First time to Asia....Family Summer Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2015, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!!! I want to get a jump start on planning our Summer Trip....

We are a family of 4. Boys are 16 and 13. We have traveled the US, Canada, Europe, Israel, & Central and South America with them, We would love to make it to Asia this summer.

I'm looking for suggestions into which countries are best for a July/August trip. I think we can squeeze in 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. With ideas I can use that as a jumping off point and dig in to the research phase. We all love history, culture, nature, adventure and food.

Happy New Year!!! Thanks!!
Old Dec 31st, 2015, 04:49 PM

Given the time of year, you could consider a few days in Singapore followed by Java and Bali in Indonesia. For Java, I would focus on the central part of the island (Yogyakarta, Borobudur, Prambanan, Dieng Plateau). Depending on how much you want to move around you could also look at eastern Java (Malang, Mount Bromo, Ijen, etc.).
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 01:01 AM

I'd agree that Bali could satisfy everything on your wish list. Indonesia is a good value right now against the US Dollar, although July-August is the height of the tourist season and rates will be inflated.It's also a great time for clear skies and surfing.

You could combine Bali with another part of Indonesia -- Java, Lombok are logical extensions, and there are plenty of other adventure destinations like Sulawesi, Sumba/Sumbawa/Flores or Raja Ampat depending on your interests.

Bali is also good in tandem with other places in Asia such as Angkor in Cambodia or a city like Bangkok or Singapore.

In Bali you could spend some time in the Ubud area for culture and nature and some time at a southern beach. I'd suggest Seminyak/Petitenget. Or North Bali for snorkeling or diving.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 01:04 AM

Just to add: July 7 will be the beginning of the 10 day to 2 week Islamic holiday period following Ramadan. This is not a good time to travel in Java.
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

3 friends have raved about Japan. Any thoughts on that for late July/ early August?
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 10:41 AM

Japan is wonderful - but July/Aug is not a good time to visit Japan.

I'd highly recommend Indonesia at that time of the year. Some combination of Bali/Lombok/Java would be a fabulous trip.
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 10:47 AM

Yup..
agree with the comment above. is better to use a combination of East Java - Bali - Lombok or otherwise.
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 10:04 AM

Kyoto, Japan: 88F average high temp + 70% relative humidtiy = 100 heat index = hot in Jul-Aug.