Notices

AirAsia Punctuality

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirAsia Punctuality

I would like to know if other Fodorites have experienced any delays with Airasia while making connections.I have a 2hr 45 min connecting time arriving from BKK-KUL and getting on my Malaysian flight back to LAX. Similarly I have a 2.5 hour layover in BKK going from KUL-BKK and BKK-Siem Reap.
On airlinequality.com forum,about half the coments are negative with respect to punctuality.It seems it is a great "point to point" airline but businesspeople and others who are time dependant BEWARE! Any comments?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:03 PM

We just returned from our trip to SEA and used AirAsia most of the time except one flight on Singapore Air. We had no problems at all. In fact one flight was early.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your feedback yinandyang--is there a trip report in the works form you ?
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 07:44 AM

I fly Air Asia on domestic routes in Thailand quite often and I would say that on average about 40 percent of the flights I've flown were either early or late. I would give Air Asia my cell phone number at the time of making my reservation and they would always contact me if there are any changes in the departure time(they would call or sms me about 4 - 6 hours prior to the original departure time).

On one occasion the flight was move up by 5 hours due to aircraft problem and they had to use an unscheduled aircraft. On my latest flight they contacted me 5 hours before the departure time to tell me that the flight was cancelled but they will put me on a Thai flight instead(2 hours earlier than the original Air Asia flight).

Overall the service and the seats are better than Thai(economy) and I highly reccommend them if time is not major factor.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:51 AM

Highly recommended-Air Asia has excellent F/As-most impressed with their attention to safety-flew them in Jan. from Macau to BKK-right on time-Air Asia would be my first choice to any destination in their route structure.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:40 AM

as long as you have given yourself at least the minimum connection time I would ensure your travel insurance covers for missed connections (not all of the cheaper policies do!!)and go with the airline. My annual policy covers me as long as the connection is within the minimum permitted time for that airport (this can be as little as 30 minutes) and the reason for the missed connection isn't my fault. Most airlines seem to now build a small delay time into their timetables so many more flights now arrive on time or early!
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

thanks walter-that is a great suggestion.Would you recommend a travel insurance carrier? Glad to hear most comments about Airasia are favorable so I went ahead and bought me 2 tickest--USD 102 R/T each KUL-BKK travel in Nov 05
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 12:11 PM

They are not too bad but just remember that if there is a dalay...well, that's life. I have staff often going up to Chiang Mai and they have used Thai Air Asia and Nokair, they prefer Nokair. If you can book well in advance these carriers offer great deals but if it's at the last minute the prices though still quite good are obviously not the lowest low. Route effects also, like BKK-HKG there are so many ceahp deals already that the budget carriers aren't on the route.