Search

Fines at US Customs for copied DVDs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fines at US Customs for copied DVDs

Hi There,

I'm a bit confused about bringing copied DVDs into the US as I will be taking a trip to Hong Kong and mailand China. Can anyone give me any updated details on what the current custom laws are for bringing in copied DVDs?

Thanks
Nancy
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 09:03 PM

if you get inspected, you will have the items confiscated (this includes knock-off watches, bags, etc.) depending on the amount the customs officer may fine you.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Check out the Customs website for more info about what can possibly happen if you're caught, and that's a big IF! It's a chance to take, but it's pretty unclear as to how Customs determines when to check and whom to check. It might just depend on what you're declaring, what airport it is, what time of day it is, how the Customs person is feeling that day, how bored they are, etc. I've never been checked and I don't know anybody else that's been to China that's been checked either.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 12:19 PM

I forgot to say that if you're willing to chance it, go for it! There are some UNBELIEVABLE bargains on DVD's in China. We didn't find too much in HK though.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:56 PM

The DVDs are cheap, all right - 7 yuan or <US$1 is typical street price. I wonder though if anyone else has had my problem? In several cases, after playing them more than once, picture and sound have gone out of synch, and towards the end the film sporadically freezes.

A lot of Australians toss out the packaging and insert the disks in one of those zip-up pouch things with plastic sleeves in order to make their purchases less obvious - although I've never heard of Australian Customs showing any interest. As pirated DVDs are more of an attack on American commercial interests, maybe US Customs are more vigilant.