Feeling insecure about Thailand visit!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the sudden I'm feeling very insecure about the trip I have planned to visit Thailand. All things seem to point to disaster! I think I need a little reassurance that we will have a wonderful trip, despite the signs. If you can't reassure me, I don't want to hear it! Just kidding! But, I would love to hear any advice or comments you might have.

Here is what I'm currently obsessing over...

1. We are traveling the first 2 weeks in April. Which means HOT. HOT. HOT
2. We start with 2 days in Bangkok - red shirts (ok, I'm over that but it was a sign)
3. We go Chiang Mai for 4 nights - Burning Season???
4. We go to Khao Lak for 5 nights - questionable diving conditions in April
5. We go to Patong for 3 nights - during Songkram. Which, I know is not a bad thing, but is that really where we want to be?
6. HOT

We are going during this period because that is when I can get time away from work and that is when we could use miles on United. I am resisting all temptation to mess with the itinerary because it is pretty unchangeable at this point. What is still open for consideration is that we might change Patong to Kati or one of the other beaches.

At least I know that beer is a cooling beverage!

Thanks for listening to me whine. I realize that, at the end of the day, things could be a lot worse than Thailand being HOT....
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM

I will also be in Thailand during April, for the third year in a row. Yes, it's hot, but it doesn't mean you can't do anything!

Frankly, I would not go to Patong... I'd pick a much quieter place on Phuket during Songkran. But that's just me.

I will most probably make a trip to Chiang Mai (for a day of shopping). I'm just happy I have a driver with an air con'd car everytime I come back from a market w/packages in tow.

Just don't try to do tooooo much. That's the main thing.

I'm not arriving until Apr 20, so I'll miss your visit or we'd have to have a mini GTG (get together)...
Carol
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Ahhh, thanks for the response Carol. That is just the calming voice I need to hear! I'm def leaning to changing up Patong. I'm looking forward to Songkran, just not in Patong. Not my kind of scene as we aren't in our 20's anymore (ok, even our 30's!) so not the scene I want to end my vacay on.

I'm sorry to miss you. A GTG would have been a lot of fun.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM

Yes, I have to agree with Carol on Patong. Switch to a quieter beach. Patong can be a madhouse.

You'll have a fine time in Thailand.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM

a/c is there to overcome heat....just go on the beach early and late and do other things mid-day...

consider hua hin instead of patong
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 05:38 AM

Yes it is the burning season in Northern Thailand and the smoke in some years can be truly awful. We were there, I think in 2006, before travelling to Chiang Rai and then down river to Luang Prabang. It was worse in CR than CM but still pretty uncomfortable. I think that was a bad year and it does vary tremendously from year to year. Here is a link where you can check the air quality past and present - http://www.pcd.go.th/airquality/regional/default.cfm

The dive season in Khao Lak is Nov-April so you are on the cusp of the season but as you are going in the early part of the month you should be ok. We have dived there in Dec and April and April had the better conditions. A live-aboard is definitely the best option for diving.

Finally I agree with the others re Patong . Personally I would avoid it like the plague!
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

You guys are the best, thank you! I think I might follow my gut (and your advice) and look beyond Patong. A little more info...We ended up there because I could use Marriott points. I understand that the Marriott Courtyard is in one of the quieter areas, but still not sure. So, I'm looking into Kata (Karon). We are in this area because this is our chance for day trips to Phi Phi and such. Flying out of Phuket airport late morning, so want to be kind of close. Also, husband is a surfer and there is an off chance for surfing conditions to pick up at this time.

I ran across Nai Haron and I'm completely intrigued. I especially like look (and price) of Baan Krating resort. Anyone have any insight?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Make sure you hit Chiang Mai for the Sunday Night Market. This was one of the niceset night markets we have seen in SE Asia.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 06:23 PM

marriott courtyard is not in a quiet area-- it is on a very busy street right in the middle of the muk which is patong...you might get a quiet room out back but i doubt it... it is newly opened about a year ago so things would be very up to date and the building is quite nice---older refit..
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 06:25 PM

sorry this is the courtyard right in town....there are at least two outside the town which are very removed from noise and traffic... they are refits of older hotels
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

I pulled the plug on the 3 nights in Patong. My gut was telling me that was not where we want to be and your responses helped me make the decision. Thank you!

We decided to stay at the Baan Krating Phuket (excellent deal), which is actually in the Nai Harn/So Sane Beach area. We have a car for the week so will have the adventure of driving from Khao Lak to the southern tip of Phuket. I can't find much detail on the hotel or the area and I kind of like that!
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 03:29 PM

Great! Have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 03:55 PM

the drive is a very easy one except around patong, but then there are two main roads going through.....the beach road is when you head north-- one way...

the new mini-mall on the other road has good parking underneath and a grocery store and tons of decent restaurants...
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM

the hotel looks quite nice... phuket town is not nice so don't even waste 5 minutes on it...