Bangkok hotel for one night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are coming through Bangkok and will need one night's hotel before taking a morning flight to Phuket. Our flight arrives late -midnight, so I wanted to stay someplace nice (5 star-ish) and have the hotel pick us up at the airport. Any recommendations on good deals that may include transfers? Also what about Sumvit vs. River area? We are coming back after Phuket to stay in Bangkok at the Shangri-La.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:26 PM

While it doesn't include transfers, you can find pretty good deals from Priceline.com. We booked the JW Marriott in Sukhumvit for $73/night (not including taxes and fees). Check out www.biddingfortravel.com for ideas re how much to bid.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:27 PM

Assuming a fairly early morning departure, for that short a time I don't think it matters where you stay especially since you are coming back to Bangkok. Why not just stay on the Executive Floor at the Amari Airport Hotel? - You can walk there from the International terminal - there is a separate check-in for the Executive Floor so it's a breeze. It will cost you about $230 - reserve through www.planetholiday.com. Do not stay in the regular rooms they have gotten bad reviews. Alternatively, there is the new wing at the Rama Gardens - much cheaper but the transfer situation is iffy at best - you may be better of hailing a taxi. I'm sure others will opine on this.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:53 PM

I certainly would not go into town just to overnight, much as I love Bangkok. I would also query whether it's worth going 5 star if you don't have time to enjoy (I don't mind paying for facilities if I'm using them, but not if I am not staying long enough).

If you go to
http://thailand-hotelguide.com/hotel.../index.htm?GIH you'll find a number of other options, too, some at much lower rates than the Amari or Rama Grand. I can't remember which one we stayed at last time, but have a feeling it was the Comfort Suites, and everything was fine.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 07:28 AM

I'd recommend staying near the airport for that one night. Personally, I don't like the Amari, even though it is the most convenient. (and for the price of teh Executive Club rooms you could stay in town at the oriental!) The Rama Gardens is close to the airport, and the Executive Rooms are lovely. I paid about US$75 for a room including airport shuttle and breakfast last time I stayed there (through www.asiahotels.com) If preice is more of a consideration, then the Comfort suites are quite adequate.