First Japan trip

Search

First Japan trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Japan trip

We are planning our first trip to Japan, to visit our daughter who lives in Nagoya. WE will surely do Kyoto, Nara, Tokyo, but want to take her by car to someplace off the beaten path. We'll be there at the end of March/beginning April. Any recommendations? Also, any suggestions in general? Thanks
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 03:44 PM

First of all, what do you mean by "take her by car"? Does she have a car? Since you have not visited Japan before, it'd be extremely difficult for you to drive there.

Just to want to make things clear.

But anyhow, you don't need a car to go off the beaten path. There are lots of branch-line trains throughout Japan to small towns where few foreign tourists ever set foot.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 03:57 PM

As posted above, it is very difficult to travel by car in japan..cars, gas and toll roads are very expensive, signage poor, and the drivers crazy. Trains are very good though, and go everywhere.

you may berunning into cherry blossom time, so it's good you're planning now.

How long will you be there?I would think Kyoto, Nara and Tokyo should be plenty for this trip, but some 'off the beaten path' places that we've enjoyed are Takayama, Kanazawa and Matsumoto. Your daughter would be the best source for this though...I'm sure her network of friends has some "must see" ideas.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 04:03 PM

If she has a car of her own, the chances are very good that you will not be able to drive it yourself, as most private car insurance does not cover drivers other than the owner and spouse.

Driving is not difficult, but it is the opposite side of the road than in the US. The city roads are crowdes, and signs can bo poorly located, but for the most part they are written in English for the major places. Only Japanese signs for smaller places, though. An in-car navigation system is useful, as the most recent map in Englihs is seriously out of date.

You could rent a car...not cheap, but not a problem either. There are plenty of rental companies. You will need an international driver's license, which in the US you can get at AAA. You need this before coming to Japan if you plan to drive.

The train can take you almost anywhere, and the bus will fill in most gaps. If you had an idea of where you'd like to go, what kind of experience you are looking for, and how long you'll have it would help for recommendations. If you have two weeks like it sounds like, You'll have your work cut our for you seeing Nagoya, Kyoto, Nara and Tokyo.

Places to consider might be Shirakawa-go, Kiso Valley, Kamakura, Nikko, Koya-san, Takayama, Hiroshima, Okayama, Kanazawa...there are so many possibilities.

You might want to read the past posts here about Japan...there are many, as well as a guidebook or two, to get a better idea of where you want to go. Frommers Japan is quite good.

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Lcuy brings up the point of toll roads...the tolls are quite high...but, in our experience, for one person, the train is cheaper, for 2 people, car is slightly cheaper. For 3 people, the car is certainly cheaper than the train. But that is considering paying full price for the train. While your daughter living here isn't eligible for a JR Pass, you are, and that could save you a lot, depending on how much moving around you plan on and over how long.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Well, this is certainly helpful. In all our European travel we've rented cars and though we've sometime gotten lost, it's been basically worth it. I am definitely reconsidering. I don't want to spend much time in Tokyo, but figured 5 days in Kyoto and at least 2 or 3 in Nagoya. So one slightly longer trip should fit given our time ( I expect it will be 2 1/2 weeks). Are we going to have a problem with the cherry blossom crowds? Can we avoid them? Thanks to those who replied already.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 07:50 PM
mjs

I pretty much agree with kimjapan on this one. Although there are places even in Japan that are easier to get to by car than public transportation, you can pretty much get most places by combination train and bus. Have never used GPS overseas but a friend of mine had one in his car last year and it seemed to work fairly well in Tokyo. It would seem that GPS would make driving overseas much easier although I never use mine here in the US. Would still stick with public transportation if I were you unless your daughter has a car and wants to take you places.
Cherry blossom time will probably coincide with your travel dates so I would book your hotels as soon as you can.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 07:51 PM
emd

The sakura (cherry blossoms) are variable, can't tell exactly when they will bloom. I was there up until the very end of March alst year and there were none yet. I think they bloomed about a week after I got back.

Please check and see if the Hana Toro (Illuminations festival) in the Higashiyama area of Kyoto is going on while you'll be there. If so, DO NOT MISS IT!!!! It was the highlight of our trip. Incredible juried lighted sculpure show in the big park in Higashiyama, and lighted huge dramatic ichibana exhibits, as well as live traditional music and dancing on stages - a major festival atmosphere, but not overwhelmingly crowded like some other festivals can be. And ALL the temples are lit up in Higashiyama at night during this festival. I'll try to check online and see what the dates are this year - it is usually mid to end of March, w/most activity on the weekends.

Someplace off the beaten path...there are many places, but what are your and your daughter's interests? Does she like art? I wanted to go to Naoshima Island in the Inland Sea from Kyoto this coming April, to see the Benesse art installations, but they are closed for renovations during the two weeks I could go. That is a very cool thing if you are into art and the sea. Instead, my daughter and I are going to Shikoku island in the Inland Sea to Takamatsu, to visit an artist's sculpture garden there and do some other interesting things (famous gardens, etc.) The Inland Sea is definitely doable from Kyoto by train, just 3 hrs. There is a great suspension bridge to Shikoku if you decide to brave it and drive. I think Shikoku might be a good off-the-beaten-path trip for you. A lot of people go to Matsumoto city on Shikoku. I thnk the island is just a bit more traditional and laid back than the other places you will be going to. We are also stopping for a few hrs. at Himeji on the way back from Shikoku to Kyoto, to see the castle.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 07:58 PM
emd

p.s. I am excited for you - your first trip to Japan!! I can't tell you how excited I was last year planning my first trip. Actually, I am getting just as excited now, planning our 2nd trip for April 2006. You are going to have a trip of a lifetime and many great memories w/your daughter.

Fire away w/more questions!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 09:01 PM
emd

Hana-Toro (or Hanatouro) Illuminations festival in Kyoto - it will be March 11-21, 2006:

Although this is 2004, it is good info:
www.hanatouro.jp/pdf/hanatouro_eng.pdf

http://www.hanatouro.jp/arasiyama.html

http://www.kyotojoho.co.jp/english/e2006_03/03-hl.html

http://www.kyotojoho.co.jp/english/e200
6_03/03-hl.html

http://www.kobe-photo.com/htm/touro1.html

http://www.kobe-photo.com/htm/touro2.html

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 11:03 PM

From Nagoya, the Kiso Valley would be a day trip (to visit Magome and Tsumago and walk the Tokaido road). Gero Onsen is also nearby.

Here are a couple of routes for a few days travel:
1) Nagoya- Shirakawago- Takayama- Gero Onsen- Kiso Valley- Nagoya

2) Nagoya- Shirakawago- Takayama- Kamikochi (or Hirayu Onsen)- Matsumoto-

from Matsumoto you can go south through the Kiso Valley or go east to Tokyo.

Travel to Shirakawago would be by bus (if it is in season) from Nagoya. Or you could travel to Takayama by train and then bus from there to Shirakawago.
The route over the mountains from Takayama to Matsumoto is by bus. All the other travel could be done by train.

If you want to travel by car, then Shirakawago would be a good place visit. The buses are not particularly comfortable and in a car you can easily make other stops, like at Gokayama.

Otherwise, you don't really need a car as the Japan Rail system is excellent. I think that taking a car to/into Tokyo would be bad idea.

This year, the cherry blossoms hit there peak on April 8/9 in Tokyo, IIRC.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/RTG/PTG/index.html

I recall from earlier in the year when someone posted about a hot springs facility in Osaka. It occupies two floors of a building, with the genders separated by floor. The gender use of each floor changes at the beginning of the month. So, in theory, you could visit one floor on March 31 and the other on April 1. I forget the name of the place.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 11:07 PM

In the link I gave above, you can look at the Chubu section for more info.

Also here is info about Gifu prefecture, just north of Nagoya.
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/RTG/RI/chu...gifu/gifu.html

And about Nagano-ken, just east of Gifu:
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/RTG/RI/chu...no/nagano.html
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:12 AM

I have lived in Japan for 2 years and do not read Japanese. However, I have travelled extensively by car. It's easy to rent a car (USD30-50 per day for a small car... use one of the local agencies like Nippon Rent A Car rather thah Hertz). You need to take along your passport as well as your licence. They sometimes initially refuse to rent you a car without a Japanese licence, although legally you can rent a car as long as your licence is issued by a 'listed' country. You can get around this by looking confused and just keep handing over your licence, they will usually just go ahead and book you a car. This has worked for me on 20+ rentals!! I would definitely take the car option, it's much more interesting and you're free to stop off as and when you wish. The major highways have English signage and the car will come with a navi system (almost always in Japanese). Whatever you do, do not accept the offer of an English navi system, it's likely to be very out of date and will hinder rather than help. The car agency will programme the navi for you and I often stop people in the street and ask them to help program the next leg. It's a great way of meeting locals and I've always found them very helpful although you should try and ask a younger person who is more likely to understand English and be able to program the navi.

If you're looking for something different, I would strongly reccomend the Iya Valley - it's stunning, beautiful, not touristy and unique. You'll never see anything like it anywhere else. Depending on how much time you have, you may want to consider flying somewhere close to the Iya Valley from Tokyo or Osaka to save some time. Do an internet search on Iya Valley for info. Hope you enjoy your time and happy travelling.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:16 AM

... if you're interested in hot springs you may want to ask your daughter to pick up a copy of the latest Kateigaho International Edition magazine (it's bilingual). Great article on Japan's best onsen.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:53 AM
emd

The Osaka hot spring facility mrwunrfl talked about is called Spa World.

mrwunrfl: Peak season this year on the day I arrive in Tokyo!! WooHoo! Thanks for that little present.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:54 AM
emd

Wow, you've goten some excellent suggestions!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 03:01 AM
emd

mrw, where are you getting the 2006 sakura info?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

My original idea was to do Tokyo, Nagoya and Kyoto by public transportation and to use a car only for getting out into the countryside. We'd love to see beautiful scenery, maybe hike..be in the outdoors. I am thinking that maybe I can still do a car for a week since we'll be 3 people.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Oh yes, you did say the car would be for a country drive. Then the area I described would be good. In Kamickochi you can do some hiking. Stop at Hirayu Onsen on the way (Elainee described it as v nice).

emd, I meant "did hit" this year. So, based on that past performance I think that we stand a good chance of being there right on time this coming April. That's a good idea about meeting for sushi, I can show you Sushizanmai which kuranosuke recommended, for good reason.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 07:57 AM
emd

OK! Cool! You're on! As long as they have some sushi without fish (like kappa or egg) or soup (she has given up on not eating fish broth for that trip) that my daughter, the veggie, can eat.
But let's make sure you don't accidentally order the $20 per piece sushi (how much was that?)...I crack up everytime I think of that. I can see the look on your face when it dawned on you.