Feedback wanted for my plan to deal with late night arrival in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there! This is my 1st post ever!! Ok, here's the deal. I will be leaving the USA for the 1st time next Sept. and flying to Bangkok. I will be staying at The Peninsula from Sat. thru Thursday. The problem is that my flight is not scheduled to arrive in Bangkok until 10:50 pm Friday. I really don't want to spend over $200 at the Pen just to get there at around 1am. So, what I did was book a room for $73 at the Merchant Court at La Concorde for Friday night. I will have them meet me at the airport & take me to their Hotel. I'll get up Mid-morning Saturday & head over to the Pen. Sound like a good plan? Or am I missing something obvious? I guess what I'm concerned about is that while I made the Reservation for Friday, in reality I won't be arriving at the MC until early Sat. morning. Will the Hotel say that I didn't show up on time & give my room away? Or is that a foolish worry??

Thanks,

Doug
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 03:10 PM

If you've arranged your transfer from the airport to the hotel through the hotel, they know your arrival time. I doubt they'd give your room away, but if you are at all nervous, you might want to fax, e-mail or call to confirm your reservation and airport pickup and check to see if your check in time is a problem...though I can't imagine it would be.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, KimJapan!! I should say that I haven't arranged my p/u yet, but will as it gets closer to my trip.

You would think that the Reservation and transportation branches of the Hotel would be on the same page, but one never knows.....
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 06:45 PM

i don't know where this alternative hotel is but the rama gardens is just down the road from the airport and costs about $59. and you can take a taxi there from the airport easily....this is an alternative for you...

i understand your interest in not spending the extra money, but are you sure that you want to have to move????....the beds at the penn are so comfortable and they would bring your breakfast to you on a lovely cart if you did not make it down to breakfast...waking up and opening those curtains and looking out on that river for the first time is worth the whole trip....in the scope of things what's an extra $200....

we always arrive in bkk at 11:50PM....we are usually in the marriott (always our first bkk hotel)---just down the road from the penn---by about 1:15....if you have never had this trans-pacific flight before it is a killer and you need all the comfort that you can have after arrival...for that reason i would go directly to the penn....

i use aac limo from the airport and save quite a bit (usually about 50%)...

[email protected]

it is about 1200-1500B round trip in a nice mercedes....at that time of nite they go very fast and will have you there in 30 minutes or less...
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 07:22 PM

It isn't even an extra 200.00! It's an extra 120.00- splurge and buy one less something. You'll also save the cost of moving and the time moving, which could be lengthy!!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 07:22 AM

I also vote for going directly to your hotel no matter the money. Being able to not have to move again and to spend your first morning on the river is worth every penney extra.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

What I will end up doing is staying the 1st 3 nights at the JW Marriott, and scheduling a pick-up with them. Then the final 4 nights I THINK I may stay at The Oriental. But I may still choose The Peninsula.

Thanks for everyone's advice though!!!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:36 AM

welch $120? I doubt it. £120 perhaps
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Think about being picked up by the Oriental and staying there the first night. The pick-up is seamless. The car incredibly comfortable. They'll give you water and a cold towel -- much needed after the flight and when you get to the hotel they will be waiting for you and will whisk you to your room where you will check in -- no waiting in the lobby. You'll wake to the wonderful river and will be able to stumble downstairs to breakfast on the Verandah-- absolutely one of my favorite activities in Bangkok or anywhere for that matter!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:55 AM

I would also recommend ACC Limos the website is: www.airporttaxithai.com
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 10:56 AM

Oops -- sorry. I just reread that you are staying the first THREE nights at the JW. That makes much more sense than staying only one night. Have not stayed at the JW but am sure others can tell you about it.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

As I am on a budget, I decided to stay at the JW Marriott for it's cheap price per night. Plus I thought it would be a good deal to stay in a couple of different locations while in Bangkok. You know, to get a good feel of the City!!!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 05:13 PM

If you're a budget traveller (unlike many fodorites, but like I choose to be)I would do exactly what you plan to do! If we arrive late at night, we always stay somewhere cheap then move to the more luxurious hotel around midday. You can always use the pool etc. if your room is not ready and you will have saved enough to maybe upgrade to a better room or a club floor and still have some bucks over. Good luck and enjoy yourself in BKK!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:27 PM

why not have a shaufer driven Rolse Royce pick you up and why not stay at the top floor at the orientlal it's only about $1000 a night... your butler will wake you up and hand feed you. it's your first trip why not splerde... So what if your on a budget..