Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris hotel rec on left side of 6th arrondissement

Jul 8th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I just found out well be traveling to Paris next month for 6 nights. Its very last min, and its giving me hives! Haha! Ive started reading a bit online, and it seems the left bank of the 6th arrondissement is where wed like to stay. One of our daughters will be traveling with us, so well need a place that sleeps 3 adults. From what Ive checked so far, it seems the rooms are very small. Its our first time in France, so wed love to get a place with local charm that wont break the bank. Im aiming for $300 or less per night. Something close to the metro stops would be awesome.

Once we figure it figure out our hotel, Ill start researching places to eat and things to do. If you have favorites in either these categories, please !

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share!
Jul 8th, 2019, 03:47 PM

One of our favorite hotel in Paris is the Hotel de Fleurie . . well located and nice rooms. They have some family rooms which might work well for you.

https://www.hoteldefleurieparis.com/fr/

Last edited by Rich; Jul 8th, 2019 at 03:49 PM.
Jul 8th, 2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by camsic View Post
One of our daughters will be traveling with us, so well need a place that sleeps 3 adults.
You will have more choices if you look for 2 rooms at $150/room than family rooms I think. The Hotel Odeon Saint-Germain is nice-we have stayed there many times. One thing for sure I would suggest is the your filter for rooms that have A/C. Especially this summer with record heat you will want it in August and that neighborhood can be very noisy so you will want to keep your windows shut.
Jul 8th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately they don't have any bigger rooms available. But thanks anyway!
Jul 8th, 2019, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on the AC! I'll definitely make sure we have it! Looks like the Hotel Odeon Saint-Germain has availability so I'm checking it out. Thanks!
Jul 8th, 2019, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

A few others that I found through Amex travel include:

Grand Hotel Saint Michel
Villa d'Estrees
Hotel Spa La Belle Juliette
Hotel Baume
Hotel Trianon Rive Gauche

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks!
Jul 8th, 2019, 06:20 PM

Hotel St Paul Rive Gauche? Air conditioned.
Near St Sulpice.

Thin, aristocrat 👑
Jul 8th, 2019, 08:19 PM

I once put a family at the Hotel K&K Cayre in the 6th. They were happy and I wont drop names, but the woman was famous in self help circles. In any case, they'd had some very nice travels in their lives, and were pleased with this place for a family room. Not really any old world charm but lots of great things nearby.
Jul 9th, 2019, 03:35 AM

Use hotels. Or booking. Com.
August is low season so should be nice.
You can select arrondissement/zone.
Disregard anything below 8.5.
no idea about your budget in usd as we use euros here.
Jul 9th, 2019, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ahbonvraiment View Post
Disregard anything below 8.5.
What do you mean by "anything below 8.5"?

I'll check hotels and booking . com.
Jul 9th, 2019, 04:02 AM

We stayed here with our granddaughter. Excellent location. We had the bedroom and she had a
convert sofa bed in sitting room with fireplace. Charming property.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...de_France.html

Jul 9th, 2019, 04:06 AM

Better site
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...de_France.html

Hotel Residence Henri IV
Jul 9th, 2019, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll check it out!
Jul 9th, 2019, 07:45 AM

tuscan, that sounds like a wonderful place.
Jul 9th, 2019, 09:03 AM

The 8.5 refers to booking.com's reader reviews section. I presume you just mean the Left Bank when you say left side of the 6th, because that would be the border of the 7th arr by my terms (west), at least the way you usually look at a map.

I think your budget is too low for what you want. Even in August. The problem is you want perhaps two rooms for only 267 euro (which is what USD300 is). and you want them large. The apt in the HOtel Henri Rive Gauche is about 300 euro per day, for example (and that's the 5th arr, which is fine but not St Germain if you really want to be there). Now I've stayed in the Hotel Trianon Rive Gauche which you mentioned, and I liked it a lot. It is a super convenient location for the RER to/from the airport and Luxembourg Gardens and the Seine. The Cluny metro is probably the closest or maybe Odeon. I doubt if you can even get what you what there for that price, I think a single room is around 150 euro in August, and a superior double a lot more. They have connecting rooms but that would be way over that limit. I"m not clear on your daughter's age since you say she is an adult. If that just means maybe age 14, okay, but if she is over 20 or so, I don't see why you need to be in the same room unless it's to save money. And if you find a room for 3 adults for 267 euro or less, it won't be a big room.

The Hotel Juliette & Spa is about 400 euro per night for the duplex room, I believe, even in low period. I know nothing about it, but it's a good location. Seems fine to me.
Jul 9th, 2019, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Christina! Yes, I meant the Left Bank. I'm finding, as you stated, that $300 per night is too low for something that won't be too crowded. I'm now looking at apts or larger rooms that can accommodate 3 adults. There are some pretty good deals available online, but it's closer to $400 per night. So I'm still looking...
Also, we're not ones to spend time in our room anyway. We'll likely be up at sunrise and we'll stay out most of the day & evening. So we don't need anything huge.

If anyone has apts to recommend, please do share!
Jul 9th, 2019, 01:05 PM

I'm not sure how much space you want to be "not too crowded," but we recently stayed at the Hotel de Seine with our adult, 20-year-old daughter in a triple room. We felt there was room enough, and the space in the bathroom was plenty spacious enough for our daughter's gear. It's in your price range; the hotel should be able to tell you the exact size, in square meters, of their triples. (We stayed in that room, with her, so we had extra money to spend on food.)
Jul 9th, 2019, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by camsic View Post
Thank you Christina! Yes, I meant the Left Bank. I'm finding, as you stated, that $300 per night is too low for something that won't be too crowded. I'm now looking at apts or larger rooms that can accommodate 3 adults. There are some pretty good deals available online, but it's closer to $400 per night. So I'm still looking...
Also, we're not ones to spend time in our room anyway. We'll likely be up at sunrise and we'll stay out most of the day & evening. So we don't need anything huge.

If anyone has apts to recommend, please do share!
Get 2 hotel rooms.
Jul 10th, 2019, 01:30 PM

ALL, repeat, ALL Parisian hotel rooms are smaller than you'd expect as an American for a given price. Only solution: get used to it, and don't linger in the (cramped) room.

RE:"Once we figure it figure out our hotel, I’ll start researching places to eat and things to do. "
I found it helpful to use Google Maps to zoom in on the hotel location, then click "restaurants' to the left, and you could see what restaurants are within walking distance, their ratings, and perhaps website. You could even then print a map to take with you, showing where the restaurants were.
You can also, after having made the resto map, click in the box above left where it says restaurants, and instead type "boulangerie" if you wanted to know where the bakeries were nearby, or likewise with "patisserie" for dessert shops, or other French words of your liking.

Important lesson: even though it's your first time, and perhaps you have intention to learn French, learn how to say, "bonjour, Madam" EVERY time you enter an establishment, and likewise when you leave. It leaves a nice impression, shows you know how to be courteous, and may even get you better service. The French are a courteous people, and if you act like a boor (which not saying hello qualifies you as one), you'll be treated like one.

Enjoy!!!
Jul 10th, 2019, 01:53 PM

And it is Madame. Not madam. Damn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO