Search

First time in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 12:06 AM
boy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in Bangkok

I am a student with plans to spend time in Bangkok soon. This will be my first trip to Asia, and I know absolutely no Thai and little enough about the culture. Is there any essential advice for the first time traveler, such as places or actions to avoid or places that I ought to visit? Will English serve well enough in most places? Any advice would be appreciated
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 04:48 AM

Yes, English will serve you well in most places, and a polite and pleasant manner helps.

The Thai people dislike confrontation.

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Regarding places to make a point of visiting, pick up any guide book. If you want specific advice from the helpful participants in this forum, more information will be helpful, such as the amount of time you'll be in Bangkok, your primary travel interests such as food, ruins, boat rides, and the like.

Regarding things to avoid, be aware of touts telling you that a certain tourist site is closed. That's always the start of being led to a jewelry store or some other retail scam.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 12:11 PM
boy
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far. I do have the Fodor's guidebook, so I know what's in there. I'll be spending 6 days/7 nights in Bangkok next week (03/21 on). I have two specific lines of questioning.
First, I am Currently only booked for the first 3 nights at a hotel, my thought being that I would know more about where I wanted to stay once I got there. I'm trying to spend $20-30 dollars a night. Is this idiotic, or will I be able to book rooms somewhere once I get there?
Secondly, while I was originally travelling with friends, they backed out on me and I am currently forging onward alone.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 12:16 PM
boy
Original Poster

To continue, is it a serious problem for me to be going alone? Are there places that I should avoid? Does anyone know of places or hotels frequented by college students where I might find others my age?
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Khao San Road is the area where most young people gravitate, although it's getting awfully sleazy around there. I always stay at the Watana Mansion. It's a good middle class hotel with a swimming pool. The clean rooms have a full bath, A/C and TV, and they have an internet package for one or two persons for 3 nights for $18/night that includes breakfast and 1/2 hour internet/day, pickup and return to the airport, which comes in really handy after the long and exhausting flight from the US. Buses or cheap metered taxis are plentiful to get you around the city.

Check it out:

http://asiatravel.com/thailand/watanamansion/
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 04:47 PM

yep I will second the banglampu district. it is where the backpackers of the world congrigate too eat 10 baht pat thai.. and watch boot leg movies. most people I've met in khao san have all come here alone.

what hotel have you corrently booked?

you can easaly stroll down the sleeziest soi in town and be safer then walking in time square new york..

but as long as you in khao san for the first time; you should be bussy enough. And odds are you'll find frainds and end up in the midle of the jungle in cambodia or something.

im a young dude who lives in bkk.. so if you have any spacific questions hrow them in... there are many here who can help..
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 12:27 AM

I guess the place to avoid is soi cow boy he he he