Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Easy beach break by overland transport from Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip starting in Hanoi, Vietnam, traveling through Laos and down Thailand through Chiang Mai to Bangkok. At the end of this trip I would like to go to one of Thailand's beach spots since we are really going to miss out on the ocean for the first 3 weeks of the trip.

I was wondering what beach/island would be the best for a two night stay, traveling overland from Bangkok, and then having to travel back overland to Bangkok to fly out at the end of the trip?

We're 22, young couple, cheap (because we have no money), and are not that interested in partying, but like hiking, snorkeling, basically want a couple days of relaxing in paradise after 3 weeks of backpacking.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions you all have. Sorry that I'm not more specific, but I've been having trouble trying to make this a feasible goal, but really don't want to miss out on the Thai beaches.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 08:37 PM

For a two night stay and travelling by land from Bangkok I would suggest Koh Mun Nork Resort on a private island just off Rayong. Very casual and laid back but the little island does have clear water and snorkeling. About 3 hours driving from Bangkok and on the way back you can go directly to the airport, on the same motorway about 2 hours, for your return flight. They have a web site but it's down at the moment - http://www.munnorkislandresort.com/ For some information on the island check these pictures I've found on flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/newley/...7601990374445/

Apart from the East coast of Thailand you have Hua Hin but the snorkeling is quite a drive South of there but you can relax on the beach and enjoy the little seaside town at night. Accommodation prices varies but you can find some good bargain there.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 10:49 PM

I hope that while you are in Vietnam you would be able to get to a beach, as IMO you will find them better than many Thai beaches, esp those which are reachable overland for such a short time. (IMO the best Thai beaches are on more remote islands reachable only by boat and many of those don’t have hotels on them.) Otherwise, for only 2-3 days and with your requirement that you go overland, the above advice about going to Hua Hin/Patayya may be the best. You won’t find great snorkeling IMO but certainly relaxing and pleasant. Hua Hin is about a 3 hour drive from Bangkok (public bus is possible), so even for 2-3 days that is a lot of road time perhaps. You might look at the new Marriott Courtyard Hua Hin hotel, which may be offering some quite good rates as they are new and not established yet (but quite a nice hotel and on a pretty beach) otherwise you might find other good offers at other hotels. Otherwise, I always find Lonelyplanet reccos to be good value for money.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:42 PM

As Hanuman says try off Rayong.
You can bus to hua Hin in 3 hours or train takes 3 to 4 hours.
A taxi is about B 2,200-2,500 and takes about 2 hrs 30 now. Though to snorkel you have to take a day trip to Bang saphan for Koh Talu Island, that is about 2 hours by road south of Hua Hin.
For Photos of Koh Talu you can go to Google and click on Images at top left and type in Koh Talu. There are budget places to stay in Hua Hin town or guesthouses that are a short walk to the beach. For photos you can do the same on Goole, just type in Hua Hin beach photos.
Koh samet island is another option, a few hours down the coast south east from BKK and a short boat ride, gets busy at weekends though.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 04:51 AM

Never been to Hua Hin but get the impression it's a high-rise sort of place. I have been to Ko Samet - on a budget like you - and thought it offered quite a lot. It's not in the same awesome bracket as the area around Krabi, but for what you're after - choice of acccommo at all price levels; pretty coves to swim in; top end of the island full of restaurants and touristy shops but charming the way tables and chairs are put out on the sand just in front of the waves come nighttime. Yes, and only a couple of hours by fast bus from BKK.

Could be worth a whirl!
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the advice. We'd definitely be going by public transportation since renting a car would be out of our price range and probably out of our comfort zone. I'll look into Vietnam beaches. Really the plan for Vietnam was Hanoi, Halong Bay and Sapa, and then on to Luang Prabong. Is it a bad idea to only stay in the north of Vietnam? Would we be missing out on the meat of the country?

Ko Samet, from what afterall says, sounds like it would be a bit more our scene. So I'll definitely look into that.

Do you all have suggestions for how many nights to stay in Bangkok? I was originally only planning for 2 or 3, but am starting to think more are necessary.

Sorry to be so all over the place. This will probably be our only chance to visit Asia and I'm trying to make sure we get it right. We are really independent so it is sometimes hard to decide what to do and what not to do. We are also graduating with History and Political Science degrees (many religious studies classes taken as well) so we really like to learn and experience history and culture on trips.

Thanks again for all the excellent advice!!!
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 01:14 AM

Why on earth will it be your only chance to visit Asia - you are only 22!! And Asia is enormous. Do you not hanker after seeing what China and India have to offer down the track .?

Anyway .. sorry, it just seemed a strange thing to say. And please don't stress too much about "getting it right" - the possibilities are endless and they'll all have good points and bad points. To be honest, I'd avoid having a rigid itinerary. It's not necessary. You ask how many days for BKK. Look at it like this .. if you like it, stay an extra day. If you don't, move on. Leave early.

Having said that, given your outline plans I think 3 full days in BKK will be plenty else you'll be cutting into time elsewhere.

Can't help with Vietnam beaches. The only location I really fancied was Phu Quoc and that was just too far for the time I had available on my only visit to date.

Have a fantastic trip.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:10 AM

If you become enchanted with Asia, as we have, you will return many times. We took the trip of a lifetime in 2002 and have been back every year since then. Don't try to do everything. Just enjoy the things that you manage to get to.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:13 AM

HH is actually a very nice place and has a gentile sort of quality that i imagine is lacking in places like Phuket and Pattaya (although like Afterall i havent actually been to either so i am probably doing them a dis-service) HH beach isnt anything special but the restaurants are great there are some lovely hotels, but still manages to retain a thai feel. I think for a short break overland rom Bangkok its a good contender.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 05:55 AM

I think Koh samet will suit to get the 'island feel', quiet during the week but gets busy at weekends and in your case that is not a bad thing as you will probably get to meet a lot of Thais who hop down for a weekend break.
I think Koh samet will suit you.
You will certainly be back again and again !

Though if you had longer and based on the fact of your studies, well next trip perhaps try Hua Hin as there are 2 US affiliated Universities there, Stamford and Webster so with what you are studying they might be in fact of interest. Also Hua Hin is deep in history and the surrounds have some great temples and historic buildings plus the wetlands, national parks, jungle treks and nature reserves.

On the beach - well, not the greatest in Thailand because often people try and compare with some tropical island, but if you want to mix a Thai style place with beach and anyone who also likes national parks and nature, it's pretty good.

Wandering down along the beach from the Sofitel last week and having a cool one under plam tress next to a laid back beach bar under solid clear blue sky there was not much wrong with it ! When the tide comes in you loose a lot of the beach but most of the day it is soft white sand. Just south from the Hyatt past the Golden Buddha are other beaches that stretch down the coast and are pretty much 'empty'.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2

The tall Hilton and the Courtyard by Marriott and some of the condo blocks do not lend to a tropical image but places like Sofitel, Wora Bura, Baan Laksasubha ( amazing villas and suites ) and Hyatt, and what I saw of the new Intercontinental on the beach are not high rise style.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 07:09 AM

did you look into airfares to some of the islands? I know you want to watch your $ but if you can get a cheap flight to a paradise and save a few hours, it might be worth it. 20 years ago I spent 6 months on my honeymoon backpacking through asia with no money and plenty of time, so we overlanded it everywhere. we did not even look into flying, and now that I have returned to thailand (with more money but far less time) I realize that it is not always expensive to do things the easy way and fly! at least check it out.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM

I have to agree with others - I can't imagine at age 22 thinking this will be your only trip to Asia! The point is not to try to see everything - you can't - but to have enough time with the places you do visit to have some experience of them.

I'd stick with your plan to visit just north VN. Many people consider it more interesting. You do have three locations in north VN. You may want to reconsider that, depending on your interests.

Luang Prabang is really lovely. It's a place to soak up the atmosphere, wander through wats and markets.

Since you only have three weeks, I'd suggest you cut out Chaing Mai. It's a huge, sprawling city with air pollution worse that Bangkok's.

I love Bangkok and can never get enough time there. There is lots to see and do. But you have a mere three weeks in Asia, and will have to budget your time carefully.

Asia lends itself best to slow travel. Even if you opt to fly from place to place, it takes at least half a day and often a full day to get from place to place. If you are traveling overland, you'll need to budget more time for travel. Thus three nights somewhere is a mere two days. So if you have, say, 20 days on the ground in Asia, choose not more than 5 places, which will yield 4 nights (three full days) in each place. If you are traveling overland (and it sounds like you are), I'd say choose 4 places to visit, as you will loose a few days on the road.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all your great comments, I'm going to rework my itinerary and maybe cut some things out so we can spend more quality time at the places we are going.

All I meant by the 'this might be my only time in Asia' comment, is that I'm not counting on getting to go back due to the financial constraints of flying from the US to Asia. I hope I'll get to go back, and I think the economy and lack of jobs for recent graduates is just making me a bit of a Debbie Downer, but I'll just think about Thai beaches and that will make me happy!

We are already flying from Hanoi to Luang Prabong, so I'm still hoping to avoid that later and it sounds like Hua Hin or Ko Samet would be wonderful options, so thank you.

I was planning on trying to keep our itinerary fluid for when we get there, but I have to admit that I have difficulty sticking to it because I'm a meticulous organizer by nature.

So I guess the decision now is whether to go to Chiang Mai or Vientaine after Luang Prabong. Or Chiang Rai? I haven't really been looking into that option. Do you all have preferences? I was thinking Chiang Mai because of the possibility to go trekking, and I have to admit that I'd like to ride an elephant. I also wanted to do a boat trip on the Mekong, which I know can be done from several places.

Does anyone have any experience crossing the Laos-Thai border overland? And if so easiest place/way to do it?

Again sorry for being very scattered. You all are the best!