English speaking babysitters in Tokyo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a business trip coming up to Tokyo in late November / early December - probably 7 or 8 days. I would really like my husband and daughter to come with me, but my husband would need help with my daughter (she'll be 2 by that time). We'd love to find someone who could help out with her - not to watch my daughter by herself (which we would feel uncomfortable with) but rather go out and about with my husband and daughter, so he'd have someone to help with her.

Does anyone have any ideas about where I could find such a service? And/or how much it might cost?

Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Hi,

You can find many babysitter agencies in Tokyo, just search in internet. However, get ready if the will charge you some lots of money. The going rate is somehow expensive here if you compare with those in other countries. What I suggest you is to find domestic helper (mostly do not speak English) or find individual working part time babysitter with spouse or student visa. They're cheaper and more reliable. It is difficult to find occasional babysitter here, even for part time they will ask for regular schedule. So, you'd better post some add and wait for them to replay.

I also suggest you not to hire a Philippine babysitter, I had some bad experience with my previous Philippines. Good luck!
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:35 PM

What hotel are you staying at in Tokyo? The 4 and 5 star hotels in Tokyo offer babysitting services that I have seen on their amenities list. Call your hotel and ask.

Aloha!
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:04 AM

I forgot to tell you. I pay 1500 Yen/hour for babysitting my two kids plus her travel expenses and 3000 Yen pocket money per week just to make her happy working for us.
The going rate is at least 1000/h Yen for 1 child. It depends on the number of children, job lists and time (daytime/evening.

You can also simply ask your hotel but then you have to pay a lot more. Agency will charge additional registration fee, charge per child, travel expenses with some minimum payment. The rate can be more than 2500 Yen/hour.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM

I've used a creche in Roppongi--the exact name escapes me but something like Kids Square or Square Club. It's in one of Ark Hills compound. While the staff seemed almost entirely Japanese, quite a good number of them spoke reasonable English and there were other gaijin kids. They have very good security, the place is impeccably clean, I could tell it was used widely by parents working in nearby office complexes. I can't remember how much it cost but something similar to lovelyviola mentioned.

I think Hotel Okura also has a creche for guests on premises. Otherwise ask the hotel concierge.