Easter Bombings in Sri Lanka

Apr 21st, 2019, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Easter Bombings in Sri Lanka

Churches and hotels targeted on Easter. It just never ends, does it?

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/21/71563...evAEStFgHdkndk
Apr 21st, 2019, 06:03 AM

Terrible and shocking! "It just never ends, does it? " No it doesn’t, nor will it as long as there is religion, politics and oppression in the world.
Apr 21st, 2019, 07:01 AM

Thanks Lcuy for reporting as I didn't know about it. When I wake up, I turn on my MacBook Air and check the forum before I turn on the TV to listen to the news.

Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; Apr 21st, 2019 at 07:16 AM.
Apr 21st, 2019, 07:13 AM

So sad. Itís especially disheartening after a relatively peaceful decade following the long civil war. Hoping this is not the start of a new period of violence in the country.
Apr 21st, 2019, 08:11 AM

I was so saddened to read about this this morning. Sri Lanka was one of our favorite trips. Sri Lanka has been though so much violence and it's been just a decade since the cease fire.
Apr 21st, 2019, 08:28 AM

So tragic. It seemed that there was some hope after the cease fire. I cannot imagine the hate that drives these incidents.
Apr 21st, 2019, 12:46 PM

I have been off news all weekend and just opened nytimes.com to see this terrible, terrible news. The family members in tears. It is dreadful to imagine their loss. Those poor people.
Apr 21st, 2019, 01:13 PM

Heartbreaking. We were there just 2 months ago. What a tragic event, especially considering what they have already experienced. After beginning to recover after so many years of civil war, this is so traumatic.
May 7th, 2019, 10:57 PM

To my dear fellow travellers and friends on Fodors, my paradise island has been devastated with terror and carnage. My wife and I were in Marrakech on the last day of a glorious adventure with ten of our closest friends when the devastating news broke. Thankfully our family and friends have escaped but so many others we know are innocent victims. Don't understand...its heartbreaking!!! Thank you for thinking of us as we were rejoicing that we were on lonely planet number one destination and readying ourselves for tourism and ten years of peace. I just don't know from where these evil people have raised their heads.

From the ground in Colombo I can tell you that security has been beefed up and at an all time high. Life is slowly limping back to a regular routine. I personally visited the lobby of the Cinnamon Grand Hotel in Colombo for a coffee, they are open for business again. The security forces seem to have shown a lot of maturity in the aftermath of the attacks and the training and experience of dealing with the thirty year LTTE war seem to have kicked in and they have done great job rooting out all the suspects with minimal harassment to the public. I dare say Colombo and Sri Lanka is probably right now safer than ever before with all the added security in place so it may be a great time for the intrepid traveller to take advantage of with bargains and discounts galore before the big crowds pour back in.

Please do come back to Sri Lanka.
May 7th, 2019, 11:21 PM

May all victims find peace and be free from mental and physical sufferings. My sincere prayers to all
May 8th, 2019, 09:28 AM

Mohammed, I'm glad to see you posting here and to learn that you and your family and friends are well.