Driving in Northern Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Northern Thailand at the end of August-beginning of September. This will be our first trip to Thailand. I have been researching things to do in the area and it sounds like renting a car and driving is a good option. I was interested in driving the Mae Hong Son loop or the Golden Triangle loop as recommended in the Budget website http://www.budget.co.th/travel_worldclass.php. I am worried about road conditions during the rainy season. Does anybody know if they are safe to drive at this time of the year? Which one of the two drives is more interesting?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:25 PM

For a first trip to Thailand, I'd recommend that you hire a car and driver rather than self-drive. The price is about the same, and you'll be able to enjoy the scenic drive more if you are passengers rather than driving and navigating.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Driving in Thailand is not for the faint of heart, even in the far north. In addition to all the other road hazards, there are a lot of police checkpoints in the border area you're talking about. Navigating these when you don't speak the language might prove difficult.

And speaking of language, a lot of road signs in the provinces are not in English. God knows what you'll miss without a Thai driver.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Hire a driver and car. I have used a wonderful woman named Poon. It's not particularly expensive and you will enjoy the trip much more. Both drives are wonderful -- the Mae Hong Son loop is less touristy. What are your interests and how much time do you have?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Eva,

We drove from Chiang Rai up to Chiang Sean and around the area, Queen mother's home Doi Tung etc in May last year. Driving was extremely easy and the roads were in good condition. We have driven in lots of countries though in places like India and Iran where the road conditions are truely crazy we have taken a car and driver.

I can't speak to other locations in northern Thailand but in the Golden Traingle area it's very easy. We booked through budget and had no problems.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:16 PM

i agree with well-brit...roads are excellent and there are not too many of them....easy to get around...there was almost no traffic at all....renting is less expensive than a car and driver up there...the round trip to our hotel from the CR airport alone would have cost more than the car rental for 4 days...

off main roads may be another issue however....

the anantara hotel is fantastic if you can stay there...
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much.
We are interested in seing beatiful countryside, hilltribes, etc.
I just heard there was some serious flooding in Pai (Mae Hong Son loop) last year. Does anybody know if the resorts are open again? We will be there during the rainy season. Do these places flood frequently?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:43 AM

There are often floods in the peak rainy season, otherwise when it's just 'rain' is actualy some of the best times to enjoy the scenery as everything 'greens up' ( if that makes sense! ). Pai is a lovely area. Try Fern Resort if you enjoy natural surrounds.

Drive with extreme caution, I am with Michael on this one!

Ensure you have an International driving permit, it's the law.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:44 AM

If you do decide to drive Budget is in my humble opinion the best.
I would go with a local car+driver but that's my personal opinion.