First timer to Thailand

Search

First timer to Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First timer to Thailand

I'm very excited in planning my first trip to Thailand (3/13-3/26). I'll be there for a short 2 weeks and hoping to get the best highlights.
I'm traveling with a friend for the first 8 days and then travel alone the rest of the time.

Current itinerary:
Go to Phuket immediately next morning after arrival.
2 nights in Phuket
2 nights in Khao Lak - diving in Similan.
3 nights in Bangkok - friend flies home early morning.
I have 5 more nights that I haven't plan yet. I want to go to Northern Thailand but not sure where. Golden Triangle sounds interesting to me, but so is Chiang Mai. Do I have time to visit both?

We arrive at midnight in Bangkok. We figured after customs/immigration, it'll be 2am and might as well stay at the airport and take the first flight to Phuket. Is this a good idea? Where's a good place to hang out/take a nap in the airport?

I'm thinking that it might be interesting to go North to Chiang Rai via Sukhothai and Chiang Mai and then fly back to Bangkok from CR.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:36 PM

5 days is plenty to see both CM and CR. Sukothai, CM and CR in that order is very workable. You might want to split up your BKK time by staying in town the first night, touring that day and then flying to Phuket in the evening. You could push back your Phuket time and Khao Lak time by a day and then cut the middle BKK time to 2 days. This would avoid the feeling of being in transit the entire time until you arrive in Phuket.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Recommendation before you opt to stay at the airport that night. Check with the airline you are flying to Phuket on as to which airport you are flying out of. I know it sounds silly, but some airlines are moving to the old airport and I would hate for you to plan on staying at the new airport when you flight is out of the old one. As they are not close. The move is not supposed to happen until the end of March first of April, but this is Thailand and who knows. I agree with the previous comments to move your trip a bit if possible. The first day you will be a Zombie around 2p.m. and yo would hate to waste that day since you do not have tons of time in Phuket. You can get a flight on Nok Air to Sukhoithai, then CM then CR. You can also take a train.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:26 PM

We loved the time that we spent in the north. That said, I cannot help but feel that you are short-changing Bangkok/Ayathuya.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. We actually haven't bought the Phuket tickets yet. Seems like there are tons of airline flying there. I do need to check which ones fly from the new airport to make it easier. Staying the first night in
Bangkok is an option, although seems wasteful to unpack/pack for just that 1 short night.

After reading the forums, I'm thinking maybe I should just fly to Siem Reap for the remaining days. Even though I have 5 nights, the last night I have to stay in Bangkok because of the early morning flight back to US. I'm afraid that's too short for my jaunt to Nothern Thailand and I should leave that for next time.

What's the best method for transportation between Phuket and Khao Lak? Ideally, it would be nice to go from Phuket to Phang Nga for a day trip and get drop off at Khao Lak that night.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 02:19 AM

I think you are on to something there.
4 days really isn't long enough to do the trip up north you mention, but would be perfect for Siem Reap.

Or make that 3 and spend an extra day in BKK (loads to see) and go back another time for the North.

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM

I too will be a first timer to the far east this October. We will be traveling with another couple for the first 3 weeks. My husband & I may have 4-5 days on the end & I'd like your input as to round out the trip.
7 nights in Bangkok
7 nights in Bali
7 nights in Pattaya (a time share)
Should we try to go to Pukhet for that time or maybe Pattaya is enough beach.
Maybe stay up North. What do you frequent SE Asia travelers rec'd. ?? Thanks Chris
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 03:26 PM

I'd head north for your last 5 days or opt for a side trip to Angkor Wat or to Luang Prabang. I wouldn't want to visit another beach at that point.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:46 PM

Just one thing to keep in mind. Koh Lak and Phuket are only an hour apart. The diving will be accessble from both locations. I would recommend taking a look at it. You may not want to pack up for the same thing. You have to drive from Phuket to Koh Lak.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 07:51 AM

If you didnt buy a ticket to Phuket yet don´t buy it. Phuket is decadent with sexual tourist, why dont you try Krabi/Ao nang in the same region.
About the North, Chiang Mai is a goog option, but dont go to the Golden Triangle, is not a worth visit, too much time to see nothing.
If you have some time, visit Ayuthaia, and Tiger Temple near Kanchanaburi.
If you have an e-mail I can send to you some pictures. I just arrived from Thailand and Bali.
fernando - Brasil
[email protected]
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 12:00 PM

BeniciaChris...7 in Bangkok and 7 in Bali sounds perfect. However, I'd spend the 7 extra days in the north of Thailand and I'd schedule Bangkok for the last 7 days since you'll probably fly home from Bangkok. Personally, I'd do Bali/Northern Thailand/Bangkok and then home from Bangkok. I've done this type of routing in the past. The only difference was that I went from Bali to Singapore and then Singapore non-stop to Chiangmai and the north and then down to Bangkok and home. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Guenmai-Unfortualy we have time shares so the 7-7-7 can't be changed. Our friends who are going with us have to leave after 3 weeks but I am working on about 4-5 nights in the Northern part CM and then our last night in BK-Either at the Orential or Hilton(The reason the hilton is we are points members) Probably just want to chill out before our long flight home. Thanks for the info-Chris
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

"Phuket is decadent with sexual tourist"

Really?! I know it's touristy, but I never heard it described that way before.

After reading some more about Phuket/Khao Lak area, I rearranged my trip this way:
First 5 nights in BKK - no zombies.
Next 3 nights in Phuket.
The next 4 nights are unknown, probably in Khao Lak/Samui. Then back to BKK for the last night before flying out.
Hate to skip Northern Thai, but I rather take it slow than fast.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Phuket is a large island, the busy "honky-tonk" area is Patong, but don't avoid the whole island because of that. Also, let me recommend that you choose one general area for your beach time, rather than traveling too far, so opt for Khao Lak rather than traveling all the way to Koh Samui if you decide you must visit two beaches.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM

I have been to Phuket several times and with my children and I would not describe it the way it has. It is lovely and as with any tourist spot there are nice places and areas you would want to avoid. Samui is nice. Koh Lak is nice as well. Krabi is still my favorite beach and I am from Florida. It really has a wonderful since of calm. There is a nice Sheraton if you have points.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:39 AM

March is a great time to visit Andaman sea (Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi). At the end of this island, Phuket, Ponthep penninsula, is a nice place to observe sunset.
ChaingMai is good for northern, particularly elephant camp in MaeSa district. Having 1-2 night stay in the resort around HangDung, relax in its spa, try Thai traditional massage. Meditation in peaceful cottage.