Erawan House - Bangkok

Old Mar 6th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erawan House - Bangkok

We are looking at staying at the Erawan House.

Does anyone have an idea what the taxi from the airport to there might cost?

When we leave there, we are catching an overnight train to Chumphon. Is there public transportation that we could take from the hotel to the Rail station? Would we need a taxi?

If you have stayed there did you enjoy it? Where did you eat breakfast?

Is it close to the night or weekend markets?

Is it in a safe area?
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 08:37 AM

I had to google Erawan House, as I'd never heard of it. I thought it might be in the area of the Erawan Shrine, which is convenient to the Skytrain and in the middle of shopping in the Sukhumvit Road area. It turns out, though, that it's in the Khao San Road area, the traditional area where backpackers stay. There are now more mid-range places being developed in the area. There will be lots and lots of small cafes in the area, catering to the visitor. You'll have no difficulty finding somewhere for breakfast if it is not included in the room price. Unfortunately, this area is not close to the skytrain, and it's a fair walk to the river for water taxis. You'll need to take taxis everywhere, but taxis are cheap in Bangkok.

A taxi from the airport will be about 350 baht.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM

that would be 350 B using a meter....some might want a flat fee..
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM

If you get into the public taxi line at the airport, you will for certain get a meter taxi. They will also tack on a 50 baht service fee, unless this has been dropped... that idea was under consideration my last time in Bangkok. You are also expected to pay the tolls on the highway, so make sure you get some twenty baht notes before you get in that taxi. Tolls are about 70-75 baht total. That is also above and beyond the (approximate) 250-300 fare on the meter.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information

We might reconsider this choice. We are looking for something inexpensive becuase we will only be there 1 - 2 nights but would like it to be close to the Skytrain and or night market. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM

I'm not sure which night market you are thinking of. There are stalls set up all along the street on Sukhumvit, which is right in the area of the Nana and Asok Skytrain Stations.

An inexpensive (I think) place in the area would be @8 Hotel, which is very new. I've never stayed there, but I have eaten in their restaurant and was pleased with what I ate (I think a salad). They have breakfast also. @8 is located at the intersection of Sukhumvit Road and Soi 8. It is right at the bottom of the escalator going UP to the Nana BTS station.

I like staying on Soi 8, and have done so for two years now, and I'll be returning for 2 weeks in April. I stay at Adelphi Suites. It is a very nice place. Clean, friendly, 2 minutes to the skytrain escalator. I'm not sure if Adelphi would be in your budget, but you might look at the price for a "Studio" room. I always stay in a one-bedroom apartment there. I like the space. Breakfast is included in the price at Adelphi.

Another option in this same area would be "Suk 11" which is a hotel.. a sort of backpacker/hippie place... located on Sukhumvit Soi 11. There was at least one fodorite who stayed there and liked the place. Plenty of eating options in that area!

Good luck to you. I'm sure you will find something to your liking and in your price range.

Carol
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 02:30 PM

Just did a google search for @8 and discovered it is called ON 8 (not @ 8) sorry... price is comparable to Adelphi studio. I'd opt for Adelphi, if you want to spend roughly 2600 baht per night (roughly $75). Maybe that's more than you want to spend.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 02:54 PM

I reckon tbrown means Patpong area, carol.

in which case I can suggest going to www.latestays.com and checking out Silom area. Can't help more unless you say a budget. Tarntawan, Tawana, Glitz, LeMeridien, Pan Pacific - follow the best rates. They are all within a few blocks.

For shopping till you drop, Arnoma
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 03:31 PM

Hi dogster! You're probably right about Patpong.

tbrown, there are markets all over Bangkok every night, so there is lots more than just Patpong. Then there's also Suan Lum Night Bazaar, which is still going strong. But there are no hotels in that area. You need to take the subway, which is easy to catch at Asok, and you don't go very far... maybe one stop or two?
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 04:30 PM

you might look at the following: majestic grande on soi 2, sukhumvit....bangkok holiday inn on plenochit, not the one on silom....centre point silom... marriott courtyard
all are near transportation and all should be under $100....

look at the discount sites:

www.agoda.com
www.sawadee.com
www.asiarooms.com
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM

You might also look at the Bossotel Hotel if you want to keep the costs down. Very good 3* property close to the river and within walking distance of the skytrain station and the river ferry pier. Around $46 for a standard room and up to to 68 for a deluxe on discounted hotel sites (taxes, service charge and breakfast included). Small swimming pool and good restaurant. Has good reviews.
http://www.bossotelinn.com/home.html
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 04:18 AM

If a swimming pool is not a must, look at Patumwan House, which is on soi Kasemsan 1, very close to MBK Mall and the National Stadium skytrain station. Very clean. Nice staff. This place gets good reviews on trip advisor. I've stayed here a number of times.