Feedback appreciated for Shanghai hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2019, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going next spring and ending a 5-week trip to China with 4 nights in Shanghai so will want a comfortable but central place to stay. I’m trying to get a feeling for the different areas and would appreciate feedback. We are not typically luxury travelers, so don’t need high end or a lot of fuss but would like to have a comfortable room and staff (ie, to help with transportation), though we don’t need to be catered to, either.

Convenience is important. Access to transportation, near dining options (again, it doesn’t need to be fancy), preferably in an area with some life outside the door.

I’m trying to keep the costs “reasonable”, though clearly that is a very loose interpretation! I’m trying to keep it around $150 per night, and if we don’t have the breakfast when it’s an option, the rate easily falls below this rate.

The hotels I’ve identified are, as follows:
Fraser Residence Hotel
Grand Central Hotel
Cachet Boutique Hotel (smallest room, breakfast included, is about $150/night)
SSAW Boutique Hotel

They are in different areas which seem to each have some advantages. Which would you recommend - or not? Any others that you might recommend?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 04:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have been to Shanghai three times and prefer staying in the French Concession. Look at the Intercontinental Ruijin. It was formerly Communist Party HQ, Mao and Zhou stayed there. Beautiful tree lined area, good dining.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jul 11th, 2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HappyTtrvlr,
The Intercontinental looks very nice but way above my budget.

For a first-time visitor to Shanghai, is staying in the French Concession a good area or somewhat inconvenient? I’m finding it a little confusing to get a handle on this city and where to stay.

I’ve seen a lot of decent reviews for the SSAW Boutique hotel and this seems a good compromise for convenience and good service. This seems to be in a location that’s close to a number of popular sights.

But the French Concession sounds interesting, too!