Thailand... Which Island?

Old Aug 1st, 2017, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand... Which Island?

Hello, All.

My partner and I will be traveling to Thailand the end of Dec, beginning of Jan (high season, I'm told). We plan on flying into Chiang Mai for the New Year, and then down to the islands for a week. I'm told Ko Lanta is amazing... Any other suggestions? We plan on staying at a nice place (but not SUPER nice as I see some rates can be between 500-700 a night). The 300-400 a night rate is what we have budgeted.

Any help will be most appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 06:12 PM

I'd suggest you stick to the Andaman Sea side of Thailand. Ko Lanta is a possibility, but also look into Khoa Lak and Krabi. If you can wait to get to the beach until after the New Year holiday, rates will be lower.
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 05:01 AM

jw Marriott, khao lak
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 06:27 AM

I went to Ko Lanta in January 2010 and it was delightful .
It was a fishing island and the scene was very calm - not a lot of late-night party people. Lots of European tourists in their 50s there and young families.

There are many places to stay - we chose the LaLaanta Hideaway Resort - was very affordable and rustic with fantastic food and an even better staff. stunning views. Bit of a bear to get to but worth the trouble.
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the help... I'm getting caught up reading all the blogs - such different POV's across the board. One thing I've narrowed down is that we'll be staying on the Andaman Sea side... Maybe Ko Lanta is too mellow for us... And the hotel we're looking at (Crown) has a rock beach, but I'm sure there's a sand beach close by!

Thanks again for the assistance!