Favorite things to do/see in China

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are bringing our grandchildren ages 11 and 13 to China for 2 weeks. Itinerary includes Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Guilin, Yangshuo & Hong Kong. Other than the obvious attractions, what do you think is a "must-see" or "must-do" in any of these places, keeping the ages of our grandchildren in mind. Dinners and evening activities are entirely on our own, and we have varying amounts of free time to fill during the day. I'd love to hear your suggestions.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM

sample chinese food
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM

cable car to the giant buddha on lantau island... rides on the star ferry both during the day and at night... watching the light show at night... visit to the top floor of the china bank building to the observation deck--i think it is in central...
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM

As well as the terracotta warriors, Xi'an also has a small set of warriors hidden way. I found them thanks to an LP guide. It seems that hardly anyone ever goes there. There is the Bell Tower in the middle of town and around 07:30am there is the changing of the guard near the BT hotel. A small street market opens opposite later in the day.

Beijing has a lot to offer and it is a matter of seeing what is available before visiting so you don't miss out on anything. A good street map helps, and use the subway system in the centre of town.

I have to admit Victoria Peak (15C bus from close to ferry terminal on Hong Kong, turn right on exiting) is pretty boring. A long queue and the best part is probably the ride up and down. A shopping area near the top but few seem to spend more than 10 minutes on the peak itself looking at the distant things.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. I don't think we can get away with NOT sampling Chinese food. However, the kids might be interested in pizza and KFC once in awhile. Lantau Island--now that is something we have never done during our several trips to Hong Kong. I'll put that on my list if we have time. By the light show, are you referring to the view from Victoria Peak? Or the view from the China Bank Building? Any suggestions for a nice restaurant with a view in Hong Kong?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cyberia. Are the small Xian warriors in a different location than the main group? Are you able to get closer to them than the others?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM

For a restaurant with a view of the fireworks over the harbor, some people like Hutong.

I wrote about my dinner there in a report from a trip taken about a year ago; you can check my report; see post of 12/19 near the end of the thread.

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...yssey-2010.cfm
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:57 PM

The light show is seen from the waterfront in Kowloon.
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

So, the light show is an actual show? Is it every night? This must be something new since we were last there. Is it the same as the fireworks mentioned by Ekscrunchy? Mmm--I don't think we'll go to the Hutong restaurant. My husband might have a heart attack when he gets the check. Any other suggestions for a restaurant--or maybe just a bar--with a view?
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM

The light show is every night. It's been going on for years and years, so I'm not sure when you were last there. There are fireworks for special occasions like Chinese New Year. I'm not sure if eks is referring to the light show when she says fireworks or if she was there at a time when they did have fireworks.
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:44 PM

And also the panda volunteering work at Chengdu Panda Breeding Center is also a good idea.(If your children are around 10 years old
Old May 25th, 2011, 04:45 AM

I think Guangzhou is also a place worth to visit. It has a number of tourist hot spots and historical sites to visit. There are also many beautiful gardens and parks to visit in Guangzhou such as the Liuxi River National Forest Park, Yuexiu Park, Liuhua Lake Park, Tianhe Park, Dongshan Lake Park, the Orchid Garden, Guangzhou Zoo and Yuntai Garden. Each of these has some unique significance in them.
Old May 25th, 2011, 05:37 AM

As others have mentioned, the Terracotta Warriors in Xian.

Panda refuge in Wolong or at least the one in Chengdu. You can even volunteer, which I did for a week. But you could do it for a day.

Stay overnight on the Great Wall.

I had kids in mind with all of these suggestions.

If you wanted more details you can email me at my forum name on hotmail. Or check the profile.

Your grandkids will get a tremendous education and memories/photos to last a lifetime.
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Kathie--the last time I was in Hong Kong was in 2000. We didn't see a light show then, even though we went out for a harbor cruise one night.

One thing we always did in Kowloon was to stop at the Regent (Intercontinental Hotel) for a drink in their lounge for the fantastic view. Is this still one of the best places for the view? It was ruined a little the last time we were there by large pole light by a walking path along the water.

Somehow333--all the things you mentioned--plus most of the itinerary in the tour link--we have on our itinerary. However, volunteering at the panda preserve sounds interesting. I'll look into it. We only have one day in Chengdu, though, so there might not be time. And you are the second recommendation I've had for Peking Duck at the Quan Jude Restaurant.

JenieKrag--Guangzhou is indeed interesting. I've been there a couple times, but don't have time for it on this trip.

Atravelynn--Stay overnight on the Great Wall? Do you mean to camp out on it? Wow--that would be a real experience. Last time, we took a picnic lunch, and walked a long way--as far as the end of the restored section. Our guide had never been that far before.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. Keep 'em coming.
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Xian, walk the city walls. I concur with recommendation of a trip to Lantau Is to see the Giant Buddha. We had a wonderful lunch in a monastery nearby the Buddha.
Make sure they Chinese breakfasts..dumplings,etc.