Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Ever freak out during the long 16 hour airplane flight from Asia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Vance

I was on the long flight from Hong Kong to Chicago and after about 10 hours this women starts pacing up and down the plane going crazy. She told anyone who would listen that she was going stir crazy being trapped in the middle seat in a tin box flying through the sky. She told me that she was feeling trapped and was feeling all kinds of stress and fear.<BR><BR>The flight attendents would not give her any pills, or help that I could see. I felt bad for her, she was ready to jump out of her skin!<BR><BR>Interested in hearing from others who have experienced a &quot;stress attack&quot; on a long flight. Or from flight attendents who see 1000s of passengers trying to survive LONG FLIGHTS to and from Asia. Some people seem so calm and others look like they are going crazy!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Ingrid

Vance:<BR><BR>I just got back from Thailand last week. The trip was great, except for the long flight! The Hong Kong to Los Angeles flight was 11 hours on the way back - 15 on the way there.<BR><BR>I am afraid of flying, and have to make myself get on planes. I always take a bottle of xanax with me, in case the flight is turbulent.<BR><BR>What scares me the most is turbulence and the taking off portion of the flight. I always envision the plane plopping back to the ground as soon as it takes flight. I am okay once we are in the air and the seat belt sign is turned off. <BR><BR>It really makes a difference to me when the pilot himself/herself announces that the weather is this or that, that it's safe to walk around, etc.<BR>When they sound calm, that allows me to relax. I hate it when they don't say anything.<BR><BR>I am the person who holds on to the armrests and never looks out the window until it's time to land.<BR><BR>I love the landing part of the flight, for some reason. That does not scare me at all.<BR><BR>I have never seen anyone ever go crazy on long flights. I think that would really disturb me, since I am so sensitive while flying.<BR><BR>Ingrid <BR><BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:04 PM
scigirl

Lots of people are nervous about flying - I'm not sure if the distance really makes all that much difference. However, I wouldn't expect a flight attendant to administer medication - they aren't doctors! Really, it sounds more as if the woman needs to seek some sort of treatment next time before she leaves the ground.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Ken

I think the poster was talking about the stress of just sitting in a tin bos in the sky for such a long time. Kind of like being trapped in a room or small place. Clostphobia (spelling??)<BR><BR>I just could not do it being in a plane that long, I will have to read about Asia only!

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Anna

I've never seen anyone stressed out about flying as described. I can understand being restless through such a long flight. I've experienced this during my first two trips to Asia from San Francisco. Its 15 hours there and 12 hours back. I think I'm used to it now as I've been going back every year. A suggestion, try to take a late night flight (i.e. Singapore airlines from the west coast leaves at midnite) or deprive yourself of sleep the day before so you will be tired enough to fall asleep on the plane.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Trung

Because I can not sleep sitting up, I find that being tired makes the long flight even worse. I get jittery and tense being overtired and become almost insanely uptight with a closed in trapped feeling. Though I have to go becasue of family issues.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:23 AM
mimi

I am off to Australia next weekend. And the long 24 hr flight does not scare me at all. I am more worried about a plane full of screaming infants and kicking kids sitting behind me and folks grabbing my headrest and my hair everytime they get up.<BR><BR>I like being on the plane. NO CELL PHONES RINGING!

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Andrea

I am one of the rare people who actually sort of enjoys flying. I enjoy it A LOT when I'm flying business class or first class (only once transoceanic, yet!), but I even enjoy it most of the time in economy.<BR><BR>I love, love, love to read, and read an average of 2 books a week. I bring snacks on the flight, lots of books (on my ebook, which only takes up the space of one book), pack snacks, enjoy the movie, and read, read, read. I love it because I can read a book or two, and not feel guilty, and not be thinking that I should be working or doing anything else. <BR><BR>I admit, it's odd, but I actually do like flying!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 03:46 AM
Carol

I do some serious clock watching on the long flights. Every hour seems like a lifetime. After about 7 hours I am going crazy walking up and down the floors. One flight attendent told me to sit down!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Leslie

The long flights are even worse since September 11th. The flight attendents do not let you stand in the back of the plane and visit with the other bored flyers, they are afraid you are planning something.<BR><BR>Sitting in a middle seat in coach on a long flight to asia is worse than hell, I can understand the women going crazy!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Jerry

YES! I was just like the lady described. After 5-6 hours I started to go insane with a closed in feeling. Looked at my watch and saw i would be trapped on the plane for another 9 hours, and I started to panic!<BR><BR>I eventually calmed down and made it through the long flight but it was not worth the trip!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Randy

The long flight to Asai from Europe or the USA is hell, just plain hell! It takes so long! I started to go stir crazy after the first few hours and looked at the watch on a regular basis.<BR><BR>The trip back is even worse because of fresh terrible memories from the trip going.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Randy

The long flight to Asia from Europe or the USA is hell, just plain hell! It takes so long! I started to go stir crazy after the first few hours and looked at the watch on a regular basis.<BR><BR>The trip back is even worse because of fresh terrible memories from the trip going.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 06:04 AM
Computer

I wonder how anyone can take the trip, it is just to long. I will be happy to read about asia from my computer.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 10:35 AM
Kathie

I travel to Asia at least once a year. I have to admit that if I was in coach, it would meake me crazy. I always use my frequent flier miles to upgrade. Being in business class makes all the difference!