Early Oct Weather India

Aug 20th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Early Oct Weather India

We will be travelling overland Delhi to Kathmandu from the 1st Oct thru to 16th Oct. Ive checked out the yahoo weather and it has 18-33 - no mention of humidity or rain. Can someone give me an idea please of how pleasant or unpleasant we can expect our sight seeing days to be?
thanks
Aug 20th, 2004, 04:36 AM

Not to unduly alarm you, but I assume you are familiar with the current security situation in Nepal. Maoist rebels surrounded Kathmandu earlier this week, and have blocked most traffic in and out of the city. Two bombs exploded in Katmandu today. You might want to read the US State Dept warning at http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/nepal_warning.html, and also take a look at the website for the US Embassy in Nepal at http://www.south-asia.com/USA/.

The BBC News is also a very good source of information (http://news.bbc.co.uk/), as I see that CNN has not really been reporting it at all, and assume that US networks have not carried it (I live in Switzerland and don't get US networks other than CNN)

Delhi will be warm to hot, with lowish humidity because it is not the monsoon season, but there may be some lingering humidity from the monsoons which generally break in late June or July.
Nepal will be temperate (mid 60s to low 70s F) and also should have lowish humidity (going from memory on both, I have yet to find a website that shows relative humidity.)

Aug 20th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Delhi may have extremes between morning and night so ensure you have some light jackets or shawls. Expect days to be warm - bordering on uncomfortably so. Not a humid month in the north tho is in Mumbai. Not a month of rain either unless u encounter the unexpected fleeting shower.
Aug 20th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info. Yes Cicerone Ive been following the blockade.- I get Google alert bulletins all through the day when ever there is a new newspaper posting..... not looking good, but theyll have to break it eventually so thinking positive as we wont actually hit Kathmandu until the 16th Oct which is 8 weeks away - fingers crossed. such a shame that this beautiful Kingdom is in such a mess isnt it? Time will tell whether this one will break it into a real civil war or not - papers say that neither side have the might or numbers to win, thats why its stalemate for a solution. Everyone just running on scare at the moment by the sounds of it..... 8 weeks to go... home it settles quickly
Aug 20th, 2004, 08:50 PM

We'll be doing a similar tour from Delhi to Kathmandu only we are flying from Varanasi to Kathmandu..We will be in Kathmandu near the end of Oct..I am really hoping that things settle down by then, but so far our tour company is not cancelling any of their tours in the area...So I am keeping my fingers crossed as well....