Reload this Page >

Electric adapters in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We'll be traveling to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia (from USA) and plan to take our laptop/camera/cell with us.

I was wondering what type of adapter(s) I should get so we can recharge our electronics in these countries? Are there any adapters that we can use that are universal (ie. have multiple plugs/converters?) What do you recommend?

Thanks
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 12:40 PM

I need to know the same thing ! Help !!!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 02:07 PM

I didn't need any adapter in Thailand. Cathay Pacific Airline website has this info and also pictures of the plugs.
You can buy a kit of international plugs for about $10 in the US if you are worried.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 02:36 PM

check all your current chargers to see if they accept 110-240. If so, you will mostly find hotel rooms have at least one of those outlets that take all types of plugs. If your chargers only take 110, you'll need the transformers.
Do check that voltage though...I burned out a PDA charger last week when I forgot to check and plugged the 110 only into a 240!

Anybody got a Palm T/X charger to sell cheap? ;-)
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Check out this site: www.kropla.com/electric2.htm
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM

My post should have said 120 for US stuff, not 110, which is Japan.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 11:43 PM

I have yet to find one adaptor plug that fits into every wall socket in every country I travel to, so you do end up carrying several types of adapter plugs on a multi-country trip. Take a look at voltagevalet.com for a list and pictures of the types of wall sockets, and therefore the types of adaptor plugs, you will need in most countries. You can buy them at home before you leave, or if you have the time and inclination, in a shop locally. Hotels will often supply them, some hotels also have them for sale as part of the in-room mini-bars.

Do make sure your electronics are dual voltage. Virtually all of them are.

I have found that the "shaver rechargers" in many bathrooms take US-style two-pin plugs and are good for recharging phones, ipods, etc as you don't need an adapator. Finding enough empty wall sockets in hotel rooms can sometimes be a problem, and the shavers in the bathroom are a good extra source.

I would think twice about taking a laptop on vacation. It is heavy to lug around, it's another thing to carry on a flight, you have to take them out at airport security, etc. While they should be safe in your hotel room, there is always that chance that they will be stolen, and very few hotel safes which I have seen are large enough to hold a PC. If you want to download pictures, you can find internet cafes in many places and can use a memory stick to download photos on to, which is much easer than lugging around a laptop. Also you can find internet cafes to send e-mails and many hotels have a PC for use by guests (which you could also use to download pictures). Try cybercafes.com for a list of internet cafes worldwide by city.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 02:51 AM

Cicerone,

Thx for the link. I saw that once before; thought I saved it to favourites but couldn't find it again.

Now, re Vietnam. Seems there are round pin and vertical rectangular pin plugs in use (as opposed to Australia's at-an-angle rectangular pins) aaaghh!

Is one more modern than the other? or is it a case of South has one and North has another?

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the replies. I got a "Universal adapter" that seems to have plugs that I saw on the sites mentioned above. I'll probably just take that and if I find it not working in any place I'm at, I'll search for local options.

We're still considering whether to take the laptop or not (mostly we wanted to use it as a device from which we can transfer photos to our portable HD). But as Cicerone mentions this can also be accomplished at a cybercafe...