions for what books to read to prepare, help w/itinerary, etc as we start tackling this experience. My son is an avid baseball player here, hoping to make the high school team, and I would like to surprise him w/a baseball game in Japan. How far can we go for two weeks in Japan after adjusting for jet lag? What itineraires have you done in that time period as a new traveler to that area? He is very smart and adaptable, I am more worried about me holding it together. This trip is for both of us and I hope we will plan it together, but where should we start?
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 08:14 PM

You could start here: http://www.jnto.go.jp/
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 08:05 AM

You can go quite far in Japan in two weeks with a JR pass. The distances between cities are not great and the trains are very fast. The Tokyo subway was certainly confusing, so pack some extra patience. The second day after my arrival day was not good because of jet lag, but after that I was ok. You'll be ok: once you realize you have no choice you will hold it together.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 08:23 AM

Hi emd,
We had a 5 day stay in Tokyo en route to Australia in December, we took our 2 teenagers, 16 and 13 yrs old.
They were particularly hit by Jet lag and it was 2 full days before they recovered even slightly.
They were fascinated by the railways and especially the Shinkansen.
As you will have more time than we had, you can pace yourselves better, Tokyo is one speed ..fast and it is a really exciting city.
Akihabara, the Imperial Palace and the top of the observation towers in the municipal buildings in Shinjuku and Kamakura temples and the Great Buddha were things they both enjoyed.
We were lucky enough to know someone that took us around and we got together with their family to go to many places, including a funfare in Yokohama and Tokyo Disney sea, which was agreat day that they enjoyed too.
I wouldn't normally suggest a theme park in Tokyo unless the children really want to do it, but coming from UK we don't have a Disney exept Paris and the chance to see how the Japanese do it was great fun.
The shinkansen is a great way to ride between cities and one that no doubt your son will love.
The Yamanote line which circles Tokyo is very useful too.
Spring time in Japan is very busy as its such a beautiful time and I guess for that reason the best hotels are booked up quite quickly.

That reminds me I must get on with my trip report for Japan

Have fun planning

Muck
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:28 PM
emd
Original Poster

OK, I am a sap and I am nostalgic. The above post was me, a long time ago and what seems like a lifetime away. Tomorrow my son and I will be doing final packing for the trip.
I have to laugh as I reread mrwunrfl's posts. First, he had the good sense to recommend JNTO's site to a newbie. But then he thought again and decided to give me a bit more encouragment.
I will especially take w/me his words "once you realize you have no choice, you will hold it together."
I have gotten such good counsel from so many of you in the last 13 months. I am more thankful than you may ever know.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 01:33 PM

><
><