Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

First Timer in Bali - 13 Days to Split Between Ubud and ???

Old Aug 18th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a female solo traveler who will be making my first trip to Bali (and Asia for that matter) in May 2011. I have 13 nights on the ground. The last 6 nights of my trip will be spent at a yoga retreat in Ubud, which means I have the first 7 nights of my trip to figure out where to stay.

My initial thought is to spend the first week in Southern beach area, such as Seminyak (Sofitel) or Sanur (Hyatt). I want to be near the ocean (but don't need to swim in it), walking distance to good restaurants (taxi okay too, but walking is a priority), and also near some nice/cheap places to take in a daily massage. I am not a nightclub person, nor do I want to spend my holiday dressed up, but I would love a casual beach bar where there is a good friendly crowd.

At first I was leaning towards Seminyak, but now I'm afraid of the things I've heard about it being a little more "upscale." Sanur sounds lovely (esp. the boardwalk) but I'm worried about it being too sleepy and/or not enough restaurants.

My other concern is whether it's too much time to spend in one spot...with 7 nights, I could probably pick one more location, although in general I'm not a fan of packing and moving every few nights. My other option would be to stay 6 nights at the beach and stay one more night at the yoga retreat (7 nights total).

To complicate matters, I am a beginning scuba diver and would love to have a dive or two while on Bali. I'm not sure of the best location for me to be in order to participate in dives with a local (PADI, 5 star preferred) company.

Obviously I'm confused. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:17 AM

When you're at the Yoga place in Ubud, will you have time to explore? If not, add a few days in Ubud. Sanur is very nice and meets all of your requirements. A lovely beach path for walking. Shops and restaurants are an easy taxi ride. Seminyak is a little more upscale. Under no circumstances should you stay in Nusa Dua. Way too sterile.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:31 AM

I like the Sanur area, and the Bali Hyatt (despite being an international chain) is lovely. The gardens have won many awards, and the pools with a cave and carvings (even below the waterline) are just a delight. It's a nice beach there as well. And it's hard to beat the prices. I've stayed in the Regency Club there which was very nice. You can take some day trips from Sanur... ask someone at the hotel for a driver recommendation - everyone has a brother or cousin or uncle who drives.

The only places I know of for dives (I'm not a diver) are a long way away from anything else. Watch fro Marmot or MichaelBKK to chime in on dive places.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm...that's a really good question. I had assumed that we would be given time to explore Ubud, but I know there is morning and evening yoga and spa treatments in between. I'll contact them and see if I can get a general feel for the daily itinerary. Right now I'm just staying one night before the retreat, but I can easily add another 1-2 nights to that for a relatively low cost.

Are there restaurants within walking distance of resorts (such as Hyatt) in Sanur? Or are they all a taxi ride away?

I will avoid Nusa Dua. Thanks for the tip.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathie! I'm glad to hear the Hyatt is a good choice - the prices are really good and I can afford an oceanview room which would be really nice. I also feel like being at a place such as the Hyatt might be a nice "starter" for my first Asian trip. Next time I'll try to be a little more adventurous.

I saw that Putu is a recommended driver here. I'll be sure to get in touch with him to see if he can provide a daytrip or two for me.

Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 10:04 AM

I have 10 days to split in Bali...Ubud & Sanur, how many days in each??
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Yes, there area restaurants within walking distance of the Hyatt, one of the advantages of staying in Sanur. (And I agree about Nusa Dua - avoid!)

Neuman, I'd split it 5 and 5.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 07:48 PM

I sound like a broken record cheerleader for Menjangan Island but it's because it's such a great place to go. Beanweb, it is one of the very favorite short trips for those of us who live in Bali. There are several hotels from simple to 4-star that have good dive shops and can either take you as a single or to join a group. It's great snorkeling too and not too many currents. Amazing coral and fish in several different locations around the island. To get there, you go up through the mountains past Bedugul and can see lots of rice padi and temples along the way, stop at the Botanical Gardens next to the temple in the lake (Pura Ulun Danau) etc etc (tons of sightseeing...trust me) Then stay at one of the nice quiet hotels in Pemuteran and have the dive shop work it all out for you. A female friend of mine went there alone and got certified and had a wonderful time diving. I don't dive, but when I have friends come to visit I always take them there and they say it's the highlight of their trip...(other than seeing me of course). You can do it in a one night trip but I suggest at least 2 nights so you have time to relax and not spend too much time in a car getting there.

You might ask the Yoga retreat to see if anyone else will be staying longer and might want to join you on this trip!
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 12:42 AM

Most Bali travelers bond with their destination so I’m sure you’ll enjoy yourself whether you choose Sanur or Seminyak. I prefer Seminyak because I like the choice of restaurants (not just the fancy ones), I like the big wave, lively beach and I like the sunsets.

I would think that the Sofitel would be ideal for a female solo who would like some friendly conversation. You might also look at the W which should be operating by the time you’re there. There are plenty of casual bars in Seminyak where you can have a drink, listen to music and not be surrounded by honeymooners or families. Upscale? I’m not sure what that means in the context of Bali. KuDeTa comes to mind but aside from the fact that it’s a bit pricy and likes to think of itself as a destination for international fashion models, in fact it’s just a lively popular bar-restaurant in a breathtakingly beautiful setting. Like all restaurants and clubs in Bali, you can wear whatever you like. Some people dress up; some don’t.

I’ll second Menjangan as the best location for scuba. From Ubud or South Bali you can commute, but it makes for a long day, so it’s better to spend the night in Pemuteran.

I heard through the Bali grapevine that the Hyatt Sanur was going to be renovated next year. I don’t have details on the timing. Be sure to ask as you don’t want to be in the middle of a construction project.

Where’s your yoga retreat? I’m a serious yogi myself and am always looking for recommendations in Bali. As others have noted, you'll want some free time -- day and night -- in the Ubud area.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the additional fantastic recommendations. I'll definitely check out Menjagan Island as a possibility for some scuba diving. I dont *have* to dive on this trip, but I know it would be a really memorable experience.

Now I'm more confused about Seminyak v Sanur. I was worried that much of Seminyak would be like KuDeTa, but it sounds like there is still a really good mix in Seminyak. I guess the good news is that it sounds like both are excellent choices for me, and that I can't really make a bad decision either way. I'm sure I'll love whichever place I choose. Good to know about possible renovation at the Hyatt, as well.

My yoga retreat is with Oneworld Retreats. They have an "Escape the World" retreat (6 days/5 nights) that a girlfriend did and raved about...so I'm going to give it a shot. Already have my reservation booked and my deposit sent in. And I think I've decided to spend 2 nights in Ubud (at the same retreat, but no yoga program) before the retreat starts so that I can have enough time to check out Ubud. This would give me 7 nights in Ubud and then 6 nights in Seminyak or Sanur. We do have a free afternoon or two during the retreat, but it sounds like there is a lot to explore in that area and that I shouldn't sell myself short on time.

Here's the link to the yoga retreat: http://www.oneworldretreats.com/ubud...yaspriyana.php

Thanks again for the tips. I'm really excited about this trip!
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:49 PM

For spa in Seminyak, I can personally recommend Jari Menari. The owner trains a lot of Balinese to work in spas overseas as well. A bit expensive by Bali standards but well worth it. http://www.balispa.net/jarimenari_spa/info.php

When you are in Ubud there will be a lot of great spas as well.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 07:25 AM

Some great restaurants in Ubud, Lotus, Cinta's, Cafe des Artistes, there are many, many more. Also 3 great Museums; Neka, Arma, Blanco.
Sanur is a very nice little town, and we have been going back for the last 4 years. There is also a Cafe Lotus in Sanur.
I do not agree that you get a driver from some uncle, brother, sister, cousin, well I guess you can get one but thats what you will have a driver - who may not know how to speak English, and knows nothing about the sites.
We have used Merta for the last 4 years and he is a certified guide as well. Don't ruin your one and only trip to Bali because a driver was bad.
[email protected]