COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Bangkok Airport Questions

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Bangkok Airport Questions

Hi: I'm planning my first trip to Thailand for this summer. What's the best way to get from the Bangkok airport to my downtown hotel? My flight gets in at 11:30 p.m. I understand there's a shuttle bus to downtown hotels that stops running at midnight, so I assume I won't make that. Are the taxis easy to get or does anyone recommend a limo? If I choose a limo, can I arrange for one upon arrival or does it have to be pre-reserved? After a week in Bangkok, I fly to Chaing Mai from a different airport (Don Muang). Again, would it be better to take a taxi or limo from hotel to that airport? Thanks very much for any suggestions.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:29 AM

Taxi is the way to go. Super-cheap and generally quite fast. If you want to be a bit more fancy, you can arrange for a limo. Same thing for Don Muang - go for a taxi.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:00 AM

I agree, Taxi is the way to go. Living in Southeast asia, we are always in and out of Bangkok. We stay on the Sukumvit and have paid an average price of 300 baht ( $10 canadian)including the tolls for the expressway. Always ask the cab to use the express way and pay the tolls. It is faster and cheaper in the long run.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the fast reply. I will take taxis to and from the airports.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 05:03 AM

P.S - Bangkok has a great system for cabs at the airport. You speak to the taxi desk in English and he writes the address on a slip of paper. Then hand it to the driver and off you go. There are hundreds of cabs and we have never lined up longer than 2 or 3 minutes.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:08 AM

the only issue with taxis is the trunk space is very small... generally they are toyota corollas so if you have lots of luggage or large suitcases, you may have problems....also sometimes there is an issue with getting them to use the meter...also depending on what hotel you are going to they may or may not know the way...odd but true!!

for these reasons i always suggest to first timers that they use the limo, which are not limos but just bigger sedans...camrys or mercedes...

i always book in advance with AAC limo---just enter AAC in the fodors search and you will see lots about them....cost to downdown is about 1000B depending on where you are going....there will be no hastle with a limo at all...
AOT the official limo service is easy to book also as they are right outside the door from customs....you will see the big sign...

a taxi to don muang is easy from your hotel as the doorman will give him instructions...again the size issue for the luggage however....

if you book rt with the limo you probably receive a 10% discount...
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:55 AM

While this goes without saying, if you grab a taxi in Bangkok, make sure they turn on their meter before you leave the airport. Generally speaking, the taxis at the airport are much more apt to use the meter, however we hopped in one last time we were there and the driver wouldn't use it so we got out and found another taxi.

It's an age-old scam in Bangkok to not use the meter and charge you much more than it should cost.

So just be sure to insist right from the get-go that the meter is on.

Safe journey!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the great information!