First time India--questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter is having an internship in Bangalore this summer. Timing will probably be late May until mid August.

I'd like to go visit her at the end of her stay and we could travel a bit, so that means the monsoon season.

Any ideas or itinerary starting in Bangalore and perhaps going to two other locations. The final location should idealy be somewhere near a major airport so we could get a flight that would connect us back to the U.S. through London as I hope to use miles on AA.

I have read this board extensively and have the names of some areas like Shimla and Ladka that have been recommended for August travel.

I'm not familiar with Indian locations or how convenient it is to connect from one city to another. If anyone can help with itinerary ideas, I'd be most grateful.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:01 AM

Bob (rkkhm a regular on fodors) would be able to give you great info as he went to India in November. he is away now for 3 weeks but if you top this post in about 3 weeks time am sure he will offer some great advice
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:58 AM

Smeagol - It is unlikely that Bob can be much help to the OP as he went to India in November. The OP is asking about travel in August.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:30 PM

I think Bob went north to - didn't he? Many others will most likely reply.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:34 PM

ooops sorry for mis-information, however i feel Bob will not be able to pass up the opportunity of offering his advice!!!! LOL
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM

I was in India for two weeks in August 2005 (). My daughter was beginning her study abroad at that time, so it was India in August or not at all. ( I actually went again that December, but didn't know I was going to get that chance...)

August was very hot, but the monsoon had already passed so it was dry and green. I absolutely felt it was worth braving the heat to be there.

As it was my first trip, we did the "Golden triangle", Delhi, AGra, Jaipur, Delhi.

Here is the link to my trip report.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34708806

If we'd had more time, I would have loved to visit Shimla or Darjeeling, up north. My daughter got to Darjeeling in September and said it was beautiful and cooler.

In case you're interested, here is the link to my second trip in December:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34726851
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Icuy,
Was it the latter part of August that you visited India? For us, it would be the first part of August--actually July 30 until about August 10. I wonder if that makes a big difference, but from what I've read it sounds like it might.

I don't know if Bangalore is a place where we should meet as it doesn't sound like a tourist city. I'm wondering if I should meet my daughter in another city and then we could go from there, ending in a city from which we could fly back to the U.S.

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM

My daughter spent several weeks in Bangalore on her trip, and she said there are some fun nightclubs but not much else that she was interested in.

We started our trip on about Aug 22, but the guides said the monsoons were long guide...I was under the impression that it had come in early July, but I may have been wrong.

I've only flown to the US from Delhi (via British Air, Continental, or Thai Air) so don't know about other airport connections. If you do fly internally though, you almost always have to connect in Delhi or Mumbai, so the odds are good you'll have to go through one of those.

Why don't you meet in Delhi, fly to Shimla, then maybe visit Agra or Varanasi?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:12 PM

The above post should have said
...but the guides said the monsoons were long GONE.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:45 PM

You'll probably have the monsoons & reasonably heave rains in Bangalore till the end of June & the 1st week of July.
Going by the weather pattern in South India,there will be a respite for about a month.Windy during July to mid August.Torrential rains afterwards till the end of October.

Bangalore is a bustling city,very cosmopolitan.First timers may find it very chaotic.Once you settle down to the sights & sounds you'll quite get to like it.More info here:
http://www.bangalorebest.com/
http://www.discoverbangalore.com/

You can plan a lot of excursions from Bangalore.The historic city of Mysore.Wildlife santuaries like Bandipur & Nagarhole.Coorg,with its coffee plantations is a great getaway.Karnataka is the State of which Bangalore is the capital is very rich in culture.Check this site:
www.karnatakatourism.com
Since your stay is for about a month & a half,you could think of doing Delhi,Agra & Jaipur for a week.This I guess will work well as an introductory tour.
Shimla is acheivable & Ladakh is off the beaten track.You'll probably need more time.
Kerala is a wonderful place to visit,but not during the monsoons.

Try & fly into & out of Bangalore.
British Airways,Lufthansa,Singapore Airlines operate flights.

If there anymore specfic info that you need ,feel free to ask.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:02 PM

Sorry that I got you wrong.You'er joining your daughter in August is what I missed.
This is info on the 'Golden Triangle'-Delhi,Agra & Jaipur:
http://goldentriangleindia.rajasthan-travel-tour.com/
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 03:41 AM

a. The metrological department forecasts a 5% less than average monsoons in India, for this year. Normally, the rains hit the west coast of Kerala by the first week of June & advances up north in about 20 days. So unless we have a delayed monsoon, which has not been the prediction, you are surely past the worst, by the middle of August. The total amount of rain received varies dramatically from about 5000mm in the north-east to as low as a 100mm in Rajasthan.
b. The location of Shimla is about 220miles north of Delhi, but a visit to this place & the beautiful Hills of Himachal Pardesh is recommended before the onset of monsoons & Ladakh is farther to the north, though falls in the rain shadow areas.
c. The bulk of the rainfall in Rajasthan, normally, falls between July & first part of August. Therefore, you may happily plan a tour of this region. The clouds in fact, add to the beauty of the state after the hot & exceedingly dry months of May & June. The depth of the moist air which passes over Rajasthan – conducive to efficient air condition – could indeed be welcome!
Happy Travels!!
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:37 AM

ctkathy,

As per my knowledge about India, August there wont be any problem relatefd to Monsoons as August is the end of Monsoons.

I am not sre about your interest so would not be able to comment on the destinations you can visit however would like to mention that for the first trip Northern India is the best option.

You can get a feel of Heritage / Hospitality and Culture. As your arrival destination is still not fixed you can prbably arrive at Delhi and can take a Golden Triangle tour (Delhi - Agra - Jaipur) and further if you wish to can visit Shimla also. There is one superfast train from Delhi to Shimla. However Shimla is too touristic and has lost its charm. If you just want to relax then may be ou can visit Shimla or else from japur you can go further to Udaipur and can stay at beautiful Devigarh Resort and can enjoy Spa and at the same time can sightsee Udaipur. From Udaipur you can take a flight back to Delhi / Mumbai and further back home.

I hope the above will help.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 11:13 PM

Hi!
your daughter could try the kerala area which is beautiful in monsoon.
I would avoid Shimla as mountain rains are not very pleasant.
Or as suggested rajasthan - Udaipur, Jaipur would be great.
From bangalore she could take a flight to delhi, then drive straight to Agra (1 night) see the Taj Mahal, its closed on fridays. Drive to jaipur (another 4 hrs) stay atleast 2 nights. Then either you could drive back to delhi which is also 4 hrs away to take a flight home or you could take a flight from Jaipur to Udaipur the lake city, stay there for 2 nights then fly to Mumbai for you flight home.
Le me know if you want some more info.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Everyone . . . thanks so much for this info. I've contacted Compass and have to really put some time into replying as to what we want.

My daughter will have already been in India for two months when I arrive and might have already toured the Golden Triangle. Maybe she would like to tour it again!

I have found out from reading the board that I won't be renting a car or negotiating transportation from or to the airports.

Thanks for all your help so far, and any other suggestions are most appreciated.