Search

Feedback on this India itinerary please

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
wj1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on this India itinerary please

I'm working with one of the local agencies to develop an intinerary for our trip to India next February. Here is what has been proposed:

Day 1: Late night arrival in Delhi.
Day 2: Delhi
Day 3: Delhi
Day 4: Early flight to Udaipur, attend Beneshwar Tribal Fair. Overnight nearby.
Day 5: Drive to Udaipur
Day 6: Udaipur
Day 7: Drive to Jodhpur via Ranakpur
Day 8: Jodhpur
Day 9: Afternoon flight to Jaipur.
Day 10: Jaipur
Day 11: Drive to Agra via Fatehpur Skiri.
Day 12: Agra
Day 13. Drive to Delhi, afternoon flight to Varanasi.
Day 14: Varanasi
Day 15: Afternoon flight to Delhi. Overnight in Delhi.
Day 16: Late night flight home.

I like the itinerary but am concerned that we are moving too fast so I was thinking that maybe we should add a day each to Udaipur and Jaipur and skip Jodphur. What do you think? We don't want to have the Indian version of "it's Thursday, this must be Rome" vacation. I've looked at many trip reports and itineraries and was surprised how many of you did just two nights in a single city so I'd really appreciate hearing what your advice would be. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM

i think you would be unhappy with only one full day in jaipur....and yes to me it seems like lots of moving around...

also there is a significant chance of flight delays in india...
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM
wj1
Original Poster

rhkkmk: Would your solution be to eliminate Jodhpur and add an extra day each to Udaipur and Jaipur and fly directly to Jaipur? Do you think we could do a day trip to Ranakpur from Udaipur?

Thanks so much.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM

We did a lot of two nights stands during our recent trip and it was fine. I had the same worries as you before we left. Our report is:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35111329

Unless the road is completed by next February the trip from Udaipur to Ranakpur is not pleasant. They're doing major concrete work and it's slow, dusty and not interesting. I wish we had driven from Jodphur and stopped in Ranakpur on the way instead of flying to Udaipur and then doing the day trip. Ranakpur is not to be missed, so it was worth the trouble.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
CFW

I think you are rushing a bit too much. We did nearly the same itinerary, except we visited Delhi at the end, and we flew from Agra to Delhi to save time. Even then we felt a bit rushed & did not have time to go to Ranakpur, which we very much regreted. I would try to work it out so that you do not have to drive from Agra to Delhi & then fly to Varanasi all in the same day. Maybe consider only one night in Delhi on arrival & then add a couple of days in Delhi at the end of the trip before flying off to Varanasi & then back to Delhi for flight home.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:46 PM

I found the road from Udaipur to Ranakpur fine when I visted the end of December 2007. What might be a glitch is that Delhi gets lots of morning and evening fog in winter and your early morning flight could be delayed considerably. Several years ago my flight in to Delhi could not land due to fog and we had to stay overnight inn a remote location and fly the following day. If at all possible, try to add some "slop time" in to your scheduleing.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM

i have not been to other than jaipur, agra and delhi
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM

The itinerary is very congested & needs improvement / spacing out. You are spending about four nights in Delhi & the rest on far flung areas. The drive from Agra to Delhi to catch the afternoon flight is not recommended. You must reach the airport atleast two hours before take-off & nobody likes the idea of the driver beating deadlines on Indian roads! Moreover, as of now there is only one flight operating at 14:30 by spice jet. Spice jet does not enjoy much repute in the local market.
Happy Travels!